Hacking R4 vs CycloDS vs DSTT .. What to buy?

DemiAngel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Help me out guys! Which one is the best there is right now?
smile.gif

bug2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Well, the R4DS doesn't support SDHC, unlike CycloDS & DDST.
I didn't try any of those two, but from what I've heard, both are fine choices.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You really should use the search feature. I was on the same boat as you and decided on the CycloDS after reading the numerous comparative threads and reviews.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
R4: Easy to use, and simple to skin. It can't support micro sd cards that are over 2 gigs. (Micro sdhc)

DSTT: Cheapest, and the fastest. It doesn't have a menu, so some might not like it.

CycloDS: Most expensive, but the most advanced. It's also eay to use, supports SDHC, advanced cheat settings, great support from the team, and has the perfect download play.

If you can afford a CycloDs, or want something with advanced settings, get the cyclo. But if you just want to play games, and nothing more, get DSTT.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like the Cyclods and recommend it, but there are also other good choices such as the Acekard RPG and Supercard DS1. These get forgotten too often in the sea of R4s out there.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to have all three soon, my DSTT is coming in 2 or 3 weeks, but I can say that the Cyclo is very nice. Screwing around with slow-mo is fun! I think that the best ones out there are as follows:

Best:
CycloDS Evolution
SuperCard DS One
DS Top Toy
M3 Real
AceKard RPG

Okay:
R4DS/M3DS Simply

Meh...:
DSX
EZFlash V
And any others that I missed.
tongue.gif

But if you're a total n00b, then maybe an R4 would be best., just cuz it's so easy to use. Or if you have somewhat of an idea, maybe a DSTT or a Cyclo.

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
supercard ds1 got the best interface so far. plus it include additional/extra features like realtime save, realtime cheat, etc... i really like the interface cus we can choose various type of file listing view; simple list with only text or we can enable/disable icon... it use moonshell interface with additional option menu.

m3 is not bad but the interface quite ugly compare to r4/ttds/scds1...

D

Deleted User

Personally, I'd go for the R4 myself
tongue.gif

I have an M3 DS Simply (Exactly the same as the R4), and it works fine, full compatibility for most games (Although with some games in the future you may have to wait for firmware updates.)

m3 is not bad but the interface quite ugly compare to r4/ttds/scds1...

True, unless you mean the M3 DS Simply, which is EXACTLY the same as R4.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I'm going to have all three soon, my DSTT is coming in 2 or 3 weeks, but I can say that the Cyclo is very nice. Screwing around with slow-mo is fun! I think that the best ones out there are as follows:

Best:
CycloDS Evolution
SuperCard DS One
DS Top Toy
M3 Real
AceKard RPG

Okay:
R4DS/M3DS Simply

Meh...:
DSX
EZFlash V
And any others that I missed.Â
tongue.gif

But if you're a total n00b, then maybe an R4 would be best., just cuz it's so easy to use. Or if you have somewhat of an idea, maybe a DSTT or a Cyclo.
This sums it up quite nicely. Although I want to know why you state the EZFlash V as meh, since a few websites like DSDatabase rate it nicely, and GBATemp gave it a bronze award in a re-evaluation. So I'd say it's up there with the best
wink.gif

Not sure why anyone would buy an R4 over the DSTT these days.
You also should state your budget, since the DSTT is in a different budget level than the Cyclo.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd go for the R4 myself
tongue.gif

I have an M3 DS Simply (Exactly the same as the R4), and it works fine, full compatibility for most games (Although with some games in the future you may have to wait for firmware updates.)

Why R4? I am not aware of any advantages it has over the CycloDS?

There are many. I own both cards, and while I use the CycloDS Evo as my primary card, I keep missing my R4.

Here's my list:

The IGR works almost all the time on the R4. The IGR doesn't always work on the Evo. (Example: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin!)

Even though the R4's file system isn't as pretty as the Evo's, I prefer it. The Evo's system has one major flaw: scroll sensitivity. It's very easy to scroll past your intended selection.

You can boot to the GBA slot easier on the R4. With the Evo, you have to hold a button or dig through a menu.

Though it's much maligned, I happen to like my spring-loaded microSD slot.

The R4 lets you create backup saves.

The R4 boots up faster, but it takes longer to load up games.

The R4 automatically skips the health warning screen. The Evo requires you to hit a button.

The R4 has no loading screen. The Evo has a fixed loading screen with that ugly boner-cross logo.

The R4 has a better shell; the edges are rolled. The Evo's edges are hard. The black Evo has that ugly white logo which is visible when the card is installed. Some black Evos also have problems with the microSD sticking out.

The Evo isn't a godsend. Really. It's okay. There are only a few things that I like on the Evo.
1. microSDHC support (though I've found 4GB to be overkill - I have a bunch of content I never play)
2. RTS ... when it works
3. Autoloading the last NDS file played (hold L+R through the boner-cross loading screen)
4. You can't accidentally delete things off the card

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The R4 automatically skips the health warning screen. The Evo requires you to hit a button.

If you care to, installing Flashme will remedy this.

QUOTE3. Autoloading the last NDS file played (hold L+R through the boner-cross loading screen)

I didn't know about this. Thanks!

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

If you care to, installing Flashme will remedy this.

QUOTE said:
3. Autoloading the last NDS file played (hold L+R through the boner-cross loading screen)

I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Doesn't Flashme have some problems with sleep mode? Or was that just related to slot-2 flashcards?

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It was just an issue of using a slot-2 without a passcard. If slot-1 is empty, the ds won't go to sleep. I believe Ewin made some cards that didn't do anything except allow the unit to sleep.

Spec2K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Have all three of these cards and I prefer still the R4, over the other cards..

Is more than 2 gigs really that neccessary.. I mean if you want to listen to music or watch movies get yourself an ipod... the feature of having the other cards compitible with SDHC is cool but who really needs it.. that's all I really see that those cards have over the R4. But otherwise.. R4 still surpasses the other cards in alot of other things.

Also, I heard the R4 team is planning on releasing a firmware that can support SDHC.. will it happen? who knows.. if it does woohoo... R4 would be the best card with ALL the features.. but if not, oh well, I still prefer the R4 like what I said earlier.

Peace!
biggrin.gif

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the detailed comparison. I sure hope the real time save works fine otherwise I will be mad at getting the CycloDS instead of keeping my R4.

IBNobody

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed comparison. I sure hope the real time save works fine otherwise I will be mad at getting the CycloDS instead of keeping my R4.

It's been a decidedly mixed bag for me.

It doesn't work in AW: Days of Ruin because the in-game menu won't come up.

It had problems in Geometry Wars: Galaxies. One save worked fine, but another caused the entire game to lock up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1