Rayman 3D- Rayman 2 port on Nintendo 3DS

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
wow another Rayman 2 port i'll be absolutely sure to never pick this up even when its in the bargain bin for 99p. I have played this game on 3 different systems, couldn't they have at least released Rayman 3

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman Origins is coming out and they expect us to buy this for the 536th time?

Nintendo obviously made a mistake.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
i really really wanted this to be a rayman origins 3d port, but clearly ubishaft just want to make a cash-in on a dirty quick port!

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Nintendo 64, Windows, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Color, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Network and iOS

And now this. It's the TENTH system this title will be in. And the third Nintendo one.

This seems like a joke and I hope it's just a misunderstanding.

Fourth* Nintendo one, thanks _Chaz_

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
Nintendo 64, Windows, Dreamcast, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Color, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Network and iOS

And now this. It's the TENTH system this title will be in. And the fourth Nintendo one.

This seems like a joke and I hope it's just a misunderstanding.
fixed

LINK289

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow... I beat the game once on the N64 a long time ago and a few months ago on the DS... I wonder if I will feel like doing it all over again.

If there are no framerate issues I might consider it.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might pick the game up in the bargain bin if it's a decent port *cough Rayman DS cough*. At least now if the porting is done right, there should be a decent portable version of the Dreamcast game with good controls *cough iOS Rayman 2 cough*.

But as it is, i definitely would have preferred Rayman 3 or Origins. There's still hope for Origins, 3DS was one of the systems Ubisoft was considering putting the game on. We'll see.

WeaponX

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I might pick the game up in the bargain bin if it's a decent port *cough Rayman DS cough*. At least now if the porting is done right, there should be a decent portable version of the Dreamcast game with good controls *cough iOS Rayman 2 cough*.

But as it is, i definitely would have preferred Rayman 3 or Origins. There's still hope for Origins, 3DS was one of the systems Ubisoft was considering putting the game on. We'll see.

why would anyone who is a real gamers waste time or money on this?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had Rayman 2 DS been any good I'd not want this. Rayman GBA was great, worked well but the DS one was just tragic really. Would have been nice if this was Rayman 2 + 3.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, what's wrong with you people? Rayman 2 is a game that's very -difficult- to play in optimal conditions. The N64 version is practically illegible on an HDTV (and has game-breaking problems in Project64), the PSX/PS2 versions are rubbish, the PC port doesn't support analog controls and is plagued with video card issues on modern machines. I've been considering buying a Dreamcast to play it, but now that I know it's coming to the 3DS, I am nothing short of stoked. Very good news!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sillypatterson said:
Wow, what's wrong with you people? Rayman 2 is a game that's very -difficult- to play in optimal conditions. The N64 version is practically illegible on an HDTV (and has game-breaking problems in Project64), the PSX/PS2 versions are rubbish, the PC port doesn't support analog controls and is plagued with video card issues on modern machines. I've been considering buying a Dreamcast to play it, but now that I know it's coming to the 3DS, I am nothing short of stoked. Very good news!
Plays just perfectly in Project64 for me, virtually flawless with Glide64 (with the glitch64 wrapper). I've beaten the entire game on an emulator without encountering any sort of bugs besides graphical ones (which are fixed in glide64). With a counter factor set to 1, and using the Glide64 gfx plugin, it's pretty much flawless and plays in HD. I never had any issues playing the real version on an HDTV either though. Not any worse than i did on a standard old tube tv. PSX version is obviously a given considering it is the worst looking version, only eclipsed in some cases by the DS version (which looks better or far worse depending on the area you're in). What can you say though? The PS1 version is actually very impressive graphically for a PS1 game. It's one of the best looking games on the system. It's rather impressive they managed to get it to work as well as it does on the PS1. The problem is not the graphics, but the fact that they removed many of the levels, and scaled back others. It was totally unnecessary.

The PS2 version is arguably the best one in many cases thanks to the extra levels and enhanced scenery in the game. I consider it superior to the DC version personally. Only issues i have are the framerate. I don't think it outputs at as high of a resolution either. Those negligible things don't bother me considering what they added though. The level design and graphical enhancements make up for it to me. I especially adore the new level selection hub, which far outclasses the original linear selection. DC version is the most perfect vision of the original concept, high resolution and smooth framerate. As for the PC version, i recall using a Gravis gamepad with analog controls for it. So i'm pretty sure it's something wrong with your configuration or whatever (i'll try the game in vmware later to see if my Logitech controller works). PC version can render in the highest resolution of them all, so it has its own advantages. The biggest issue with the PC version is that it's very difficult to get working on Windows 7. I have to use VMware with a copy of XP to get it to load at all. The game's installer won't even boot whatsoever in Win7...

