Hacking R4 freezes :s

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was thinking that too. Sure it's good, but it's not perfect. It's still "in development"... so you guys are taking risks using it

Edit: Try these things:
- Backup SAV and restart the game fresh without tampering it with pokesav.
- Run 1.07 firmware instead.

myclock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ahg123.com
XP
Country
oh ok mite leave pokemon for a bit... but yesterday Mario hoop froze on me
frown.gif
could so im guessing pokesav doesnt have effect on my r4 freezing.

ill try using 1.07

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I had random freezes on my Supercard Lite / Kingston 512mb Taiwan card combo in Castlevania POR and most annoyingly in Super Mario 64 DS but since swapping to the R4DS/ Kingston 1gb Japan card combo I have experienced no lockups at all. So fingers crossed thats the end of my problems.....

Maybe you do need to remove everything off the microSD and reformat it every so often to keep things clean on the FAT as well?

myclock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ahg123.com
XP
Country
mine is FAT32 before i formatted it was just FAT, i got about 77megs free memory left. no games have i ever experienced slow downs, just freezes with music playing..

woozie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got the same problem, random freezing when im playing diamond or pearl. I've only just got my R4+1GB jap kingston, shouldve gone with the M3 simply :/ .
anyway Ive tried formatting to FAT and FAT32, got no other stuff on the card, and went back to kernal 1.07 and still freezes..

Zazie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the same problem, random freezing when im playing diamond or pearl. I've only just got my R4+1GB jap kingston, shouldve gone with the M3 simply :/ .

The M3 Simply is the same exact thing as the R4. The only difference is that the R4 gets its updates a week earlier, which M3 then releases the same exact update for the M3.

Anyway, the only time so far I've even gotten any freezing is when going through the Pokedex in Diamond and trying to look at the size information about Dialga.
I've noticed a tiny, tiny bit of slowdown when going through the battle menus sometimes, but that's definitely negligible.

Oh, and I'm using a 1GB Japan Kingston with my R4.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This shows theres no perfect card out there. i suspect if its an r4 problem they will fix it ,after all it is pokemon.. There is card out there which dont have any slowdown at all with any game however some of they cards are quite annoying when it comes to transferring roms. Well r4 are really good with updates maybe the problem will get fixed. My friend is getting an r4 soon (i will be able to test the r4 for the first time)... Does this problem happen with everybody if it does i think i will phone my friend and warn him since his kid is a pokemon freak.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've noticed a tiny, tiny bit of slowdown when going through the battle menus sometimes, but that's definitely negligible.

Oh, and I'm using a 1GB Japan Kingston with my R4.

exact same thing happens to me aswell, and the game has also frozen when in the pokedex, i touched the area tab when viewing a pokemon and the game just froze with a black screen with the tabs still showing, music playing in a loop, the first time my game froze is when i left the game for about 45 minutes to check my email so i put it in sleep mode and was charging the DS lite i came back to resume the game, opened the DS lite and the game was just frozen, i was real mad then because i didn't save for quite a few hours
hate2.gif

anyway Ive tried formatting to FAT and FAT32, got no other stuff on the card, and went back to kernal 1.07 and still freezes..

thanks for that, at least i don't have to waste my time trying to see if it's the micro SD that causing the problem! we now know that formatting it to FAT or FAT 32 will have no effect on this problem at all!

also i have noticed recently that when i change something on my R4DS after putting it into my memory card reader and putting the micro SD into the R4DS and then into the DS lite and turn it on, the R4DS is not recognised, it just shows the health and safety screen and when i touch it and go to the main DS menu there is nothing shown on the DS part, just empty, when i turn off the DS lite and blow into the slot and turn it on again it goes back to normal, this problem has been increasing more and more now, before it would happen rarely, but now it's happening almost every time i upload new stuff to the micro SD.

Smwbigboss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also i have noticed recently that when i change something on my R4DS after putting it into my memory card reader and putting the micro SD into the R4DS and then into the DS lite and turn it on, the R4DS is not recognised, it just shows the health and safety screen and when i touch it and go to the main DS menu there is nothing shown on the DS part, just empty, when i turn off the DS lite and blow into the slot and turn it on again it goes back to normal, this problem has been increasing more and more now, before it would happen rarely, but now it's happening almost every time i upload new stuff to the micro SD.

