Hacking r4i-sdhc.com

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
That particular version will, but the one's without the 1.4 on the box won't and can't be upgraded. I wouldn't buy that cart though. When it went from 1.3 to 1.4 people were forced to replace their cards. There's no guarantee that you'll actually be able to upgrade the cart if 1.5 blocks it. Get an AK2i instead. They're not much more and about 100x better.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont waste your money on carts that cant be updated (kernel update) your just gonna have to buy another one and another one ect...

and the fact its just a crap r4 clone

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Um... Pretty much any card that's name consists of a letter and a number is a cheap, made-in-china clone. For example: R4, R4 SDHC, R41 Gold, R4-III, N5, R6, M3. Do yourself and get an AceKard 2i from http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...nit-p-2864.html . It's only $24.95 + shipping - IIRC, ~$5 - and I can personaly guarentee that, once the firmware update is installed, it works great on 1.4 - though I can't guerentee that it comes with the update pre-installed, you might want to have a pre-1.3 DSi or DS/DS Lite available to update it. They also have MUCH better support than all of those cruddy R4 clones.
smile.gif

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... In the time it took me to type that post, lots of people recommended against the cheap R4 clone!
tongue.gif

Posts merged

IIRC, DX is out, and ConsoleSource has fast shipping. i got mine from there.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
macgeek417 said:
Um... Pretty much any card that's name consists of a letter and a number is a cheap, made-in-china clone. For example: R4, R4 SDHC, R41 Gold, R4-III, N5, R6, M3.
thats pretty flawed logic
M3i zero / M3 real is one of the best cards on the market right now
cant say the same about the rest however...

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
macgeek417 said:
Um... Pretty much any card that's name consists of a letter and a number is a cheap, made-in-china clone. For example: R4, R4 SDHC, R41 Gold, R4-III, N5, R6, M3.
thats pretty flawed logic
M3i zero / M3 real is one of the best cards on the market right now
cant say the same about the rest however...

Erm...
YushenDS Card, R4DS, M3 DS Simply, and their clones

R4DS (Revolution for DS), YushenDS Card (YDC) and M3DS Simply are essentially the same hardware product. The same method is used to distinguish between Chinese, English and Japanese (and German for the YDC) versions of the cards. The firmware for the various brand and language versions can be readily patched to work on other language or brand versions of the hardware.

The original R4 card was replaced in late 2007 by the "R4 version 2" or "R4v2". This new version removed the need for a spring mechanism to insert a Micro-SD card. Instead, it simply had a slot in the back where a user could manually slot a Micro-SD card in. This eliminated the problems of the original R4 Revolution DS Card where the spring mechanism reportedly malfunctioned after prolonged use.[20][21]

Further confusion has been added by the arrival of numerous poor-quality clones of the YDC(R4,M3) hardware - selling under the brands including N5, E7, ND1, NPlayer, U2DS, MARS and numerous variations on the R4 name, such as "R4DS Upgrade-II", New R4, R4 Deluxe, R4 Advance, R4 DS III, R4 SDHC, R4 Pro, and R4 Ultra. The firmware for genuine YDC(R4) cards is encrypted, although the encryption scheme was broken in 2007 and several utilities exist for encrypting, modifying and decrypting YDC(R4) firmware. The N5 and most other clones use a decrypted version of the firmware; decrypted YDC(R4) firmware can be used on the N5 and some other clone cards, and encrypted clone firmware can be used on the R4. Some clone manufacturers have released modified versions of the firmware to support additional games; others have done away with the R4 firmware entirely and replaced it with homebrew loaders such as YSMenu or other alternatives.

All of these are one-card (Slot-1) solutions that use MicroSD cards for storage, and all the final official firmware versions include Action Replay cheats, auto-DLDI patching and support for Nintendo Wi-Fi connection and Download Play. They also include a hardware-specific version of the Moonshell media player, selection of which is integrated with the main menu. Around August 2007, the R4 team also revised the hardware to use a springless memory slot as there had been significant complaints about the failure of the slot.

Unlike newer cards, the R4 cannot read SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards due to hardware limitations, although certain clones add this functionality. There exist several clones of the R4 card that are capable of using SDHC cards, but some studies have suggested that certain types of these cards have high failure rates. One clone, named the "R4 SDHC", is reported to be reliable. R4DS is now known to be outdated, as many other flashcarts are known to be better and cheaper (Acekard 2, M3 Real Supercard One, and Edge), and a genuine R4DS is hard to find.[22]

R4 has been banned from sale in Japan.[23]

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have this card and it is updated (one of few). I can even run DSTT 1.17a12 raw or with YSMenu as a secondary firmware. It's not bad for a clone.

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
lukands said:
Can anyone confirm if this cart does actually work on 1.4
I have read different stories.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22584
I think I`m being paranoid but I want to order a few and just want to make sure.
Great input everyone, No worries I know its a cheap R4, I know there are way better cards, just exploring my options, like to try out different cards.
Just as long as it does work on the 1.4, not worried about 1.5.

It seems to have good support for newer games

LonerGoth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had the original r4, I thought, till I read here that the r4ds had a spring thing... mine didn't so it must have been a r4 clone... it wasn't the sdhc variety either... anyways, my DS and r4 got stolen recently, so if I were to get a dsi, dsi xl, I'd most likely need a new flashcart for pirated games.

acecard2i seems to have everyone's support here on gbatemp.net, so I might get that one, IF I get a new ds replacement.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
macgeek417 said:
...but it's still a clone.
Not all clones are bad. If you want to take the "its a clone approach" let's throw out 95% of our PC's as they're IBM clones. Unless you've tried the darned thing don't talk smack. It's like never tasting chocolate, and calling it nasty.

@ LonerGoth - The card in the OP can work with all current DSi firmwares (1.4 is current at the time of this post), and all hardware (NDS, NDSlite, NDSi, and NDS LL/XL).

LonerGoth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hundshamer said:
macgeek417 said:
...but it's still a clone.
Not all clones are bad. If you want to take the "its a clone approach" let's throw out 95% of our PC's as they're IBM clones. Unless you've tried the darned thing don't talk smack. It's like never tasting chocolate, and calling it nasty.

@ LonerGoth - The card in the OP can work with all current DSi firmwares (1.4 is current at the time of this post), and all hardware (NDS, NDSlite, NDSi, and NDS LL/XL).

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=198658

Is the one you just mentioned this ez5? ( I don't know what OP meant!)

(as a side note when I read OP I thought about anime openings....)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-