R4 Cheats not working please help.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by JDex, Nov 6, 2010.

Nov 6, 2010
  1. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Ok so ive been playing my r4 for a while now, and ive been tryin to get action replay cheats to work. The game i was tryin to get it to work for is Pokemon Pearl (US). I understand all of the information with the code editor and shit but everytime i put the usrcheat.dat and proceed to go into my game it just keeps sayin no cheats found. It is really frustrating me so please help.

2. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Is it an R4 running Wood, or another kind?

3. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Its an R4 Ultra. Im running kernel 1.56.

4. exangel

United States
    This is from a really old post I made, this was the solution I found to similar problem with getting cheat codes working on different game.

5. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    ;@@@@@ CRC32: (NOT SURE; I JUST PUT GAME'S CODE HERE (And it worked fine))

What do you mean as in game's code.

6. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    And would this work?
    Code:
    ;@@@@@ Game Title: Pokemon Pearl
    ;@@@@@ Game Code: APAE 31D0AFDE
    ;@@@@@ CRC32: (NOT SURE; I JUST PUT GAME'S CODE HERE (And it worked fine))
    ;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 1
    ;@@Folder Name: Codes

@CODE 1
    ;(#=OFF BY DEFAULT)
    ;@Data Length: 5
    ;------------------
    94000130 FCFF0000
    B21C4D28 00000000
    B0000004 00000000
    00000DAC 03E70032
    D2000000 00000000

7. exangel

United States
    there's a two-part hex number that represents the game's ID code in R4CCE
    you should know how to find that if you tried making sure your codes in your cheat database matched up to the ROM you had XD

edit: duh, i guess i didn't really pay attention to the exact part you quoted
    you should rename the caps'd part that says @CODE 1 to something that represents what the code actually is. the @ symbol will make the code default to on if the cheats are enabled for that game. the line that says ";(#=OFF BY DEFAULT") can be removed after you've edited it and saved the "whatever you named your pokemon rom.cht" file

edit2: no guarantee this will work with your version of R4, but it's definitely worth trying >

8. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Ok tried it again.
    Code:
    ;@@@@@ Game Title: Pokemon Pearl
    ;@@@@@ Game Code: APAE 31D0AFDE
    ;@@@@@ CRC32: APAE 31D0AFDE
    ;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 1
    ;@@Folder Name: Codes

@x999 Rare Candies
    ;@Data Length: 5
    ;------------------
    94000130 FCFF0000
    B21C4D28 00000000
    B0000004 00000000
    00000DAC 03E70032
    D2000000 00000000
    Look good?

9. exangel

United States
    That looks pretty much just like how I had configured the cheat file for my game, except I used as many as 5 codes at a time and edited it on the fly.. >.>

Give it a try.

(PS: about the CRC32 line-- I think this part is supposed to be a line where you can verify the checksum of the romfile or something to make sure it's the right one, but I have never needed this entry to be accurate for the cheats to load)

10. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Ok one more question where would i put this file. And to make it a .cht file do i just put that at the end of the files name?

11. exangel

United States
    You would put this file in the same directory where the rom sits, and make sure the full file name is the same as your ROM except instead of saying .nds extention it would say .cht even though you presumably edited it in Notepad. Make sure it doesn't wind up being saved as "romfile.cht.txt" by making sure all file extensions are displayed in the preferences for displaying files in Windows Explorer if you're not set up to do that already.

12. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Thank you so much!! :DDDD it works.

13. exangel

United States
    Awesome, glad this wasn't all a waste of our time lol

14. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Ok so i got the cheats on there and i can go into the m4 and it says the cheats are there and i enable them but i cant get them to work in game.

15. iluvfupaburgers

Member iluvfupaburgers FUPA Luva

Ecuador
    some codes require pressing a specific button or buttons, so make sure if its one of those. also try using usrcheat.dat since other formats can cause problems on r4

16. exangel

United States
    if you paste the code into a new code entry (or examine its existing entry) in R4CCE it should highlight to the bottom of the code area which button/buttons is required for code activation.
    Make sure if an enabling code is required for your cheats, you add that to the .cht file as well.
    Make sure when you select the cheats in the menu before loading the rom that you press the correct button to save your cheat settings.
    If you're sure you've done all of that correctly, make sure there is no entry in your usrcheat.dat for the game that you're trying to use a .cht file with.

Hope that is helpful..

Edit/Note: The hash # sign makes a code default to off, if your cheat settings are saving incorrectly you should use the @ sign in front of the cheat's name to default the codes to on.

17. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    ok i understand that but any time i try to use any cheat through the .cht file they dont work in game but show up in the R4 cheat menu. The reason i made this thread is because the usrcheat.dat is not working. Any help?

18. JDex
    OP

Newcomer JDex Member

United States
    Ok well for pokemon pearl there are no Master codes so they should work. i took out the usrcheat.dat file and its still not working. another question is the X or the 0 mean it is activated.

19. exangel

United States
    I have not used the kernel for your particular R4, so I don't know. For Wood/Acekard the icon signifying when a code is selected or not depends on the theme you have installed. I don't think that can actually be set with traditional R4 themes. I would think that X means selected and O means off, but O also means a closed circuit symbolically and could mean on, I wish I could actually help and answer your question.

You're not supposed to trash the usrcheat.dat entirely, I don't know if its complete removal actually has any effect, but I only meant for you to remove the cheat folder in the usrcheat.dat (using R4CCE) for the game you're using a .cht file with.
    If you have set up your cheat file with the @ sign in front of the name of each code you want enabled by default, it will show up as on, all you need to do is make sure that you start the game with cheats enabled setting (i.e. you wouldn't actually have to pick out anything manually, just make sure cheats enabled when loading ROM).