R4i SDHC? How is it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Mana94, Dec 25, 2009.

Dec 25, 2009

R4i SDHC? How is it? by Mana94 at 2:53 PM (1,195 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Mana94
    OP

Member Mana94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got a new Dsi and btw I am typing this from the browser. [​IMG]

How is it? What are the differences from the original R4? I already ordered it from realhotstuff.com(btw, are they reliable?ALOT of people recommend them)

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    it sucks its a bitch and the worst cart out for the dsi
    you should buy the m3i zero
    cancel the order quick and go for m3i zero

3. Mana94
    OP

United States
    Really? All i've heard are good things about it o.o

4. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    you heard good things about it from bad people [​IMG]

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Stay away from anything that has R4 in the title, that's what I go by [​IMG]

6. sfg

Member sfg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It really depends from what site (official, not the one you bought it from) it is. There are several of them I believe and you can only tell the difference by the site that's written on the box.
    I have the one from www.r4i-sdhc.com and it's really not awful. It's behind in compatibility compared to the more serious brands, but it's still updated. Of course, if you have this one and if you want to get any good use out of it it's recommended to get the DSTT menu on it: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=195821

Otherwise, don't listen to rockstar. He's a gigantic fanboy. But when you'll be tired of your poor quality cart you may want to move on like I did, and indeed stay away from everything with R4 in its name.

7. Mana94
    OP

United States
    Are you guys sure? [​IMG]
    I have used the original R4 forever and never had problems. I know it has tons and tons of clones...R4i being one of them. But they all use the same general layout/programming.

8. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    No, they don't. There are "R4i"s that are actually clones of EZ-Flash, DSTT, Acekard, etc, all of which are very different. The original R4 is very outdated at this point compared to what a $12 Acekard will do. And R4i isn't ONE of the clones. Do a google search and you'll find 15+ different R4i carts, all made by different companies. They're all knockoff clones. Do not buy anything with "R4" in the name anymore. It may not suck, but it WILL lead to confusion in the future.

That being said, I do use the old pre-1.4 R4i SDHC (www.r4i-sdhc.com), which is actually a DSTT clone. It works quite well, and though my old version is no longer officially supported, I've still managed to find a way to get EVERYTHING to run on it with relative ease. If you purchased one of the newer (still supported) cards from the same site, it should work very well, and even update its own firmware automatically. If you ever need to replace it, avoid the "R4" name.

9. sfg

United States
    No they don't. And not all are clones of the original R4. In fact, many of those available today are clones of DSTT (like the one I have) or Acekard or M3 or whatever else. They're just called R4 to attract people who don't inform themselves before buying (like me and you for example) and the only things they share is poor build quality and bad support. Count yourself lucky if the one you have is still supported. It's possible you bought one which won't be updated anymore.

10. Mana94
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks.
    The site I bought it from is on the GBAtemp recommended sites. And I have heard good things about them...so I trust they won't give a clone.

Actually,even if the do give a clone.....As long as it works.

11. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    As long as it works. That's until a new major game comes out...which is when you might have a hard time.

12. Mana94
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Hmm, Idk. I will think of something [​IMG] But thanks. With all these crack-people and new firmware makers I wouldn't consider anything impossible....yet.

13. sfg

United States
    It can only be a clone. There is no other way around it. They're a good store, but that doesn't mean they don't sell clones. All shops have these clones.
    So what you have to hope is that you won't get a terrible one but an acceptable one.

Either way, trust me, a good cart is safer and better for your state of mind.

14. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    the r4i is an ok card for beginneres, but mine corrupted a lot and game support was crap. Like every new game that came out didn't work on it and i had to wait another month. I've now got an acekard 2i, which is about the same price and a lot, lot better. You get wifi-update and the best game support there is on any flashcard. good luck with your choice.

15. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Why did you even bother asking?

You asked after you bought the card...
    Then when people tell you it's bad, you defend it ignoring the advice of the people you're seeking out.
    And even after you defend it, you say 'as long as it works' again ignoring what people tell you.
    Finally saying nothing is impossible and that people will update the firmware because they're good.

Many of the clones are dying off. Some of them don't even have sites up anymore.
    The original R4 and it's direct clones that can run YSMenu are only kept updated because it uses the DSTT firmware -- a firmware which isn't even officially updated anymore. They just take the firmware from ashley and post it for download.
    For the price you paid for your R4i SDHC ($21) you could have bought an AceKard2i ($24) or an EZ Flash Vi ($20).