Hacking R4i 3DS question

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I won an eBay auction the other day for two DSi XLs and two R4i cards (they say 3DS 4.5 or something on them). They both work fine with the DSi XLs, but only one works in my 3DS...the other gives me a black screen with an error about having to restart the system. I'm new to the R4i, but I've used the M3Simply and AceKard2i in the past. I formatted my microsd cards and put the latest version, i think it's 1.69b? from the R4i site, but still only one seems to work with the 3DS.

Obviously I'm glad one works, but I'm just curious as to why the other doesnt. Anything I should do or know about these things?

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you tell us what web address is on that card?

Is it one of these cards?

down_ndsi.gif
down_3ds.gif

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
er...so, the individual cart itself is the issue? Even if they are the same cart one can work while the other can't? I guess I didn't expect that.

edit: So, are you saying the 3DS somehow checked the cart and found it to be a flashcart and disabled it from working, but left the other one alone? Had I had the wifi disabled, would that have prevented it from not working? I'm considering getting an XL for flashcart purposes only and if I disable the wifi before using the cart that's not working in the standard 3DS, will it work in the XL?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS didn't do anything to the flash cart. Flash carts are not just hardware, they have firmware updates as well. One of the carts has a more recent firmware that tricks the 3DS, the other one is not updated and the 3DS knows about it.

If the 3DS's firmware is higher then the cart is prepared for, it will not work. 3DS units do not come with firmware 1.0, they come with recent firmwares too.

gldoorii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I appreciate the response and patience with my questions. To clarify what I've done.. I'm working with a DSiXL with 1.4.5 and a 3DS with 5.1.0-11. When I received the R4i carts they had v1.67 on them, so I went to the website on the cart (www.r4i-sdhc.com) and downloaded the v1.69b firmware, formatted the microsd cards and put the v1.69 firmwares on them. They are both still playable on the DSiXL, but only one works on the 3DS like I said before. What other "update" do I need to do with the flashcarts?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized I ran the Upgrade option in Config on one of the cards, but not the other. I figured it out. Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google