Zulithe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What a gamble... but I think it'll pay off. Revolution indeed...

Can't wait to try it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd preferred a glove controller. Ok Nintendo zealot here, oh its a remote control, erm ok like the pointy thing for FPS that'll be cool, but I hope it can be switched off for some games.

Xanthious

Scratch & Sniff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Before everyone gets all excited about this new way of controlling video games I suggest we all take a big collective time out and reflect on the fact that new ways of controlling games is nothing new to Nintendo. Heck they have been shoving new controllers down our throat since the days of NES. The ball is in Nintendo's court at this point. They have a new innovative idea and they can do what they wish with it. IF they support it and put out games that take advantage of it then it could well be a success. However that hasnt been the case in the past. Lets look back at what kind of support similar innovative ideas that Nintendo has offered up have gone.

R.O.B.
How can we forget the robot that you controlled by playing a game. This new innovation actually would stack up blocks and move and . . . umm well it would move and stack blocks. This thing was doomed to failure from the get go and had all of two games that actually utilized it (Gyromite & Stackup).

The Power Pad
Thats right, it was a floor mat that you controlled by stepping on different places on the mat. Needless to say this was an amazing failure and there were all of seven games released (Athletic World, Dance Aerobics, Short Order/Eggsplode, Stadium Events, Street Cop, Super Team Games, World Class Track Meet). The sad part about this is that a decade and a half later games that use a similair technology (DDR) are amazingly popular. Nintendo had what could of been a major success there and didnt have a clue what to do with it.

The Power Glove
Here we have a controller that does away with the standard joypad and lets you control games based on how you move your hand. . . sound familiar kids? While you could use this for any NES game it was awkward and only one game (Super Glove Ball) was ever released to take advantage of its unique features. Nintendo even went as far as to pimp this silly thing in what may of been one of the worst movies ever put to recorded media (The Wizard) While it was a failure for a multitude of reasons it was also way ahead of its time.

Virtual Boy
So the idea was to have a semi-3D expierience that you had to shove your face into this goggle like contraption and play inexcusibly bad games. Or as Nintendo called it "A 3-D game for a 3-D world". Im talking about none other than the embarassment that is the Virtual Boy. In the spring/summer of 95 Nintendo was making wild claims that this would revolutionize the way games were played. Sadly this wasnt the case. By March of 96 the last game had been released and Nintendo had washed thier hands out of what turned out to be a collosial failure. .

I could list a few more examples but its getting late and I think my point has been made. In closing I DO NOT want Nintendo to fail. However, as history has shown they have always had wild ideas that were going to "change the way we play video games" and without exception they dont live up to the hype that is created about them and suffer due to lack of support. Hopefully the Revolution will be different and this time they will finally get it right. Time will tell though until then though I wont be holding my breath.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Here is a mock-up I made of the 'controller shell' attachment to allow you to play multi-platform games. Probably needs a few more buttons or something, but you get the general idea. The Rev controller would click into it horizontally.

Revcontroller-shell.jpg

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Here is a mock-up I made of the 'controller shell' attachment to allow you to play multi-platform games. Probably needs a few more buttons or something, but you get the general idea. The Rev controller would click into it horizontally.

Revcontroller-shell.jpg

IGN made a mock-up image as well...

understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

SoulCaster

Trophies
Website
club.ign.com
XP
Country
Canada
Before everyone gets all excited about this new way of controlling video games I suggest we all take a big collective time out and reflect on the fact that new ways of controlling games is nothing new to Nintendo. Heck they have been shoving new controllers down our throat since the days of NES. The ball is in Nintendo's court at this point. They have a new innovative idea and they can do what they wish with it. IF they support it and put out games that take advantage of it then it could well be a success. However that hasnt been the case in the past. Lets look back at what kind of support similar innovative ideas that Nintendo has offered up have gone.

R.O.B.
How can we forget the robot that you controlled by playing a game. This new innovation actually would stack up blocks and move and . . . umm well it would move and stack blocks. This thing was doomed to failure from the get go and had all of two games that actually utilized it (Gyromite & Stackup).

The Power Pad
Thats right, it was a floor mat that you controlled by stepping on different places on the mat. Needless to say this was an amazing failure and there were all of seven games released (Athletic World, Dance Aerobics, Short Order/Eggsplode, Stadium Events, Street Cop, Super Team Games, World Class Track Meet). The sad part about this is that a decade and a half later games that use a similair technology (DDR) are amazingly popular. Nintendo had what could of been a major success there and didnt have a clue what to do with it.

The Power Glove
Here we have a controller that does away with the standard joypad and lets you control games based on how you move your hand. . . sound familiar kids? While you could use this for any NES game it was awkward and only one game (Super Glove Ball) was ever released to take advantage of its unique features. Nintendo even went as far as to pimp this silly thing in what may of been one of the worst movies ever put to recorded media (The Wizard) While it was a failure for a multitude of reasons it was also way ahead of its time.

Virtual Boy
So the idea was to have a semi-3D expierience that you had to shove your face into this goggle like contraption and play inexcusibly bad games. Or as Nintendo called it "A 3-D game for a 3-D world". Im talking about none other than the embarassment that is the Virtual Boy. In the spring/summer of 95 Nintendo was making wild claims that this would revolutionize the way games were played. Sadly this wasnt the case. By March of 96 the last game had been released and Nintendo had washed thier hands out of what turned out to be a collosial failure. .

I could list a few more examples but its getting late and I think my point has been made. In closing I DO NOT want Nintendo to fail. However, as history has shown they have always had wild ideas that were going to "change the way we play video games" and without exception they dont live up to the hype that is created about them and suffer due to lack of support. Hopefully the Revolution will be different and this time they will finally get it right. Time will tell though until then though I wont be holding my breath.

The only flaw I see in this is, none of those are actual systems/main controllers for the NES. The only reason Virtual boy failed was because of the semi-3D world and the lack of colors (all red...seriously what were they thinking...games were normally giving people headaches and hurting the eyes...), not because of the controller (if I'm wrong about this then please correct me, but I doubt it
tongue.gif
). R.O.B., Power Pad and Power Gloves were all optional components and were never need to enjoy playing games on the NES.

Since this "remote" is actually a part of Revolution (being a main controller) I doubt Nintendo is even thinking a bout pulling support on the Revolution like they did with the Virtual Boy system if things go wrong (they haven't done it for a long time!!!). Plus, with most of the big name third-party developers pledging to support Nintendo's Revolution console (I just have this feeling they'll backstab Nintendo, but...) I see it lasting till the next Gen-wars (which should be aroudn 2011, maybe 2012) because like I said before, since the Virtual Boy all Nintendo's systems and most peripherals have been supported til their time.

Anyway, I saw that mock-up too Ace Gunman and think it look good...kinda looks bulky, but I hope the real deal will look something like that. I just really hope Nintendo advertises that the controller shell or the NGC controllers can be used if developers don't feel like rewritting a game for Revolution (though I hope there will be a lot of games that take FULL advantage of Revolution's "remote").

[T.O.S.C.]

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
being a keyboard/mouse and a SNES controller gamer i say ARGH to anything that tries to "revolutionize" my inputs... i gave up trying to use the DS touch screen thank god advance wars DS doesnt require it... i'll be the first in line to buy a revo but please, let there be a standard pad at launch, i mean i cant stand the GC controller but heck i'll take that and play with the remote eventually...

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
the mockup thats a clone of a wavebird is a really good design and Nintendo should be kicked in the ball sack if it dont look exactly like that.

I agree. Although I don't think Nintendo as a company has a ball sack, but their male imployees should definitely get a swift kick in the nuts if they don't use something similar.
laugh.gif
Athough, i'd like it to be slightly less bulky if possible.

I for one happen to LOVE the GameCube controller. It's shape feels like it was made for my hands (Unlike the PS2 remote which feels cosmetic, and out of place). While button mashing on a PS2 controller i'm likely to get blisters, however that never happen when button mashing a GameCube controller. Although, the Z button is a bit out of place on the GC controller, I love the rest though.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The GC controller is great but I percsonaly woudlent put it above the DualShock. I would make 2 changes to the DualShock to improve it but I find it to the the best designed controller in history. Right now I dont play much PlayStation anymore but I still use the controller for emulators (you cant match it on that) and as a controller for my HTPC with JoyToKey (keyboard & mouse emulator for gamepads. Also good for useing gamepads on games that dont support them)

I would give it 8 point sockets for the analog sticks (round sockets suck) and add 4 more buttons. The 4 buttons would be alot like the xbox black and white buttons in being smaller then the normal buttons. 2 would be above and right of the Triangle and Circle buttons giving it a 6 button layout kinda like the Genesis and the other two would be above and left of the D pad.

I doubt the PS3 version of the thing will be very good.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the Revolution Controller is just great...but I hope it's not too expensive, I don't want to pay 40$ for the freehand-style controller, 40$ for the analogstick-extension and 40$ for the classic-style extension

mcsquared

Trophies
XP
Country
i said that in another post, i always get 4 controllers for my consoles and i cant see even 3rd party offerings being cheap for this machine, looks like i'll keep hold of my 4 wavebirds for now
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1