RANT about current CFW standing and frustrations.

JayBae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before long some people are going to say it is Nintendo's fault that they pirate games. If Nintendo didn't make the Switch all this won't have happen. Nintendo is the big picture. How about blame the air that you breath. If the air were not there you won't be pirating right? Even bigger picture.
Personally I've never pirated a game on my switch, I bought and payed for every game i play on there, Also people already claim that making backups/copies and ripping roms is Nintendo's fault, tho that person is just enabling the act of piracy lol, they think that just cause Nintendo is crap at extending the life cycles of their own games ... that somehow justifies their use of pirating tools.

Like I said, I have never pirated a game on switch, but at the same time I can see why some people do, and TBH, there are a lot of them here... I'm more interested in adding mods and using cheats and editing save files, I don't need to pirate every game under the sun to have fun! XD

Being I play on purely a SYSNAND setup with no EMUNAND, I'd of been banned by now if i pirated games. lol

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just cause no ones used it for anything else, does not mean it can't be.
To be fair, there is no good usecase for XCIs besides card game dumps and playing pirated content offline safely, thats not handled in a better way by other file types.

Yet you cry about xci... you're so full of shit.
I mean I don't really pirate switch games and still would like XCI loading, to require less Gamecard switching, especially on the go.
But because of the changes from firmware 9.x I would probably not use it that much at home, unless someone breaks the online authentication for cards in a way that allows me to use my own backups online again, like in the early SXOS days.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I don't really pirate switch games and still would like XCI loading, to require less Gamecard switching, especially on the go.
But because of the changes from firmware 9.x I would probably not use it that much at home, unless someone breaks the online authentication for cards in a way that allows me to use my own backups online again, like in the early SXOS days.
Irrelevant. Gamecards can be installed directly to the sd card. As you pointed out, online play of XCI hasn't been a thing since 9.x, so there is zero benefit. If you want to play a legitimately owned card online, you must use the card, and adding xci support would not change that.

Last edited by urherenow,

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Irrelevant. Gamecards can be installed directly to the sd card. End of story.
Nope, especially for legit backup usecases this is not a valid way, it just ban bait that way, and there will never be a way to use installed dumps online, since its technically not possible.
For Piracy it doesn't really make a big difference, thats true, but for legit backup usecases it does.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, especially for legit backup usecases this is not a valid way, it just ban bait that way, and there will never be a way to use installed dumps online, since its technically not possible.
For Piracy it doesn't really make a big difference, thats true, but for legit backup usecases it does.
Go back and re-read my edits. I know all of this. My whole point is that there isn't a valid reason for xci support. At all.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Go back and re-read my edits. I know all of this. My whole point is that there isn't a valid reason for xci support. At all.
There is still the usecase of traceless backups on the go, so even without someone breaking the auth token generation, there is still a usecase, especially with people having kids or many games they switch between while traveling.
Besides that its more advantagius to people pirating through, since its also traceless piracy, as long as the user is not going online with the switch.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is still the usecase of traceless backups on the go, so even without someone breaking the auth token generation, there is still a usecase, especially with people having kids or many games they switch between while traveling.
Besides that its more advantagius to people pirating through, since its also traceless piracy, as long as the user is not going online with the switch.
Not traceless. After you've played a cart, an icon is left on your home screen (with the symbol that shows that you need the cart inserted to play). There is a footprint left behind.

You might say that it doesn't matter if it's your own backup of your own cart, but get real for a second. We've already been through all of this with the 3DS, even to the point of injecting a cert from a self-owned/dumped game, into an illegit .3ds dump. What you get is mistakes where a game is shared, then 2 people end up online using the same certs at the same time. Then the cart itself gets banned. And let me just roll back to the fact that the extra checks since 9.x prevent it from working anyway.

You can play your "backups on the go" offline in emummc. Emummc is the only truly traceless method.

Last edited by urherenow,

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not traceless. After you've played a cart, an icon is left on your home screen (with the symbol that shows that you need the cart inserted to play). There is a footprint left behind.

You might say that it doesn't matter if it's your own backup of your own cart, but get real for a second. We've already been through all of this with the 3DS, even to the point of injecting a cert from a self-owned/dumped game, into an illegit .3ds dump. What you get is mistakes where a game is shared, then 2 people end up online using the same certs at the same time. Then the cart itself gets banned. And let me just roll back to the fact that the extra checks since 9.x prevent it from working anyway.

You can play your "backups on the go" offline in emummc. Emummc is the only truly traceless method.
Yeah, there is the icon and so on, but its no different to just using the gamecard in terms of traces, so its not really a trace showing you used a pirated or backed up copy.

Emummc makes things much more complicated and if you treat it as the safe way to do everything you want increases the chance of user errors.
Especially syncing savegames is annoying when using both emunand and sysnand. Like I mentioned, its not a big problem for pirating people, since they will never go online with it, but for people owning the games, and wanting to go online, needing to move savegame from emunand to sysnand to go online and then back to play it offline again is just so much work, it defeats the point of the backups.

About the sharing part, that's the problem of the person managing/sharing it, never had that problem on the 3ds, and never had that problem on the switch.
And injecting certs from other games into pirated switch games is something that's not even possible.
And if someone finds a way to circumvent/reimplement the challange answer Generation for the game cards, I'm pretty sure it will also only work with data dumped from that specific gamecard.

Also it's not like I just talk about it, I'm regularly checking if developments in the switch community made it easy enough for me to implement xci loading myself, but since I don't really have any reverse engineering experience, I will not be able to implement it until fs got reimplemented.

Last edited by RednaxelaNnamtra,
Reactions: Takokeshi

pr0dukt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jesus, people this needy actually exist?

Imagine needing more rant threads about nearly useless features that are entirely plausible and within the realm of possibility but no one cares enough about to actually make..

Limitations =\= Redundancy

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well posting here is mainly for venting, I doubt any productive outcome. Birds of a (ranting) feathers flocks together. After venting there is no longer need to do anything as need is now fulfilled?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its is more a troll than a post

If you don't like the current solutions, then is easy:

OPEN YOUR COMPUTER AND START WRITING CODE.

You demonstrated you can write a lot
People can choose their own truth nowadays but I doubt there is much satisfaction to pretend that a piece of code work when it don’t. That is the big difference between writing a sentence and a line of code. Not unless you want to rant about the stupid compiler.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Nakamichi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I miss being able to load games from external USB Drives, after switching from SX OS to Atmosphere.

That was a really neat feature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.