This happens to me sometimes too. Even if I don't put anything on the card since the last time I played, the DS menu keeps coming up. I just pop it out halfway and put it back in. Whenever I touch the card while in the middle of the game, even just slightly, it freezes up on me. The screen stops moving, but the music keeps playing even when you close the DS.

It probably has something to do with the shape of the card.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hmm, i changed the casing of the R4DS and it seems to improve the problem, i haven't had it not recognize for a while, so maybe the case was just loose or something?

edit: ahh! something crazy happened, when i went into sleep mode, my green light went all crazy and started flickering on and off fast!! and the music was stuttery, lol i tried to put the DS in sleep mode with a normal game and it was normal so it's definitely the R4DS, i took the R4DS out for a while and put it in again and it's stopped, i'm really worried this thing will die soon
frown.gif

Zazie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exact same thing happens to me aswell, and the game has also frozen when in the pokedex, i touched the area tab when viewing a pokemon and the game just froze with a black screen with the tabs still showing, music playing in a loop, the first time my game froze is when i left the game for about 45 minutes to check my email so i put it in sleep mode and was charging the DS lite i came back to resume the game, opened the DS lite and the game was just frozen, i was real mad then because i didn't save for quite a few hours
hate2.gif

hrm. That's odd.
I've yet to have any freezes from sleep mode, and I've left it in sleep mode over-night while charging on numerous occasions.
Hell. I've flipped my DS in and out of sleep mode a good 10+ times within the past hour to play Pokemon on and off, without saving and all without fail.

It is possible that it's the card itself, considering there are manufacturing defects and the like, however small and insignificant they can be sometimes.
Or, it could be a random defect in the R4 itself, too.

But iunno. I've only had an R4 for the past month(same goes for my DS), but so far the only freezing I've had was with the Pokedex like I mentioned before. And I doubt it's only from a small amount of playing, considering I've got over 30 hours logged in on Diamond, and have played through a few other games before Pokemon even came out.

Oh, and I've got my MicroSD formated to Fat, as opposed to Fat32.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
hrm. That's odd.
I've yet to have any freezes from sleep mode, and I've left it in sleep mode over-night while charging on numerous occasions.
Hell. I've flipped my DS in and out of sleep mode a good 10+ times within the past hour to play Pokemon on and off, without saving and all without fail.

It is possible that it's the card itself, considering there are manufacturing defects and the like, however small and insignificant they can be sometimes.
Or, it could be a random defect in the R4 itself, too.

But iunno. I've only had an R4 for the past month(same goes for my DS), but so far the only freezing I've had was with the Pokedex like I mentioned before. And I doubt it's only from a small amount of playing, considering I've got over 30 hours logged in on Diamond, and have played through a few other games before Pokemon even came out.

Oh, and I've got my MicroSD formated to Fat, as opposed to Fat32.

i've had my R4DS since it was first released, so that's quite a while, i so far have around nearly 50 hours of gameplay on pokemon diamond and i too leave the game in sleep mode for long hours, the sleep mode problem just only started 1 hour ago, it's never happened before
unsure.gif
also it doesn't really matter what format the micro SD is in because a poster in this topic had said they had used both FAT and FAT 32 and it made no difference pokemon diamond still froze, and it's definitely the R4DS as i did say that i tried a retail cart and it was fine, i thought it was my actual DS lite playing up at first
blink.gif

D

Deleted User

Hmmm ... so I guess the problem could actually be a mechanical problem? Like, if you touch the card, or jolt your ds too hard, it might loosen the connection a bit? I guess I'll trying screwing the case a little tighter or something. It's worth a shot.
tongue.gif
Or maybe it's a fragmentation problem in the filesystem.

I've had freezes on Cakemania and Pokemon. I've also had the problem where the R4 doesn't load. I'm using 1.08 and a 1GB Kingston (Japan) microSD.

tackle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Might sound weird.. but could you guys with the problem try to (softly) jiggle around the card as to provoke a lockup?
Maybe shake the DS a bit, just to rule out if it's something mechanical.

Then again, if it happens at specific places in specific games.. it sounds less mechanical and more software-related... but research is always good so shake away!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: