Hacking R4 Custom Firmware "Dual Boot" - R4 & YSMenu

Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After reading recent posts about the YSMenu on R4 (using DSTT firmware), I've just been thinking whether or not it would be possible to develop a 'Dual Boot' for the R4DS, as follows:

1. R4 firmware retained for using homebrew, skinning (if that's your thing), Sakura for Multimedia
2. YSMenu obviously for the better game compatability of DSTT firmware going forward, direct boot to slot-2

A 'Dual Boot' would be a very handy piece of firmware, well I think so anyway.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
You could set up default boot as YSMenu, name the R4 menu default.nds and it'll auto boot the R4 menu.
Then you hold B to boot YSMenu
My brain is all slow and junk from working too many hours this week..
But as soon as I can figure this post out, it'll be amazing.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
just have R4 menu as DEFAULT .... then have the YSMENU as an NDS FILE as above if you rename the _DS_MSHL.nds (moon shell nds file to moonshell.nds) and then rename the YSMENU.nds file to _DS_MSHL.nds you can then load YSMENU by hitting the MOONSHELL middle icon in the R4 menu
wink.gif

when and if you want to load MOONSHELL just load it like a normal game rom
smile.gif

Cokeman999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
just have R4 menu as DEFAULT .... then have the YSMENU as an NDS FILE as above if you rename the _DS_MSHL.nds (moon shell nds file to moonshell.nds) and then rename the YSMENU.nds file to _DS_MSHL.nds you can then load YSMENU by hitting the MOONSHELL middle icon in the R4 menu
wink.gif

smile.gif

I've tried this a couple months ago to have a game as the default middle r4 icon by renaming it, as you stated. It doesn't work. If there is something special you have to do give me a hit and let me know. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't work...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cokeman999 said:
kobykaan said:
wink.gif

smile.gif

I've tried this a couple months ago to have a game as the default middle r4 icon by renaming it, as you stated. It doesn't work. If there is something special you have to do give me a hit and let me know. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't work...

1) rename your _DS_MSHL.nds file to moonshell.nds and then rename whatever nds file you want to use instead to _DS_MSHL.nds (make sure you dont have it down as a double extension eg moonshell.nds.nds or _DS_MSHL.nds.nds)

to check if you may have a double extension .... this is how you display the filename extension . .

To view the fullname (file name and file extension), you must enable this function first, so you will be able to rename the file extension directly. TO enable this, open any Windows Explorer Window first, then go to 'View' from the menu bar and select/click 'Folder Options...'.

The 'Folder Options' preference window will open up. Select the 'View' tab,
locate the 'Hide file extensions for known file types' and uncheck it (disable it).

Once you do that, press OK from below and the window will close, thus enabling you to view the file name as well as the file extensions of all registered (known) files; .mp3, .zip, .bmp, .txt, .wav, .jpg .nds etc...

Now you can go and rename the file extensions of any file directly

to rehide the extensions just reverse the process above and untick the box next to hide file extensions
wink.gif

Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
wink.gif

smile.gif
Thanks for the info...seems reasonably close to what I was thinking of. Although I'm not the 'sharpest' when it comes to this sort of stuff, I'll give it a crack & see how I go.
bow.gif
= this is me praying lol

NB: I'm only now running sakura multimedia hack on my R4 & Triple Boot on my M3DS Real because someone kindly uploaded it for us to try

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
NB: I'm only now running sakura multimedia hack on my R4 & Triple Boot on my M3DS Real because someone kindly uploaded it for us to try

yeah was using that as a media player inplace of moonshell for a while then decided to swap it for YSMENU instead as an alternate for loading games
wink.gif

Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
1) rename your _DS_MSHL.nds file to moonshell.nds and then rename whatever nds file you want to use instead to _DS_MSHL.nds (make sure you dont have it down as a double extension eg moonshell.nds.nds or _DS_MSHL.nds.nds)
Sorry to be a pain, but I don't have a YSMenu.nds file. This is what is in my YSmenu patched for R4:

_system_ (folder)
TTMenu (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
r4patch.dat
ttdldi.dat
TTMENU.dat
ttpatch.dat
YSMenu.ini

NB: Your instructions above, are they to modify the original R4 kernel, or the "YSMenu on R4" I have stated here?
Thanks in advance

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
kobykaan said:
Sorry to be a pain, but I don't have a YSMenu.nds file. This is what is in my YSmenu patched for R4:

_system_ (folder)
TTMenu (folder)
_DS_MENU.DAT
r4patch.dat
ttdldi.dat
TTMENU.dat
ttpatch.dat
YSMenu.ini

NB: Your instructions above, are they to modify the original R4 kernel, or the "YSMenu on R4" I have stated here?
Thanks in advance
You used R4crypt to encrypt YSmenu.nds and get _DS_MENU.DAT, then you probably deleted YSmenu.nds like the guide said.

Dark^'^Knigh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for that, I now have it working.

Yeah, as I said in prior post I d/l the pre-patched YSMenu for R4 (so I never saw/had the YSMenu.nds file). So I just d/l the YSMenu from his site and carried out Kobykaan's instructions.

Thanks for the help guys
wink.gif

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
Thanks for that, I now have it working.

Yeah, as I said in prior post I d/l the pre-patched YSMenu for R4 (so I never saw/had the YSMenu.nds file). So I just d/l the YSMenu from his site and carried out Kobykaan's instructions.

Thanks for the help guys
wink.gif

You could have used r4crypt to decrypt the _DS_MENU.DAT file back to YSMenu.nds

"r4crypt.exe -d _DS_MENU.DAT YSMenu.nds"

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RayRay19wun said:
can we use this firmware http://www.r4sdhc.com/download-en.htm just wondering

yes but you need to patch it with M3/R4 patcher but ... makes no difference it WILL NOT ADD SDHC support and WILL NOT add anything different or any game updates as they are IDENTICAL to the latest R4 1.18 update as they BLATENTLY RIPPED it off
frown.gif

RayRay19wun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
RayRay19wun said:

yes but you need to patch it with M3/R4 patcher but ... makes no difference it WILL NOT ADD SDHC support and WILL NOT add anything different or any game updates as they are IDENTICAL to the latest R4 1.18 update as they BLATENTLY RIPPED it off
frown.gif

i know it wont add sdhc support im asking can we use this for more rom compatibility

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RayRay19wun said:
kobykaan said:
RayRay19wun said:

frown.gif

i know it wont add sdhc support im asking can we use this for more rom compatibility
I think it has the same compatibility as the official 1.18.
smile.gif

RayRay19wun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mabey but it does say
Code:
Update R4 SDHC v1.21 kernel 2008-8-7
1.Fixed compatibility issued with Daigassou Band Brothers DX?2385??Nanashi no Game?2420?

which is why im asking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0