Ragnarok DS

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Krobelus, Feb 27, 2010.

Feb 27, 2010

Ragnarok DS by Krobelus at 6:25 AM (3,687 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Krobelus
    OP

Member Krobelus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hey guys.

I had an idea, to make Ragnarok DS more.. MMO-like?

Now before you get ahead of me, I don't mean so you see other players wherever killing whatever; I mean make it so that you are just you. No story, just you, levelling, collecting cards, doing side quests etc. As if you just created a new character in Ragnarok.

I personally dislike how there was a story, and I would like to make the story obsolete among other features.

I was thinking perhaps patch the game with AR codes so that it's more MMO-ish. I mean so that:
    -All areas are unlocked (end-game)
    -Start in Prontera
    -No (story) party members (unless you create a guild and have npcs;still unsure how to implement so that you just need the Emperium to make a guild)
    -More monsters in each area (?)
    -Harder to level
    -Story bosses at the end of the dungeons they appear in, but a lot harder.
    -Item store sells the best items
    -Drop rate lowered for cards and possibly other rare items
    -Stats changed to be more like Ragnarok Online (and monsters stats changed to go with it)
    -NPCs acting like Players, whom are killing random monsters on random maps (would that even be possible?)

That's all I have so far.. if anyone wants to add to the idea please feel free to post a reply.
    However, with that said, I currently have no idea, (besides AR cheats patched) how to implement these ideas, which is why I would like to get a little bit of help from the community.

I hope you guys are interested in helping out.
    Thanks for reading.
    -Krobelus

2. AcidAce

Newcomer AcidAce Advanced Member

Philippines
    well ive played other ragnarok games and i kinda get what your saying i want to help but the problem is i dont know how to do it.............. [​IMG]

3. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    sound very complicated but it is possible for some stuff
    you will only get such effort from super hardcore fans
    otherwise, LOL

4. StorMyu

Member StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

France
    No problem i was a big fan of Ragnarok Online
    but most of your idea is kinda useless (but everyone have his opinion ^^)
    Oh ! And Ragnarok Online HAVE a story ! have you ever tried official server ?

5. takun32

Member takun32 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    game is already broken LOL, people who will use this will probably play it in a flash cart, and 95% of them will probably use codes to speed everything up.

6. StorMyu

France
    not specifically, I use a flash cart and i never use any cheat...
    Just to play some patched game
    And his purpose is for Big fan of the game but yeah the low xp is kinda useless....

7. Krobelus
    OP

Canada
    You don't come to GBAtemp without a flash cart [​IMG]

@takun32 - Not everyone uses cheats. I for one do not. I made sure I removed the CHEAT.dat when I got my R4, because I'd always get the urge to cheat if the option was available. And this is for anyone who wants a different experience such as my self.

@StorMyu - This is what brainstorming is for. I mean, there are things I definitely do not know about RO. To be honest I only played Private Servers, which my friend (who was an addict) got me into it, and said it was a waste of time playing the real RO server as it was way too slow.

-I honestly didn't know there was a story. But to be honest, I still would prefer no story on the DS version because it makes RO 'real'? I dunno, I just wanted to see RO on the DS as more of an MMO like game. Think like .hack, where everyone knows it's an online MMO and you just do whatever. (okay so it has a story too, but still).

-I wanted the option to be available that you could make a guild, without having to go through the story, and so that you can actually recruit party members, rather than the NPC story characters.

-You know how you have to shop more and more to get the best items to show? I wanted that obsolete. But only for the item shop, since in the MMO all of those items are available to you right away correct? It's just the weapons shop that should stay like that, if anything.

-I suppose making it a little harder to level would suck, but I think that if there were no story, you'd be able to breeze through this at the current leveling rate. So if it were lowered just a little bit, then it would even out. Plus if we got more monsters to spawn in each area that just means more to kill and more experience.

-The stats in this game do not work like they do in the MMO apparently. I'm still unsure exactly how it's changed, I think if I remember the DEX and possibly the LUK stat don't work like how the MMO is, and also the cast reduction time is increased in the DS version.

-Yeah I was thinking that too. If you don't have party members, then make it so that they count as your party members, but they're not limited to following you through each map, and they kill whatever on their own, and you gain no items / experience from their kill.

-I know, we don't need to change any text, unless we change how items work and whatnot.

Thanks guys for your feedback. More ideas are appreciated!

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    first of all, the DS version was rebalanced to work with the kinds of people that play it. the hardcore player base on the DS is too low (compared to the "millions" playing MMOs) to even consider reflecting current PC server stats (and current server rates are horribly low... they do that to milk the most out of PC gamers, obliging them to pay more so they could play more to get that extra 0.05% on their next hour or two). doing so on the DS would scare what meager potential players there are.

monster stats? nope, no can do. do you have any idea how ridiculously hard that would make the game? it's not as simple as reflecting current server stats... you said so yourself, they modified how the stats work from PC to DS version. they'd have to mess with the formulas for EVERYTHING. too hard, i think.

as for the AI party members, i kinda get the idea that you want them to be able to travel on their own... GLOBALLY? meaning, independent from your location? also no can do. it would put TOO MUCH strain on the DS's meager resources. the reason why they chop areas down to really really tidbit sizes is so that all the DS has to process is everything that happens in THAT SPECIFIC AREA only. having guild members grinding on other areas of the map would mean that the game has to load EVERYTHING for every area of the map for EACH ACTIVE GUILDMEMBER aside from you, instead of just processing only whatever it needs to process (textures, sprites, formulas, monster stats & respawn, etc) in your particular vicinity only. again, big no. it works on PCs because... no, it doesn't. even bots require their own pilots--the bot software. basically, each active character is using up 1 client software (which uses up 1 PC, unless you manage to run many on one machine). that's like asking the DS to run multiple instances of the game ASIDE from the one you're currently playing.

however... if you scratch all that about independent AI party members, and just make it so that they have some sort of option (or toggle; add it in their command list) where as soon as you enter the map, they scramble off and sweep the map aggressively/passively, but STAYING ON THE SAME PART OF THE MAP as you, then i think that's workable. it'll require some studying of the AI scripts in-game though, and figuring out how to go about modifying some of them so they're not fixed to tailing you. maybe it could be an increase in attack radius (instead of just being limited to your immediate surrounding area) so that they could go offscreen (but you hear them attacking, so you at least know that they're preoccupied somewhere). they could get into trouble though, heh, and it'll be a pain if you're constantly running around the map trying to keep them from getting pwned. i guess that's why they stuck the AI to tailing you. so they don't go get lost and bump into something they can't handle.

9. StorMyu

France
    Beside that, Even in the PC version, the game has his own server, it's not your computer who run all the map (even if i had my own server on my computer but that's not the same ^^)
    So it's basically impossible for the DS to put everything in RAM like ferofax said...

10. Krobelus
    OP

Canada
    For the AI hunting on their own, I actually meant, you know in Final Fantasy 12 (for those of you who played), sometimes when you go to a new area (in RODS case, each little square map) sometimes you find an NPC that is killing random monsters in his/her way. But if you leave the area and come back, they might not be there.

So like, if you move to a small map in RODS, there would be a small chance that an NPC is residing in that small map with you, killing whatever he can. I didn't mean that the DS should track him allover the map, and I understand how the map/character loading works within the DS.

Also, I didn't mean for the experience/drop rate to be lowered that much. Just a little bit to reflect the future changes (if any) that are made.

11. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    so the AI would be something like a chance event? that could work... but assuming that upon entering an area, that a guildmember not in your party is currently grinding there, that would still be another AI for the DS to pilot...

12. Krobelus
    OP

Canada
    Well, we could make it so that if you had already, 2 guild members with you, then there wouldn't be a chance for an NPC to be hunting anywhere.

To be honest, this is a rather minor feature. I mainly want the story to be done, and to be able to go anywhere at any time, like in the MMO.

All of the other suggestions are merely side things, if capable of being done, then it'd be a plus, otherwise it's okay.

13. 5%

Member 5% GBAtemp Fan

How true this is..The game is so utterly slow paced to the point where it's just a damn burden to even play it...Thank god for the codes is all I have to say.