Hacking R4i SDHC & RTS

Xaetrus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. Im pretty new to the world of flash carts and bought a card on a whim (unfortunately before I found this website lol).

Anyway, my main problem is my card seems to do absolutely nothing. The card is an R4i SDHC & RTS. The box it came in was white, and the website on the front is http://www.r4rts.com. Once I first began reading these forums I thought I may have a fake card, but then I found two reviews for the R4i RTS with the http://www.r4rts.com website that mine has. It said my card was actually real, made by the M3 team. Unfortunately, I dont see M3 anywhere on the packaging or the website.

Anyway, I got the firmware 2.6d from www.r4rts.com and extracted it to my 4gb SDHC card after formatting it. When I put the card into my original DS, the card shows up at Danny Phantom Urban Chaos or whatever, but when i select it the screen goes white.. and that's it. I've tried other firmwares, reformatting with the SD formatter program, put the I/O file from the website on there, nothing. All the card has ever done is white screen.

I also have tried it on my girlfriends DSi which is running 1.4. Supposedly my card supports 1.4, but when I select Danny Phantom the screen goes black and says an error has occurred and to reboot the DS.

I matched my card up to the pics in the R4i RTS reviews. The only difference I saw was their chip was green, while mine seems to be more yellowish. Just above the contact pins it has R4-cp2r-i 2009.04.09 stamped on my card.

So basically what Im wondering is.. Is my card dead? Am I getting the wrong firmware/missing a step? Is my card a clone, or is it actually one of those new M3 cards that supports 1.4?

I didn't get the card from www.r4rts.com, I got it from Kick gaming.

Thanks a lot for any help

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I also tried using Ysmenu, and it gave me the same results: white screen on the original DS, black screen 'error has occurred, reboot ds' on DSi.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked my review sample of the R4i RTS which I received direct from the M3 team. The serial stamped above the green PCB was R4_RTS_V4_*X6BS* 2009.11.13 * the text between the * * is hard to read, so those letters/numbers are a guesstimate.

Your 2009.04.09 seems a bit like old stock. I can't remember the date when the 1.4 firmware from Nintendo was rolled out. But if the card is displaying the "danny phantom" icon, it would appear to have the new 1.4 boot loader.

thumb_r4icartback.jpg

Here's my photo from my R4i RTS review. The new R4i RTS is on the left and the old R4 is on the right.

The white screens on boot up "might" be down to your 4gb memory card. If the R4 can't find your memory card it displays an error and if the OS software is missing from a readable memory card then it displays a "couldn't find_DS_MENU.SYS" error. Do you have another memory card to try out?

Another possibility could be that the OS archive you downloaded, may be corrupted. Try this link http://down.gbalpha.com/r4rts/soft/R4_eng_v2.6d.zip

Xaetrus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your review is actually one of the things I used to identify my card with, thanks.
biggrin.gif

My card looks just like the card in the picture there on the left, only my PCB board isn't green like yours, it's yellow with light green in it. Maybe I have an older card that got updated? Also, in your review, your card reader has a silver body. Mine is all black. (Probably doesn't matter though)

Anyway, I have a 32 MB card as well, but unfortunately the firmware extracts to 88 MB so I cant fit it. I tried the 32 MB card with nothing on it though, and on my DS it still white screened after I selected Danny Phantom. On the DSi, gave me the same black screen with 'An error has occurred, restart the DS'.

Last night I worked with the R4i RTS for a few hours, tried all sorts of firmware both old and new, tried Ysmenu a few times.. The problem is I can't get it to do ANYTHING other than white screen or error has occurred, reboot.

I just tried the firmware you linked me, same thing.
frown.gif
Must be a dead R4?

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xaetrus said:
Your review is actually one of the things I used to identify my card with, thanks.
biggrin.gif

My card looks just like the card in the picture there on the left, only my PCB board isn't green like yours, it's yellow with light green in it. Maybe I have an older card that got updated? Also, in your review, your card reader has a silver body. Mine is all black. (Probably doesn't matter though)

Anyway, I have a 32 MB card as well, but unfortunately the firmware extracts to 88 MB so I cant fit it. I tried the 32 MB card with nothing on it though, and on my DS it still white screened after I selected Danny Phantom. On the DSi, gave me the same black screen with 'An error has occurred, restart the DS'.

Last night I worked with the R4i RTS for a few hours, tried all sorts of firmware both old and new, tried Ysmenu a few times.. The problem is I can't get it to do ANYTHING other than white screen or error has occurred, reboot.

I just tried the firmware you linked me, same thing.
frown.gif
Must be a dead R4?

Yeah. You seemed to have tried everything. I guess its a case of returning it back to Kick Gaming and getting either a refund/replacement. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello