Hacking R4i-SDHC - Weird Issue

griffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bought an R4i-SDHC from MemoryBits before I had done the research and found out what a mess the whole R4 thing is! If I format the card (any card from a selection of 1Gb, 2G SDHc and 8GB SDHC) and install the firmware from www.r4i-sdhc.com it will load and work fine for a short time.

At some point I will go to switch it on and it hangs on 'Loading'. I can't fathom what circumstance causes this. I also note a few files get added to the root of the card such as SWRESET and DEMON0.SYS that are not from the virgin firmware.

If I reformat and re-install all is fine again. Similarly if I copy all the files off and then back on it will sometimes be fine.

I'm going to look at an M3i but in the meantime is there anything else I can try before I smash the damn thing to bits with a hammer!

griffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tested every possible combination of fix and the only sure fire fix is a format of the card. Damned frustrating and I can't understand why a format fixes it?

I think I've wasted enough time on this, so is an M3i a much better investment now I have half a clue about these cards?

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
try eject the usb card reader everytime after you read/write to the sd card

m3i0 good?
since 1.4 blocks all flash cart that works on dsi
i would say just wait a few more weeks
smile.gif

griffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's very odd, can't quite pin down if it's a particular game that trips it and I've even resorted to using an old XP machine to ensure the format is OK. Are there any utils recommended for ensuring a good format of the card?

Ordered an M3i now anyway but would still like to get this working whilst I'm waiting.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
griffog said:
It's very odd, can't quite pin down if it's a particular game that trips it and I've even resorted to using an old XP machine to ensure the format is OK. Are there any utils recommended for ensuring a good format of the card?

Ordered an M3i now anyway but would still like to get this working whilst I'm waiting.
The Panasonic SD Formatter.

MostImmature

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's memory card's fault, usually. I had faulty MicroSD that did that on me here and there too on original R4. Switched to new MicroSD on same R4 to never face that problem again.

griffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would have blamed the memory card if it weren't for the fact that it works fine in other R4 clone cards and that three other micro-SD cards, some SDHC some not all suffer the same issue in this R4i.

Can someone supply a link to the Panasonic SD Formatter?

Masterchamber

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
-
XP
Country
lecture.gif

Delete everyting except the games and or music.
Download the latest kernel on www.r4ultra.com It is 1.54 onto your SD card.
Take out the SD card reader.
Place the SD card into your R4i.
Play.It should work.
If it still says LOADING.........
Pull out the SD card and then put it back in.
If it still doesn't work,buy a new Micro SD card.
The R4 is not faulty, it's the SD card. It's memory must be damaged. Replace SD card.
I suggest Kingston or SDHC.
Hope this helps XD

Note- If this doesn't work smash it!
hate2.gif

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
griffog said:
I would have blamed the memory card if it weren't for the fact that it works fine in other R4 clone cards and that three other micro-SD cards, some SDHC some not all suffer the same issue in this R4i.

Can someone supply a link to the Panasonic SD Formatter?
Google? Also dude don't smash it, keep it/sell it to someone.

griffog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, already using Kingston cards. Formatted one using the Panasonic SD Formatter.

Installing the 1.54 kernel from R4Ultra results in a Red '?' and 'MENU' error (This is an R4i-SDHC card?).

Installing the latest www.r4i-sdhc.com and it loads fine, then copy a game onto the card and it hangs on loading. A pile of dog doo-doo.

Meanwhile a dirt cheap R4ids card bought on hols in Turkey continues to work flawlessly using the same cards.

So I'll see if MemoryBits will accept the R4i card back, if not it's going to be disassembled using a lump hammer!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later