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
sillypatterson said:
Plays just perfectly in Project64 for me, virtually flawless with Glide64 (with the glitch64 wrapper). I've beaten the entire game on an emulator without encountering any sort of bugs besides graphical ones (which are fixed in glide64). With a counter factor set to 1, and using the Glide64 gfx plugin, it's pretty much flawless and plays in HD. I never had any issues playing the real version on an HDTV either though. Not any worse than i did on a standard old tube tv. PSX version is obviously a given considering it is the worst looking version, only eclipsed in some cases by the DS version (which looks better or far worse depending on the area you're in). What can you say though? The PS1 version is actually very impressive graphically for a PS1 game. It's one of the best looking games on the system. It's rather impressive they managed to get it to work as well as it does on the PS1. The problem is not the graphics, but the fact that they removed many of the levels, and scaled back others. It was totally unnecessary.

The PS2 version is arguably the best one in many cases thanks to the extra levels and enhanced scenery in the game. I consider it superior to the DC version personally. Only issues i have are the framerate. I don't think it outputs at as high of a resolution either. Those negligible things don't bother me considering what they added though. The level design and graphical enhancements make up for it to me. I especially adore the new level selection hub, which far outclasses the original linear selection. DC version is the most perfect vision of the original concept, high resolution and smooth framerate. As for the PC version, i recall using a Gravis gamepad with analog controls for it. So i'm pretty sure it's something wrong with your configuration or whatever (i'll try the game in vmware later to see if my Logitech controller works). PC version can render in the highest resolution of them all, so it has its own advantages. The biggest issue with the PC version is that it's very difficult to get working on Windows 7. I have to use VMware with a copy of XP to get it to load at all. The game's installer won't even boot whatsoever in Win7...
Their is also an iOS version, I've been meaning to try it for awhile. Anyway, I love the first Rayman. I remember it was one of the first games I played.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i think i mentioned the iOS version in this thread. It's a port of the Dreamcast version apparently. I haven't tried it, but i can't imagine it controlling very nicely being touchscreen-only. I've read numerous reviews and hands on impressions that confirm this suspicion. Feel free to buy it if you want, just don't expect it to be very fun. The controls will be frustrating as hell.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
sillypatterson said:

Hrmm, I couldn't get accustomed to the frequent load times on the PS2 version. The hub world added to my frustration with such, and I Goozexed it off rather quickly. Even the saving felt like it took about twenty seconds longer than was comfortable.

I'll have to try that N64 configuration. I've been looking for something that works for some time!
biggrin.gif
My problems with the PC version probably were configuration, the documentation was sparse and I was having trouble finding anything on the 'net about it or its controls.

I assume the Glide64 wrapper/config fix the problem where lums/sprites would appear through all objects? Off to hunt wrappers
nayps3.gif

Edit: It doesn't seem to want to run at full speed >< Bleh.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, if you use glide64 (with the glitch64 wrapper, which you can find on emucr btw), all glitches are fixed. No issues with sprites appearing through objects or being discolored or whatever. There's even an option called "read every frame" which fixes the swirling effect used in level transitions. Of course, glide64 does tend to have somewhat high system requirements, but i was able to get it working pretty well on a low-tier laptop.

I guess this is swaying a bit offtopic though now...

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thats a little disappointment to hear that it will only be a rayman 2 port, neither a complete new game nor a port of an other rayman game. there is nothing wrong with the game, it was quite good and enjoyable, but not that good that it would deserve this much ports. also the game was already ported for ds, so if somebody who didn't experience it yet would want to try it out he could just get the ds version, as the 3ds system will be compatible with the cartridges. so i don't really see the sense of it, seems like a pure commercial action. too bad

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While i would agree that too many ports isn't a good thing, Rayman DS is horrifying. It's a terrible port in every way (except maybe the sound, which wasn't a bad replication of the N64 game). I'd pity the person who only got to experience it on the DS. It should be avoided at all costs. One reason i'm not really mad about this 3DS version. If the porting goes well, it will be the first GOOD handheld version we've gotten. Even iOS, despite being a decent port, was ruined by horrible controls.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv