Homebrew R4 Deluxe information wanted

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everybody!

Im new to the DS flash card scene, and have only recently obtained one, a R4 Deluxe. I have an origional NDs as well (if that affects what card/software i can use)

So basically ive been trying to do some things on it, like Lameboy etc and any help i have needed usually brought me here. So, I thought Id make an account, so i can get more help/ try and help more people. At the moment, I want to make sure my card has new software on it (like WAIO etc) and was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

So far, I have WAIO on my card (running some R4 1.20 software to boot WAIO) and Im a little worried about what I put on the card - I dont want to brick my DS or my flashcard
rolleyes.gif
I can play a few ROMs, with some not working, and all the homebrew apps work (love DSOrganise and lameboy) and just wandered what i needed to be up to date and compatible with my card.

Thankyou for all the help in advanced, and big appologies if im posting in the wrong place.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have that card, and is a clone of the R4 Advance, and that, is an R4 SDHC clone...
the official page have dissapeared... so I have bougth a SuperCard DS TWO, but I'm still using my R4 Deluxe, with two Kernels: Wood R4 SDHC sav defragmented (AKA WAIO) and YSMenu, 'cause YSMenu can't run some roms...

I have used my NDS Lite within my R4 Deluxe for Two years and there are still no problems.
If you have a question, PM and I will happily answer
smile.gif
!

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
By Addres, do you mean a set of numbers? All it says on the card is:-

R4
DELUXE
Revolution for DS
(NDSL/NDS)

The file structure:

_rpg/
_system_/
BEUP/
DSOrganise/
(hidden)FOUND.000/
Images/
lmp-ng/
moonshl/
Sounds/
Videos/

_DS_MENU.dat
_DS_MENU.DAT.OLD (i modded it to try and add compatibility for certain roms, it didnt affect it)
_DS_MENU (Config setting file type, as told by Windows 7)
_DS_MENU.SYS
_DS_MENU.NDS

Then its a list of ROMs and other .nds and .SAV files.

If you need any other info, just ask and ill try my best.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are only 2 DS trojans that will brick your DS

http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/DS_Bricker

Stay clear from those and you should be fine...

We need the URL address for your card,meaning the website,which should be on the box.

If your lucky and its a R4 or DSTT clone,YSMenu should run on it and you'll be able to use retrogamefan's updated files(check DSTT section)

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thankyou for the info lolzed. Ill be sure to stay away from those files, and the address on the box is r4deluxe.com (with http and stuff in front.)

When i know what card I have, ill be a little more confident with what i put on there
smile.gif
for the time being, im not messing with anything XD.

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im more than happy to give ysmenue a go, but idont really know what it is/what the advantages are......I can run some ROMs allready, just not newer ones (pokemon platinum runs fine, HG/SS black screen, even when patched)

I dont really want to spend hours getting ysmenu to run on my card (following tutorials and stuff) and i was hoping more for a copy/paste of some clever firmware, like woodR4
smile.gif
But, if ysmenu can enable me to do alot more, then im more than happy to give it a go.

*EDIT*

Is there a tutorial anyone can link/pm me to to put ysmenu on my type of card (if possible) as there are many tutorials, and I dont know which ones work or not on my card.

D

Deleted User

Just buy a new flashcard, R4's are as trashy as they come. I say this with the utmost respect for the Yellow White Goblin's Wood Firmware. That's the only reason I'd ever consider using an R4. These days the AK2i or the SCDSTwo run just about everything hands free (and last I checked the AK2i) was still relatively cheap on shoptemp? like what $15?

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well living in the UK has made me a little bit cautious about buying a flashcard.....they were made illegal in the UK to sell, and I have never known any good sites or cards (any reccomendations are good) so im a little bit worried about buying one.....I used to be into modding consoles a long time ago, and this was when R4 was around, so im a little outdated
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $16 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
cardchart.gif

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Clean Mode
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

If you don't like referral links, the non-ref versions are here.
R4
Acekard 2i
Supercard DSTwo

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
realparisluke said:
6.00 USD = 3.85517 GBP

so for £4 i can get genuine R4? sounds good to me
smile.gif
No. For £4 you can get a 1:1 clone.
Since there is no more R4 team putting out the original R4 cards, it is as close to the original R4 as you can get now-a-days.

I'll explain it like this:
You use the exact same parts that Rolex uses, you put it together the same exact way Rolex does.
It works like a Rolex, looks like a Rolex, and has the same quality as a Rolex... but it's not a genuine Rolex.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I do have to stress again that the R4 is old technology, it doesn't even support SDHC.

Even the most expensive flash cart in that list is less than the price of a single game.

EDIT: Yar, the original R4 team disbanded ages ago, but you're getting the same R4 hardware and it can run Wood, unlike many of the R4 clones that use different hardware and have no game updates.

realparisluke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyways, back to the origional topic, is there any definitive way of getting the majority of homebrew to run on my card? Ill consider the other cards after christmas when i have a full time job
smile.gif

*EDIT*

As of my last edit, ive tried some tutorials and half the files i need cant be downloaded...rrrr...........all i want to do is play heart gold
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.