Hacking R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS - help needed

LaneyAngel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have recently purchased the R4 SDHC Upgrade Revolution for my Nintendo DS Lite.
I had a similiar looking cartridge before but purchased this one due to its ability to hold a large sized card.

Its the grey card, black label, which has the silver patterns at the side.
R4 in large letters
Below that it says Upgrade

with

Revolution for DS
(NDSL/NDS)
www.r4i-sdhc.com

Above R4 it has a WiFi logo.

I've tried 6 times so far to install 6 different types of firmware.
Half of them when the card is placed into the DS it just shows up with a red square on the top half of the screen and the word "Menu?" in red.

So I tried to install a different one and the menu shows up, works fine...
Until I try to play a game and then I get an error message with a white background and black text. "Save file not founded! Restart system".

What can I do here?
My old R4 card worked just fine and I was using the Wood firmware (its default setting was a Winnie the Pooh skin! :P)

I'm fairly new to all of this stuff and I really need some direction on what to do next.
Thank-you

gnarbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm also having trouble and I think it's the same card.

I lived in China for 2 years and bought my card there. It worked great and it was good for long flights!

On July 1, I made the mistake of updating my DSi's OS when my DSi prompted me to. I've had this happen before and I've always found the new kernel on the website and successfully updated it. However, this time it doesn't work.

I have the R4 SDHC RTS (black and grey card) - http://www.r4isdhc.com/rtsproducts/

When I try to access my games, on the bottom screen with a black background, it says: "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I've tried the kernel upgrade, but it doesn't work and I get the same message. I've tried contacting them on the site, but they have never responded. I've tried going back to my R4 Gold card, but I get the same message. Did that update screw me over? Anyone have any ideas?

Kashif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also having trouble and I think it's the same card.

I lived in China for 2 years and bought my card there. It worked great and it was good for long flights!

On July 1, I made the mistake of updating my DSi's OS when my DSi prompted me to. I've had this happen before and I've always found the new kernel on the website and successfully updated it. However, this time it doesn't work.

I have the R4 SDHC RTS (black and grey card) - http://www.r4isdhc.com/rtsproducts/

When I try to access my games, on the bottom screen with a black background, it says: "An error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting."

I've tried the kernel upgrade, but it doesn't work and I get the same message. I've tried contacting them on the site, but they have never responded. I've tried going back to my R4 Gold card, but I get the same message. Did that update screw me over? Anyone have any ideas?
basically since you updated, the R4 needs to be updated as well. The only way to upgrade is to search the site printed on your card for an update package and run it on an un-upgraded DSi or on a ds lite/phat. Once you update the r4 then you can run it on your ds.

edit: for your r4 sdhc run and download this file http://down4.nds9.com/rts/3DS_Update_Frieware_2.1.0-3EJU.zip
for your r4 gold there is nothing we can help you with unless you give us the website on the front of that cart.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
edit: for your r4 sdhc run and download this file http://down4.nds9.co..._2.1.0-3EJU.zip

Thanks for the help - I've tried this download many numerous times since July, but I still get the same message... There is a chance that I'm not doing it correctly though. Any thoughts? I copy it to the main directory is all I know.
What Firmware is your DSi on? Go to the setting and look in the bottom right hand corner of the top screen.

If it says 1.4.3U then you are screwed as your carts firmware update only works up until 1.4.2U. Once again www.r4isdhc.com has abandoned another cart and left it's users to rot. Never, ever, ever buy any cart with www.r4isdhc.com on it as they are abandoned after around 6 months by the manufacturer in favour of a new cart.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
edit: for your r4 sdhc run and download this file http://down4.nds9.co..._2.1.0-3EJU.zip

Thanks for the help - I've tried this download many numerous times since July, but I still get the same message... There is a chance that I'm not doing it correctly though. Any thoughts? I copy it to the main directory is all I know.
What Firmware is your DSi on? Go to the setting and look in the bottom right hand corner of the top screen.

If it says 1.4.3U then you are screwed as your carts firmware update only works up until 1.4.2U. Once again www.r4isdhc.com has abandoned another cart and left it's users to rot. Never, ever, ever buy any cart with www.r4isdhc.com on it as they are abandoned after around 6 months by the manufacturer in favour of a new cart.

I can testify that www.r4isdhc.com cards are terrible. I bought 3 of them and they all stopped working within hours.

gnarbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What Firmware is your DSi on? Go to the setting and look in the bottom right hand corner of the top screen. If it says 1.4.3U then you are screwed as your carts firmware update only works up until 1.4.2U. Once again www.r4isdhc.com has abandoned another cart and left it's users to rot. Never, ever, ever buy any cart with www.r4isdhc.com on it as they are abandoned after around 6 months by the manufacturer in favour of a new cart.

I just looked and it looks like when I updated it, it's now at 1.4.3... Arrgh, I was kicking myself after doing that because I knew I shouldn't have do it - not thinking at all.

Yeah, r4isdhc.com cards are terrible. You can find a ultimate guide on Fake R4s on *snip and your kernel should have these files: R4.dat, R4iMenu (Folder) and moonshl2 (folder). The other ones can be changed.

I looked at their website, downloaded the kernel, tried it out, but I'm not sure how they want me to do it - sounded like I had to have 1.4.2 first. Their how-to is only for that version to upgrade... any thoughts?

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Yeah, r4isdhc.com cards are terrible. You can find a ultimate guide on Fake R4s on *snip and your kernel should have these files: R4.dat, R4iMenu (Folder) and moonshl2 (folder). The other ones can be changed.

I looked at their website, downloaded the kernel, tried it out, but I'm not sure how they want me to do it - sounded like I had to have 1.4.2 first. Their how-to is only for that version to upgrade... any thoughts?
*snip is a www.r4i-sdhc.com fanboy site that claims the www.r4i-sdhc.com carts are real R4's when they are not (If you go to the links for "Fake R4's" and "How To Identify a Real R4" they list many clones of the real R4 i.e. carts that can run Wood as fakes and the www.r4i-sdhc.com cart as a real R4 which is BS) . The kernels and firmware updates on that site are useless for the www.r4isdhc.com carts.

I'm afraid that your www.r4isdhc.com cart is useless on your DSi. Time to get something better I'm afraid (and don't get a www.r4i-sdhc.com cart either).

gnarbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay guys, thanks so much for the help. I've found one online for $18, so I think I might go that route. It you have any links that show a list of real R4s, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Okay guys, thanks so much for the help. I've found one online for $18, so I think I might go that route. It you have any links that show a list of real R4s, I'd greatly appreciate it!
What cart are you going to buy? What is the webaddress on the cart?

The only real R4 is The R4 which is out of production and will not work on a DSi. All the carts that call themselves R4i are clones of either the original R4, DSTT or AceKard or based on one of these three carts. Only get a R4i cart that runs the Wood kernel.

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BYT, are you mentally insane?

The r4i-sdhc.com one sucks so badly. It's just another clone that'll be dropped quickly.

The best one would be R4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn.

That's the only good, supported R4 cart nowadays, but seriously, get a real good cart, like AceKard2i or SuperCard DSTWO...

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
*snip

What a load of excrement.

1st Why buy a 3DS version of a cart when he has a DSi?
2nd *snip
3rd The r4i-sdhc carts are loosely based on the DSTT but as they cannot run even modified DSTT Kernels then they canot be classed as clones so must really be fake.
4th There are much better carts out there than the r4i-sdhc.com carts that run much better kernels e.g. www.r4idsn.com, www.r4ids.cn, AceKard, Supercard DSTwo and any other cart that can run Wood.

Hopefully gnarbo has completely ignored your advice and bought any cart that doesn't have r4i and sdhc in the webaddress.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See? Im not related to *********, and Im not a fanboy, stop criticizing ********* and stop having a Kernel War with me!!!

Here, let me make this easy for you.
The site you're so frequently referring to links directly to ROMs.
So don't mention it here anymore.

Problem solved.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
See? Im not related to *********, and Im not a fanboy, stop criticizing ********* and stop having a Kernel War with me!!!

Here, let me make this easy for you.
The site you're so frequently referring to links directly to ROMs.
So don't mention it here anymore.

Problem solved.
Thanks.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

*snip is a www.r4i-sdhc.com fanboy site that claims the www.r4i-sdhc.com carts are real R4's when they are not (If you go to the links for "Fake R4's" and "How To Identify a Real R4" they list many clones of the real R4 i.e. carts that can run Wood as fakes and the www.r4i-sdhc.com cart as a real R4 which is BS) . The kernels and firmware updates on that site are useless for the www.r4isdhc.com carts.

I'm afraid that your www.r4isdhc.com cart is useless on your DSi. Time to get something better I'm afraid (and don't get a www.r4i-sdhc.com cart either).
Which you so happened to be a moderator at, funny.

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country

Byt411 was on about a different site than the one I was moderator on. He was on about a site that releases unofficial kernels for www.r4i-sdhc.com carts that they claim are better than the official ones.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Byt411 was on about a different site than the one I was moderator on. He was on about a site that releases unofficial kernels for www.r4i-sdhc.com carts that they claim are better than the official ones.
Oh ok, hard to tell when all i see is *snip haha

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country

Oh ok, hard to tell when all i see is *snip haha
I know. Fortunately that site gets snipped as well thank god.

Besides the people who are left on that site don't have the brain cells to be able to create an unofficial kernel anyway. They're too busy being upset about the bad review the r4i-sdhc 3DS version got on here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol