R4 Clones

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Matthew, Mar 20, 2010.

Mar 20, 2010

R4 Clones by Matthew at 2:41 PM (920 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Matthew
    OP

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    We all hate R4 clones right, but why.

Lets me ask you a question, what do YOU want from a DS Slot one flash cart?
    • DS Games
    • Homebrew Support
    • Soft Reset
    • Skin Support
    • Flush fitting card
    • MicroSD slot
    • Clean ROM support
    • Firmware Updates
    • Clean Mode
    Well out of all of these things, nearly ALL R4 clones have these features. For example, my R4 clone (yes I have one) even has regular updates, all the games I want I can play, even Sonic and Sega Super Stars Racing. The only feature I really would like is a Clean mode like the highly priced CycloDS.
    What features do R4 clones not have compared to other cards?

M3
    • Sakura Firmware
    So what? I have moonshell 2.10

CycloDS
    • Clean Mode
    A very expensive mode for a very small number of games.

AKAIO
    • Even more regular Updates
    Within a few days patches will be made, then a but longer and there a firmware update. Even with this, there are LITERALLY thousands of other DS games.

DSIplayer & Supercard DSTWO
    • Multimedia
    • GBA Emulation
    Who cares? Multimedia = TV/Comupter, GBA Slot Two card(cheap) or computer

See what I'm saying. Either I have a really good clone or R4 clone aren't that bad. I wouldn't get another one if my card broke, but they do the job they are meant to do perfectly. What else do you want, they are just features which apply to a small number of newer games. Persuade me.

The main thing which puts me of is the Name, all called a R4.

2. bennyroger

Member bennyroger GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Of the 100's of R4 carts only 2 have decent support thats www.r4rts.com (or.cn) or www.r4i-sdhc.com/indexe.asp
    The problem is its nearly impossible for newcomers to differ them so its safer to buy a cart with its own brand name like Acekards and M3 etc...
    You had luck at got one of the two good ones the first time......

3. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    You can analyse the Pros & Cons all you want, but you will always get the same net result - R4 carts are out-dated shite! You can keep fooling your cheap-ass self that it was the best 5-8 bucks ever spent, because it plays the games you want, except for...blah, blah, blah. You know the ones, oh yeah, the popular ones.

edit: you should edit the opening line in your post from "We all hate R4 clones..." to "Why do you all hate R4 clones, because I have one and...". You can't claim to be on the "good side", whilst sleeping with the enemy!

4. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I barely need my flashcart. I find No Cash is about as useful.

I just want to see the game for 5 minutes so I can know, is this part of the 90% or the 10%.

Fortunately I'm not a cheap cunt, or a whiny 13 year old crying over how cruel fate dumped them in a commercial desert unable to buy squat.

If the game is actually worth anything, I'd likely rather buy it.

But I just don't feel like paying 40 bucks, and THEN seeing what No Cash could have shown me first.

R4 or ultimate card, they serve the same function in the end for me. It's a means to see, 'does this game suck donkey balls?'.

5. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    This should be in Blogs...