Hacking R4 or M3 Simply

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,824
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
Which one should I get? Price doesn't matter to me. Is there any difference at all between them (firmware wise)? Should I get the M3 Simply, because they might support it for longer? I'm no good at soldering...

Xanikseo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well so far, the R4 has quicker firmware updates, but the M3 Simply is likely to support their product for longer.

You don't have to solder, you could use tin foil and sticky tape or whatever.

D

Deleted User

OP
Should I just get the M3 Simply? I still don't know
frown.gif

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if anyone else has realised this, but the M3 Simply is just an OEM version of the R4, except the R4 team probably knows their own hardware better than the M3 team, who just seem to be following the R4 team with their firmware updates.

Same with the SC DS(ONE) being an EZ Flash V clone.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, you'd be better off getting an R4 if what you're basing comparison on is future support. M3 OEM's it from R4 and iirc, M3 has a new product in the workings. They'll be quick to drop support for something they're only making a percentage off vs. something they're manufacturing and making 100% profit off.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, you'd be better off getting an R4 if what you're basing comparison on is future support. M3 OEM's it from R4 and iirc, M3 has a new product in the workings. They'll be quick to drop support for something they're only making a percentage off vs. something they're manufacturing and making 100% profit off.
That’s a very good point.

skaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though the hardware mod no longer exists with v2 PCB, you should be able to mod through firmware.

Not proven yet with v2 but the firmware mod should still hold.

Buy whatever is the cheapest available - don't forget about the shipping cost when comparing.

I bought two R4s and they're great.

Late!

Propionation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if anyone else has realised this, but the M3 Simply is just an OEM version of the R4, except the R4 team probably knows their own hardware better than the M3 team, who just seem to be following the R4 team with their firmware updates.

Same with the SC DS(ONE) being an EZ Flash V clone.
The SC DS (ONE) is not an EZ Flash V clone.
ninjapassx9pcb.jpg

ezflashvpcb.jpg

scdsonepcb.jpg

There are several differences between the three even though they use the same Actel chip. One significant one is that the Supercar DS (ONE) has a battery.

(Pics taken from Moddz.com)

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
doesnt that big actel chip stick out of the cart? and is it easy to insert?

r4 design is much better, they only use 1 chip so the backside is clean. and its easy to insert into ds.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The R4 and M3 simple boards have changed so you can't switch between the two. M3 has done this to make more money. I have the R4 and I'm very pleased with it. The M3 team has proven itself with the firmware updates. Even if R4 goes belly up and you can no longer change it to the M3 simple, I'm sure someone will hack the firmware so you can use the M3 simple firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night