Hacking R4 Cheats not working please help.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so ive been playing my r4 for a while now, and ive been tryin to get action replay cheats to work. The game i was tryin to get it to work for is Pokemon Pearl (US). I understand all of the information with the code editor and shit but everytime i put the usrcheat.dat and proceed to go into my game it just keeps sayin no cheats found. It is really frustrating me so please help.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
I had problems with R4i Gold and a specific game as well. I wound up making a .cht file for that game. It allowed me to add only which specific codes I wanted.
A .cht file follows a specific format and must have the same file name (not including extension of course) as the ROM. Open Notepad and copy/paste this info into it. Then edit to add info needed from your game and its cheats. The game code I extracted using R4CCE.

CODE;@@@@@ Game Title: (PUT GAME'S TITLE HERE)
;@@@@@ Game Code: (PUT GAME'S ID CODE HERE)
;@@@@@ CRC32: (NOT SURE; I JUST PUT GAME'S CODE HERE (And it worked fine))
;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 2 (adjust as needed)
;@@Folder Name: Codes

#CODE 1
;(#=OFF BY DEFAULT)
;@Data Length: 7
;------------------
02000000 1C0D1C06
02000004 F03E01AD
12000008 0000F912
92000008 0000F912
1203E22A 0000F7C1
1203E22C 0000FEE9
D2000000 00000000

@CODE 2
;(@=ON BY DEFAULT)
;@Data Length: 4
;------------------
94000130 FFFB0000
222422ED 000000FF
222422EE 000000FF
D2000000 00000000

This is from a really old post I made, this was the solution I found to similar problem with getting cheat codes working on different game.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
exangel said:
I had problems with R4i Gold and a specific game as well. I wound up making a .cht file for that game. It allowed me to add only which specific codes I wanted.
A .cht file follows a specific format and must have the same file name (not including extension of course) as the ROM. Open Notepad and copy/paste this info into it. Then edit to add info needed from your game and its cheats. The game code I extracted using R4CCE.

CODE;@@@@@ Game Title: (PUT GAME'S TITLE HERE)
;@@@@@ Game Code: (PUT GAME'S ID CODE HERE)
;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 2 (adjust as needed)

#CODE 1
;(#=OFF BY DEFAULT)
;@Data Length: 7
;------------------
02000000 1C0D1C06
02000004 F03E01AD
12000008 0000F912
92000008 0000F912
1203E22A 0000F7C1
1203E22C 0000FEE9
D2000000 00000000

@CODE 2
;(@=ON BY DEFAULT)
;@Data Length: 4
;------------------
94000130 FFFB0000
222422ED 000000FF
222422EE 000000FF
D2000000 00000000

This is from a really old post I made, this was the solution I found to similar problem with getting cheat codes working on different game.

What do you mean as in game's code.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And would this work?
Code:
;@@@@@ Game Title: Pokemon Pearl
;@@@@@ Game Code: APAE 31D0AFDE
;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 1

@CODE 1
;(#=OFF BY DEFAULT)
;@Data Length: 5
;------------------
94000130 FCFF0000
B21C4D28 00000000
B0000004 00000000
00000DAC 03E70032
D2000000 00000000

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a two-part hex number that represents the game's ID code in R4CCE
you should know how to find that if you tried making sure your codes in your cheat database matched up to the ROM you had XD

edit: duh, i guess i didn't really pay attention to the exact part you quoted
you should rename the caps'd part that says @CODE 1 to something that represents what the code actually is. the @ symbol will make the code default to on if the cheats are enabled for that game. the line that says ";(#=OFF BY DEFAULT") can be removed after you've edited it and saved the "whatever you named your pokemon rom.cht" file

edit2: no guarantee this will work with your version of R4, but it's definitely worth trying >

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok tried it again.
Code:
;@@@@@ Game Title: Pokemon Pearl
;@@@@@ Game Code: APAE 31D0AFDE
;@@@@@ CRC32: APAE 31D0AFDE
;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 1

@x999 Rare Candies
;@Data Length: 5
;------------------
94000130 FCFF0000
B21C4D28 00000000
B0000004 00000000
00000DAC 03E70032
D2000000 00000000
Look good?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks pretty much just like how I had configured the cheat file for my game, except I used as many as 5 codes at a time and edited it on the fly.. >.>

Give it a try.

(PS: about the CRC32 line-- I think this part is supposed to be a line where you can verify the checksum of the romfile or something to make sure it's the right one, but I have never needed this entry to be accurate for the cheats to load)

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
That looks pretty much just like how I had configured the cheat file for my game, except I used as many as 5 codes at a time and edited it on the fly.. >.>

Give it a try.

(PS: about the CRC32 line-- I think this part is supposed to be a line where you can verify the checksum of the romfile or something to make sure it's the right one, but I have never needed this entry to be accurate for the cheats to load)
Ok one more question where would i put this file. And to make it a .cht file do i just put that at the end of the files name?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JDex said:
Ok one more question where would i put this file. And to make it a .cht file do i just put that at the end of the files name?

You would put this file in the same directory where the rom sits, and make sure the full file name is the same as your ROM except instead of saying .nds extention it would say .cht even though you presumably edited it in Notepad. Make sure it doesn't wind up being saved as "romfile.cht.txt" by making sure all file extensions are displayed in the preferences for displaying files in Windows Explorer if you're not set up to do that already.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
JDex said:

You would put this file in the same directory where the rom sits, and make sure the full file name is the same as your ROM except instead of saying .nds extention it would say .cht even though you presumably edited it in Notepad. Make sure it doesn't wind up being saved as "romfile.cht.txt" by making sure all file extensions are displayed in the preferences for displaying files in Windows Explorer if you're not set up to do that already.
Thank you so much!! :DDDD it works.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
Awesome, glad this wasn't all a waste of our time lol
Ok so i got the cheats on there and i can go into the m4 and it says the cheats are there and i enable them but i cant get them to work in game.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JDex said:
exangel said:
Ok so i got the cheats on there and i can go into the m4 and it says the cheats are there and i enable them but i cant get them to work in game.

QUOTE(iluvfupaburgers @ Nov 6 2010, 06:35 PM)
some codes require pressing a specific button or buttons, so make sure if its one of those. also try using usrcheat.dat since other formats can cause problems on r4

if you paste the code into a new code entry (or examine its existing entry) in R4CCE it should highlight to the bottom of the code area which button/buttons is required for code activation.
Make sure if an enabling code is required for your cheats, you add that to the .cht file as well.
Make sure when you select the cheats in the menu before loading the rom that you press the correct button to save your cheat settings.
If you're sure you've done all of that correctly, make sure there is no entry in your usrcheat.dat for the game that you're trying to use a .cht file with.

Hope that is helpful..

Edit/Note: The hash # sign makes a code default to off, if your cheat settings are saving incorrectly you should use the @ sign in front of the cheat's name to default the codes to on.

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iluvfupaburgers said:
some codes require pressing a specific button or buttons, so make sure if its one of those. also try using usrcheat.dat since other formats can cause problems on r4
ok i understand that but any time i try to use any cheat through the .cht file they dont work in game but show up in the R4 cheat menu. The reason i made this thread is because the usrcheat.dat is not working. Any help?

JDex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exangel said:
JDex said:
exangel said:

QUOTE(iluvfupaburgers @ Nov 6 2010, 06:35 PM)

if you paste the code into a new code entry (or examine its existing entry) in R4CCE it should highlight to the bottom of the code area which button/buttons is required for code activation.
Make sure if an enabling code is required for your cheats, you add that to the .cht file as well.
Make sure when you select the cheats in the menu before loading the rom that you press the correct button to save your cheat settings.
If you're sure you've done all of that correctly, make sure there is no entry in your usrcheat.dat for the game that you're trying to use a .cht file with.

Hope that is helpful..

Edit/Note: The hash # sign makes a code default to off, if your cheat settings are saving incorrectly you should use the @ sign in front of the cheat's name to default the codes to on.
Ok well for pokemon pearl there are no Master codes so they should work. i took out the usrcheat.dat file and its still not working. another question is the X or the 0 mean it is activated.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JDex said:
Ok well for pokemon pearl there are no Master codes so they should work. i took out the usrcheat.dat file and its still not working. another question is the X or the 0 mean it is activated.

I have not used the kernel for your particular R4, so I don't know. For Wood/Acekard the icon signifying when a code is selected or not depends on the theme you have installed. I don't think that can actually be set with traditional R4 themes. I would think that X means selected and O means off, but O also means a closed circuit symbolically and could mean on, I wish I could actually help and answer your question.

You're not supposed to trash the usrcheat.dat entirely, I don't know if its complete removal actually has any effect, but I only meant for you to remove the cheat folder in the usrcheat.dat (using R4CCE) for the game you're using a .cht file with.
If you have set up your cheat file with the @ sign in front of the name of each code you want enabled by default, it will show up as on, all you need to do is make sure that you start the game with cheats enabled setting (i.e. you wouldn't actually have to pick out anything manually, just make sure cheats enabled when loading ROM).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple