Hacking R4DS MicroSD Reader

mcp2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I got my R4 a couple of days ago. The MicroSD reader is grey and has a black lid. Is this a good reader? Does it bugger up like the other ones?

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it's one of the bad ones, not totally sure though.

Anyway I would not use any of the readers, a new high quality SD reader is very cheap at the moment.

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The one you recieved with your R4 (Metal Housing, Black Cap) is great! It works fine and just like Hit said it reads and writes accordingly to your max read and write times of your microsd card. I have used it with both Sandisk 1GB and PNY 1GB cards and it has never caused a problem.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't had a problem with this reader at all, and it looks good. The only quirk is that HD Tach recognizes it as USB 1.1, and not 2.0 like it states on the casing.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't had a problem with this reader at all, and it looks good. The only quirk is that HD Tach recognizes it as USB 1.1, and not 2.0 like it states on the casing.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got the translucent blue one, with a yellow/green LED. Never had a problem :S It fell apart once but easily clipped back together. Has 'T-FLASH' on the front and Hi Speed USB Certified tm. Whats the difference between each of them?

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@MadMK
The difference is just the readers being made from different manufacturers. The early card readers aren't the greatest quality and have been reported to be unreliable and in rare instances have shorted(because of shoddy build quality) and stopped working.

But the R4 team seems to have made a deal with a better company cause the newer readers are actually pretty nice quality wise.

mcp2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that settles it, I'll be using the card reader. Thanks for the replies
smile.gif

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got the same one as the original poster and no problems whatsoever. It can be slow at times but I guess MicroSD cards can only go up to a certain speed.

dei

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got the metal one with the black cap with my R4, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's pretty fast when plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I tried it on an older USB 1.1 hub that I have and it was super slow.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my PC has one of those 50 billion in one card readers in it, so I use that, but the one that came with my R4 is the black semi-transparent one with the 2 pyramids on it and a white frosty transparent cap. Over the pyramids, it says USB 2.0 TransFlash. When I did try to use it, it worked.

How is that one working for most people? Is it good or crap?

Like I said, I use the onboard card reader on the PC, so I don't know if the one that came with my R4 is one of the ones that will short out or what.

EDIT: Never mind, bobrules answered it as I was posting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo