R4DS? Immitation? -> Result: Brick

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by oliverbomb, Aug 7, 2009.

Aug 7, 2009
  1. oliverbomb
    OP

Member oliverbomb GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Hi, I've got a question and a little story about the R4 adapter.
    And I've got an idea, because I can't find anything yet, so....

The question:

1) I'm about to buy an R4 Flash Card, (ORIGINAL PLEASE) for my cousin. I'm seeing this one: R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL / NDS) http://www.r4ds.com
    This one I have, and works great on my brothers DS lite. (Black)
    I'm planning to buy this one for my cousin, but I've to be careful, because we brought the DS to Nintendo for the 3th time now, and they were asking questions about R4....

2) Can my SDcard brick my DS? I suppose not. ofcourse not... right? xD Same for roms or save games. A rom can only damage the DS if it's the only virus that exists for NDS right?

Now the idea:

1) We brought the DS to Nintendo today, (repaired free, in 12 months after last repair [​IMG])
    Now the dude over there, walked away to another room we stayed 5 minutes in the room, and our DS was repaired.... Sooooooo... They just RESET or Flash it back to normal.
    Because it's impossible I quess well maybe not... to replace a mainboard of a DS in that time record.... anyways he did, and same serial number so same DS.
    And workes... but we don't use the R4 clone (it looks and feels like the original for real) anymore....

So now buying a new one?

The Big Question: Can we reset our DS Lite, or Flash it by ourselves! Like the Wii.... unbrickable as long as you have BootMii, and a Nand Backup, and BootMii installed as Boot2...
    Welll..... Thats the question. and the story....

Dude Nintendo store in Nieuwegein (Netherlands) Repaired it again... but is asking questions this time about R4.... [​IMG] (If we used them we would have to pay hehe....)

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    DON'T buy anything that says R4 on it. The real R4's were discontinued awhile back, and every one you see on the market today is a clone. There are plenty of better carts that will cause many fewer headaches. Avoid R4 if at all possible.

3. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    So... what to buy [​IMG]

4. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

actually there are real r4's being produced today. you know they are real because they can actually use the 1.18 official firmware. All clones willl get stuck on loading screen when trying to do this becuase of the encryption. Trust me they are still making them today.

5. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    Thank You, then I will just buy the one I saw [​IMG] that's clear!

Okay, I will like to hear some more opinions! And! I wanna know what this Nintendo guy ****TOP SECRET****** did..... there in 5 minutes. [​IMG]

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    ...and the v1.18 official firmware is over a year out of date. Many newer games will not load without patches or a custom firmware. It's better to avoid R4 cards altogether and buy something a little more up-to-date.

7. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    XD What's the something? Just tell me, whats the NEXT generation R4 [​IMG] I mean like... M3?

What do you advice for a 7 year old girl, with a pink NDS Lite, wanting to play her games.. on a 2 gb micro sd card. Not watching movies and stuff just stay cheap.... if its possible sure. [​IMG]

8. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    get a acekard2.1
    dont get r4 no matter wat happens

9. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    get the acekard 2.1

10. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
  11. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Even the R4 won't brick the DS in the first place. But go for the Acekard 2.1.

12. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    I get that, but the clones can right... and they did at her DS Lite... and i don't want a fourth time...

thnxs.

13. Depravo

United Kingdom
    And remember to use the AKAIO firmware. It's better than the official Acekard firmware.

14. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    That will prevent a brick even better? [​IMG] Then I will XD

Again it's for a 7 year old, which wants to play her games. [​IMG] Not video (maybe sometime though) and homebrew is for her something like a book... XD I guess.

15. canderousa

Member canderousa GBAtemp Regular

United States

I agree with the above. My R4 runs great (see my thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=170621)

It plays all my games, no prob. No video or any extra features. I paid very a good price for it as well.

I put YSmenu on it because 1.18 is a little out-dated (although it STILL plays the majority of games). If you're willing to put some time and install YSmenu, you'll be happy with the R4. The Acekard is pretty awesome as well...

16. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    Hi Thnxs, I'm getting the Acekart, because I can see the difference between a real R4 and a fake not so easily you know... And well

What's the difference between Acekard 2.1 and Acekard 2. I?

17. Depravo

United Kingdom
    Acekard 2i works on the DSi (unless the DSi firmware has been updated to 1.4), Acekard2.1 doesn't.

18. oliverbomb
    OP

Netherlands
    But Acekard 2. I works with DS Lite too right?

19. EpicAwesomeFail

Newcomer EpicAwesomeFail Newbie

United States
    I got an R4i Golden from gamezway.com in the mail a while ago, and recieved it for my birthday 3 days ago. It works great, and without any problems. Is this a real one, though? They removed it from gamezway recently, so I'm having my doubts [​IMG] What do you guys think? I might end up getting another Slot-1 instead and getting a Slot-2 to go with it. I really want to play my GBA ROMs through a flashcart. [​IMG]