geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I should be excited for this port of Rayman 2. It's one of my favorite games, and, when on the proper system, a masterful experience, with a whimsical, delightful style, a fantastic soundtrack, and unmatched gameplay for the time. It's all very good fun, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it already.

However, I have vivid memories of the DS's launch, and how excited I was for Rayman DS to come out. I couldn't wait to have one of my most cherished games in the palm of my hand. When I went out and made the purchase, I was confident that I was going to be able to experience Rayman 2 all over again in a perfect handheld form. However, I was severely disappointed, offended even, at the poor quality of the port. Imprecise control (on touchscreen AND the D-pad, surprisingly), crippled textures and framerate, and shortened music tracks made Rayman DS the perfect storm of nostalgia-ruining madness. When one sees how well Nontendo had done adapting its own Super Mario 64 to the platform, there's simply no excuse for Rayman's DS offering to be so sloppily executed, and so bare-bones of a port.

I also had the opportunity to try the iOS port or Rayman 2, simply to see how it fared. Gameloft and Ubisoft certainly captured the core of the game well enough, but with many little quirks and meddlesome changes that ruin the experience. The controls, as expected, aren't superb. And while based on the Dreamcast version, the textures in this port are noticeably deficient in comparison, and at times inferior to even the Nintendo 64 version of the game. Also, the team decided to add many things that simply seem out-of-place at times, including an awkward new overworld screen that doesn't work nearly as well as the previous one. This is by no means a horrid port, but the quality seems to slowly degrade as one progresses, and it still doesn't do this masterful game justice.

It is because of these two ports that I'm having trouble getting excited for this one. It seems Ubisoft has grown rather careless in how it handles its most cherished games and franchises. They have taken the liberty of providing what is arguably their best game across modern platforms, but fail to take care in how well it performs and captures the game's original magic.

Who knows? Perhaps this version of Rayman 2 will finally be the perfect handheld version. After all, the 3DS is more than capable, if not overqualified, of delivering a fifth generation game. However, if Ubisoft continues its trend of careless porting simply for the sake of proliferation, prepare to once again be rudely disturbed from the wonderful experience that Rayman 2 provided in its original form.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sillypatterson said:
Wow, what's wrong with you people? Rayman 2 is a game that's very -difficult- to play in optimal conditions. The N64 version is practically illegible on an HDTV (and has game-breaking problems in Project64), the PSX/PS2 versions are rubbish, the PC port doesn't support analog controls and is plagued with video card issues on modern machines. I've been considering buying a Dreamcast to play it, but now that I know it's coming to the 3DS, I am nothing short of stoked. Very good news!
I can confirm, what granville said. The PC version definitely supports analogue controllers. I played it with a Joystick, back then.
Pretty much every graphic problem should be solved, by using nGlide.
Only problem I have is, that the game won't even install on my OS.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
DAMM i just realized that this was my first ds game and it sucked !!!!
i i just bought a bundle which it camed with rayman 3D !!
i didnt know that they were the same game

NOOOOOOO

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-