RANT about current CFW standing and frustrations.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But its ban bait, so its not usefull for anybody thats not already using roms in an offline emunand.
What's your point? This whole thread is about CFW and cheats. ALL OF THAT is ban bait unless you are playing offline. And I don't know anybody anywhere that would suggest installing an nsp outside of emummc.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's your point? This whole thread is about CFW and cheats. ALL OF THAT is ban bait unless you are playing offline. And I don't know anybody anywhere that would suggest installing an nsp outside of emummc.
But for cheats you don't need an offline emunand, you can use them on sysnand while offline, and going online again later.
Just installing homebrew as nsp and using it is something that gets you banned, by just going online later. Its even worse then installing game nsps, which normally only ban oyu when going online with them.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installing game nsps, which normally only ban oyu when going online with them.
lol... most people have a habit of updating legit titles online. You just go ahead and do that with a game nsp installed. Doesn't even matter if you made it with your own cartridge. An nsp will either have a digital purchase record on your account (legit ticket on your system), or you're busted.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
9. Absolutely no piracy or related discussion. This includes: • "Backups", even if you legally own a copy of the game. • "Installable" NSPs, XCIs, and NCAs; this includes installable homebrew (i.e. on the Home Menu instead of within nx-hbmenu). • Signature and ES patches, also known as "sigpatches" • Usage of piracy-focused groups' (Team Xecuter, etc.) hardware and software, such as SX OS. This is a zero-tolerance, non-negotiable policy that is enforced strictly and swiftly, up to and including instant bans without warning.

As far as ReSwitched is concerned immediate ban if you break this rule.

what you are saying doesn't make it illegal

also "sauce" because i'm pretty sure what you're implying doesn't apply to gbatemp forum in particular
It's like calling the Nintendo hot-line and asking them how to run Mario-kart on dolphin.
It's not illegal but i doubt you'll get much help

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol... most people have a habit of updating legit titles online. You just go ahead and do that with a game nsp installed. Doesn't even matter if you made it with your own cartridge. An nsp will either have a digital purchase record on your account (legit ticket on your system), or you're busted.
Thats also possible, though I think its wrong, since updates also use their own shared tickets, that are independend of the main game, which is also the reason local updates from other switches work.
Still that would be an interactions with nintendos online service and this game, while homebrew nsps will create bans much simpler, since they use invalid titleids, which then appear in the play history, resulting in an instant flag by nintendo.
I would never suggest to use game nsps on an online nand, but its not nessesary a ban, when playing it only offline.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Purpose of tinfoil aside, it is homebrew and can be installed as an nsp. So can retroarch, iirc.

Edit: I guess the restoarch stuff are forwarders. Still done as nsp, so my comment still stands.
I believe their point is that as far as atmosphere is concerned, they're piracy and are not supposed by any means.
They require the exact same external patches pirated content needs and if you report a bug with one installed you're told to fuck off essentially, etc etc.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn't read the whole thread, because... too much!

Don't have any problem with saying what I would like to see or what I would change or what in case of CFW makes me rant, and conversations or brainstorming is really good!

What I don't like is that cheats exist and apps like Edizon and it doesn't matter for which system!
Sorry, but the voice I hear all the time in my head is:
I'm too dumb to play a game and need cheats, but that is not enough because even using cheats isn't easy enough? What, really?

OMG how I hate this damn cheats!

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn't read the whole thread, because... too much!

Don't have any problem with saying what I would like to see or what I would change or what in case of CFW makes me rant, and conversations or brainstorming is really good!

What I don't like is that cheats exist and apps like Edizon and it doesn't matter for which system!
Sorry, but the voice I hear all the time in my head is:
I'm too dumb to play a game and need cheats, but that is not enough because even using cheats isn't easy enough? What, really?

OMG how I hate this damn cheats!
Its not always just to progress in games, some just extend their time with a game further with cheats. In pokemon for example there are cheats for things like events, or sometimes there are thigns like hidden debug menus and levels, which can be fun to explore. Or you might just want to explore outside of the normal game bounderies.
Those are for example things I like to do after mostly completing a game.
Also there is no harm for anyone in cheating in single player games, as longs as the person playing still has fun with it.
Multiplayer games on the other side are a bit different, when you affect public lobbies with it, and make other peoples experience worse, thats really not god, but at least simple code cheats could probably be fixed by server side checks with dedicated servers.
But even with multiplayer games, I don't really see any harm in playing arround in private lobbies with friends and exploring things normally not possible.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I totally get you, but what you describe... is that cheating?
That sounds for me like something between cheating an modding! Maybe hard to explain, but I think we know what each other means!?
Like using the invisible/no boundaries cheat/mod to find eastereggs in maps of csgo!

