Hacking R4i 3DS RTS Goes Black After White Screen Loads

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an R4i Gold 3DS RTS and every time I turn it on it goes to the white screen then into a black screen, then nothing. I tried reinstalling the kernel, formatting the SD card with several programs and even tried the card on a DS and another 3DS. Can someone tell me what is going on here? The R4 card worked before but then suddenly stopped. I set back the time to check if it's a time-limiter flashcard, but it wasnt the case. Please help!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4i Gold 3DS RTS and every time I turn it on it goes to the white screen then into a black screen, then nothing. I tried reinstalling the kernel, formatting the SD card with several programs and even tried the card on a DS and another 3DS. Can someone tell me what is going on here? The R4 card worked before but then suddenly stopped. I set back the time to check if it's a time-limiter flashcard, but it wasnt the case. Please help!
Site address on cart label is?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reformat the micro SD card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster. If your's made by r4ids.cn, you'll want the WOOD R4 V1.64 Released. (2013-11-08).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried that, still nothing...
I have that same flashcart as you do. When I launched that cart without its SD card, it exhibits the same behavior you described in black → white → black (nothing) with only (HOME) button working. Try a different card formatted in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster.

Also try canned air spraying the micro SD slot within the flashcart. It might be too dirty to read your card. If not, you can carefully disassembly the shell and use toothbrush with rubbing alcohol to clean it if it's bad enough.

R4i-Gold-3-DS-RTS-disassembled.png

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have that same flashcart as you do. When I launched that cart without its SD card, it exhibits the same behavior you described in black → white → black (nothing) with only (HOME) button working. Try a different card formatted in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster.

Also try canned air spraying the micro SD slot within the flashcart. It might be too dirty to read your card. If not, you can carefully disassembly the shell and use toothbrush with rubbing alcohol to clean it if it's bad enough.

I am really afraid of dismantling any sensitive hardware XD But I'll try the canned air spray and using a different micro SD and let you know what happens.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Site address on cart label is?
Nope, didn't work...

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Didn't work... So is it safe to assume that the R4 card itself has no issues but the micro SD reader on the R4 has the issue? Or is it too early to assume that?

I have been stuck with this issue for a long time. Please let me know if you guys need any additional information. I really don't want this card to go to waste.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't work... So is it safe to assume that the R4 card itself has no issues but the micro SD reader on the R4 has the issue? Or is it too early to assume that?
If you saw the Konami Digital Entertainment banner and two of your micro SD cards with the R4 WOOD kernel (the __rpg folder and _DS_MENU.DAT file) didn't do the trick, it's most likely the flashcart's micro SD slot that needs taking a look. Another possibility is your 3DS has broken DS(i) mode:
, although this isn't as likely if your Nintendo DS isn't reading the R4i either. If worse comes to worse, you still have TWiLight Menu++ to fall back on.

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you saw the Konami Digital Entertainment banner and two of your micro SD cards with the R4 WOOD kernel (the __rpg folder and _DS_MENU.DAT file) didn't do the trick, it's most likely the flashcart's micro SD slot that needs taking a look. Another possibility is your 3DS has broken DS(i) mode:
, although this isn't as likely if your Nintendo DS isn't reading the R4i either. If worse comes to worse, you still have TWiLight Menu++ to fall back on.
By "needs taking a look", can I do something from home, of do I have to send it to the seller? because I doubt my seller will respond after so long lol

Do you think having the 3DS on the latest update is mandatory for the R4 to work?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By "needs taking a look", can I do something from home, of do I have to send it to the seller? because I doubt my seller will respond after so long lol
You carefully pop open the flashcart and try cleaning the slot yourself or find someone else who'll do it for you. At this point, you might as well consider the flashcart dead. This isn't the seller's problem, unless yours died on arrival.
Do you think having the 3DS on the latest update is mandatory for the R4 to work?
For this specific flashcart brand and model, the 3DS firmware should not have an impact on its functionality.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did the DSi functionality thing. Still nothing :(

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You resort to (clean) toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

After taking the SD card out, the safest entry point is this notch. You have slide your nail along the perimeter to evenly separate the two halves. This will keep the pegs from snapping off.

Open-flashcart-entry.png
Ah ok. Is there a youtube tutorial/video on how to clean which parts specifically? I don't want to mess this up lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok. Is there a youtube tutorial/video on how to clean which parts specifically? I don't want to mess this up lol
Not really. If you see a youtube video of a guy using water and/or sponge cleaning circuit boards, that person's an idiot. Use a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol (70%–91% concentration) for gentle brushing and strokes, and finish it off drying with a hairdryer on low heat and fan speed setting with side-to-side sweeps. If you require using q-tips, no wiping motions as the cotton strands can snag and rip off SMD/SMT components; only dabbing. No paper towel, tissue paper, and toilet paper either, except to lay stuff to soak liquid.

Edit - Focus the bristles around the inner, back cavity of the SD slot.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really. If you see a youtube video of a guy using water and/or sponge cleaning circuit boards, that person's an idiot. Use a toothbrush with rubbing alcohol (70%–91% concentration) for gentle brushing and strokes, and finish it off drying with a hairdryer on low heat and fan speed setting with side-to-side sweeps. If you require using q-tips, no wiping motions as the cotton strands can snag and rip off SMD/SMT components; only dabbing. No paper towel, tissue paper, and toilet paper either, except to lay stuff to soak liquid.

Okay! Thank you! I'll try it out and see what happens. I really hope I don't mess this up XD

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Can I use the q tip and alcohol to dab on the golden part of the R4? (bottom part)

Pokeformers10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Tried cleaning it, still nothing. I'm currently contacting people from other sites (eg. Discord), but they havent gone into as much detail as you. Do you happen to have any other ideas?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried cleaning it, still nothing. I'm currently contacting people from other sites (eg. Discord), but they havent gone into as much detail as you. Do you happen to have any other ideas?
Measure for continuity and resistance for resistors (R) with a multimeter.

For capacitors (C), there's no good way to test these small SMD ones. These tiny tan ceramic blocks aren't likely to crack, but there's no way to visually see breaks with the naked eye nor with a magnifying glass.

I have no clue what that component (X) is as that reference designator can refer to any miscellaneous placeholder.

R4 board & multimeter.png

R4i Gold 3DS RTS - board.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks