R4 Deluxe information wanted

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by realparisluke, Nov 29, 2010.

Nov 29, 2010
  1. realparisluke
    OP

Newcomer realparisluke Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hello everybody!

Im new to the DS flash card scene, and have only recently obtained one, a R4 Deluxe. I have an origional NDs as well (if that affects what card/software i can use)

So basically ive been trying to do some things on it, like Lameboy etc and any help i have needed usually brought me here. So, I thought Id make an account, so i can get more help/ try and help more people. At the moment, I want to make sure my card has new software on it (like WAIO etc) and was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

So far, I have WAIO on my card (running some R4 1.20 software to boot WAIO) and Im a little worried about what I put on the card - I dont want to brick my DS or my flashcard [​IMG] I can play a few ROMs, with some not working, and all the homebrew apps work (love DSOrganise and lameboy) and just wandered what i needed to be up to date and compatible with my card.

Thankyou for all the help in advanced, and big appologies if im posting in the wrong place.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    First we need to determine what your cart is actually a clone of.

Tell us the address printed on the cart itself (not something you find through google, show us the address on the cart) and take a screenshot of the root of your microSD so we can see some of the file structure.

3. Dartz150

Member Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

Mexico
    I have that card, and is a clone of the R4 Advance, and that, is an R4 SDHC clone...
    the official page have dissapeared... so I have bougth a SuperCard DS TWO, but I'm still using my R4 Deluxe, with two Kernels: Wood R4 SDHC sav defragmented (AKA WAIO) and YSMenu, 'cause YSMenu can't run some roms...

I have used my NDS Lite within my R4 Deluxe for Two years and there are still no problems.
    If you have a question, PM and I will happily answer [​IMG]!

4. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    By Addres, do you mean a set of numbers? All it says on the card is:-

R4
    DELUXE
    Revolution for DS
    (NDSL/NDS)

The file structure:

_rpg/
    _system_/
    BEUP/
    DSOrganise/
    (hidden)FOUND.000/
    Images/
    lmp-ng/
    moonshl/
    Sounds/
    Videos/

_DS_MENU.dat
    _DS_MENU.DAT.OLD (i modded it to try and add compatibility for certain roms, it didnt affect it)
    _DS_MENU (Config setting file type, as told by Windows 7)
    _DS_MENU.SYS
    _DS_MENU.NDS

Then its a list of ROMs and other .nds and .SAV files.

If you need any other info, just ask and ill try my best.

5. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    FOUND.000 is from chkdsk or scandisk

6. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    There are only 2 DS trojans that will brick your DS

http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/DS_Bricker

Stay clear from those and you should be fine...

We need the URL address for your card,meaning the website,which should be on the box.

If your lucky and its a R4 or DSTT clone,YSMenu should run on it and you'll be able to use retrogamefan's updated files(check DSTT section)

7. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thankyou for the info lolzed. Ill be sure to stay away from those files, and the address on the box is r4deluxe.com (with http and stuff in front.)

When i know what card I have, ill be a little more confident with what i put on there [​IMG] for the time being, im not messing with anything XD.

8. Rydian

United States
    Unfortunately you've got an extra-shitty clone as that site's domain-squatted.

Unless somebody can find that your card directly runs some alternate updateable firmware, you'll need to buy a new one.

9. Sephxus

Member Sephxus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Try launching ysmenu. It seems Dartz150 has been successful. If you can do this, your cart may not be as worthless as previously thought.

10. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    Im more than happy to give ysmenue a go, but idont really know what it is/what the advantages are......I can run some ROMs allready, just not newer ones (pokemon platinum runs fine, HG/SS black screen, even when patched)

I dont really want to spend hours getting ysmenu to run on my card (following tutorials and stuff) and i was hoping more for a copy/paste of some clever firmware, like woodR4 [​IMG] But, if ysmenu can enable me to do alot more, then im more than happy to give it a go.

*EDIT*

Is there a tutorial anyone can link/pm me to to put ysmenu on my type of card (if possible) as there are many tutorials, and I dont know which ones work or not on my card.

11. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Just buy a new flashcard, R4's are as trashy as they come. I say this with the utmost respect for the Yellow White Goblin's Wood Firmware. That's the only reason I'd ever consider using an R4. These days the AK2i or the SCDSTwo run just about everything hands free (and last I checked the AK2i) was still relatively cheap on shoptemp? like what $15?

12. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well living in the UK has made me a little bit cautious about buying a flashcard.....they were made illegal in the UK to sell, and I have never known any good sites or cards (any reccomendations are good) so im a little bit worried about buying one.....I used to be into modding consoles a long time ago, and this was when R4 was around, so im a little outdated [​IMG]

13. Rydian

United States
    You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
    [*]The original R4.
    NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
    NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
    • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
    • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
    [*]Acekard 2i
    • Price: $16 from shoptemp.com
    • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
    [*]Supercard DSTwo[​IMG]
    • DS / DS Lite
      The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
    • DSi / DSi XL
      The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
    • Game Updates
      Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
    • SDHC
      SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
    • WiFi Update
      The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
    • Clean Mode
      The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
    • RTS
      The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
    • In-Game Guide
      You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
    • Slow Motion
      The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
    • In-Game Cheats
      The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
    • Special Homebrew
      The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
    • Battery Life
      Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

If you don't like referral links, the non-ref versions are here.
    R4
    Acekard 2i
    Supercard DSTwo

14. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
  15. Rydian

United States
    It's this site's official partner site, they don't sell any fakes.

16. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    6.00 USD = 3.85517 GBP

so for £4 i can get genuine R4? sounds good to me [​IMG]

17. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    No. For £4 you can get a 1:1 clone.
    Since there is no more R4 team putting out the original R4 cards, it is as close to the original R4 as you can get now-a-days.

I'll explain it like this:
    You use the exact same parts that Rolex uses, you put it together the same exact way Rolex does.
    It works like a Rolex, looks like a Rolex, and has the same quality as a Rolex... but it's not a genuine Rolex.

18. Rydian

United States
    I do have to stress again that the R4 is old technology, it doesn't even support SDHC.

Even the most expensive flash cart in that list is less than the price of a single game.

EDIT: Yar, the original R4 team disbanded ages ago, but you're getting the same R4 hardware and it can run Wood, unlike many of the R4 clones that use different hardware and have no game updates.

19. realparisluke
    OP

United Kingdom
    Anyways, back to the origional topic, is there any definitive way of getting the majority of homebrew to run on my card? Ill consider the other cards after christmas when i have a full time job [​IMG]

*EDIT*

As of my last edit, ive tried some tutorials and half the files i need cant be downloaded...rrrr...........all i want to do is play heart gold [​IMG]

20. Rydian

United States
    The three carts I listed run homebrew fine.

The tutorials and all that other shit is for people who have unsupported carts. For a cart that has actual updates, you don't need to do anything special, the damn games just run fine.