That is a bit different and that line very close to each other (cheat/mod)

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a ton of little grievances similar to this. A lot of homebrew apps feel half baked or unfinished. Unfortunately, no one will care to finish them so really guys like you and I have to move on to something else.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what you are saying doesn't make it illegal

also "sauce" because i'm pretty sure what you're implying doesn't apply to gbatemp forum in particular
It's like calling the Nintendo hot-line and asking them how to run Mario-kart on dolphin.
It's not illegal but i doubt you'll get much help
Read the rest of the posts. This is about people hoping that atmosphere support xci and they have the misconception that nsp is supported by atmosphere and that is wrong. Nsp installing is supported by third party apps and only works after hack ( signpatch ) is applied to atmosphere.

Reactions: pinbi7

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a ton of little grievances similar to this. A lot of homebrew apps feel half baked or unfinished. Unfortunately, no one will care to finish them so really guys like you and I have to move on to something else.
Some soup kitchen serves better food that others. Want better food at the soup kitchen run it yourself or donate to the cause.

Most homebrew app are developed by one person. Some of them very good and produce excellent quality work but you may not see a release for a very long time. Some app get baked in the squat and never get released.

A few are excellent and appear as if they are working full time for free.

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: VeniaSilente

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly think the one real issue I have with Switch hacking is that it feels kind of stagnant these days. There's stuff happening and that's awesome but it feels like it peaked years ago and just kind of stopped after that. Maybe this is just me because I used to be constantly busy in the 3DS scene and I haven't really done shit in the Switch scene. Although, I am still trying to find my footing and there's still a lot I don't know about Switch hacking in comparison to my knowledge of 3DS homebrew.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think the one real issue I have with Switch hacking is that it feels kind of stagnant these days. There's stuff happening and that's awesome but it feels like it peaked years ago and just kind of stopped after that. Maybe this is just me because I used to be constantly busy in the 3DS scene and I haven't really done shit in the Switch scene. Although, I am still trying to find my footing and there's still a lot I don't know about Switch hacking in comparison to my knowledge of 3DS homebrew.
The number of developers is getting small, in all likelihood it has peaked. To many it's probably "been there, done that", I think they are mostly still around the scene just didn't find any good reason to start a new project on Switch.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It feels stagnant because the thing was blown wide open right from the start, tbh. Not much more you can do after that in terms of improvements. With the 3DS it took years for it to get going, with so many different interesting things being figured out every month. People were interested in hacking at it and trying to find new things to do with it. With the Switch there's just no reason for most people to bother because we already have it all.

It's kinda like the DSi tbh, nobody was interested in really hacking at it because we already had flashcarts which were essentially perfect, for the time. DSi mode just wasnt important or interesting enough for people to care.

Doesn't help that the Switch doesn't have much functionality to it besides playing games, there's not much room for creativity tbh. Custom themes are neat, but given they're totally unsupported by the OS, it's kind of a janky hack and making new ones is not beginner-friendly.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The number of developers is getting small, in all likelihood it has peaked. To many it's probably "been there, done that", I think they are mostly still around the scene just didn't find any good reason to start a new project on Switch.
A lot of devs are mostly active on discord and IRC compared to the Temp. Many of them dipped out in the 3DS scene due to issues with the Staff on the site.
It feels stagnant because the thing was blown wide open right from the start, tbh. Not much more you can do after that in terms of improvements. With the 3DS it took years for it to get going, with so many different interesting things being figured out every month. People were interested in hacking at it and trying to find new things to do with it. With the Switch there's just no reason for most people to bother because we already have it all.

It's kinda like the DSi tbh, nobody was interested in really hacking at it because we already had flashcarts which were essentially perfect, for the time. DSi mode just wasnt important or interesting enough for people to care.

Doesn't help that the Switch doesn't have much functionality to it besides playing games, there's not much room for creativity tbh. Custom themes are neat, but given they're totally unsupported by the OS, it's kind of a janky hack and making new ones is not beginner-friendly.
Kind of funny that an early start is what makes the scene feel so stagnant. As Scruffy the janitor once said, "The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.” I guess the same can be said in the hacking scene. You start early, everything gets done, and then it’s just waiting for the next exciting thing to happen. The 3DS had the luxury of the cool stuff happening progressively over the years, so I can see how that worked in the 3DS’ favor.

Last edited by The Catboy,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Switch CFW has been very nice for a very long time already. I much prefer it this way than the other way around.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Switch CFW has been very nice for a very long time already. I much prefer it this way than the other way around.
I didn't mind the wait as much on 3DS, because cartridges saved to the cart, so I didn't have to worry about potentially losing my save data if something happened to my console. Mostly only important for Pokémon though, because of how much time went into that and how devastating it would be to lose it all. On the Switch though, I kinda refused to touch it until/unless I was able to make save data backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: