Hacking Qwad: A crossplatform WAD management tool

ssorgatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, i've developed a little GUI app using Wii.py.

It's currently able to pack/unpack WADs, download and pack WADs from NUS and decrypting their contents.

It lacks A LOT of features of Wii.py, which will be implemented on future versions (WAD editing, and such).

It also has i18n support, it currently supports english, spanish and catalan. If you would like to translate it into your language, tell, it's very easy to do
wink.gif

ATM it has two known bugs:
*Title names amb some statusbar messages don't get translated (from english, so unless you are using it with spanish or catlan locale, you won't notice it)
*Title dictionary is incomplete. Additionally, there may be titles in the combobox which aren't actually in the NUS. If you find one of these, please, tell me
wink.gif

Downloads: http://code.google.com/p/qwad/

It has been tested on Debian testing and Windows XP SP3, but it should work on any platform supported by PyQt4 and PyCrypto.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I like the direction this app is going.
smile.gif
I'd kill for a Mac-ready version, but I'm quite used to virtualizing Windows 7 for Wii-related stuff.

The NUS dictionary could use a bit more organizing though... It's kind of all over the place, you know? IOS11's near the top, while IOS4's near the bottom...
wacko.gif

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you forgot to mention you need http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Signer
your make file complains its not there and you dont provide it in svn even though its looking for the file in the root of your project?

edit: got everything solved had to do a couple extra steps but builds fine in vista when you get all the dependencies

saw your post over at http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?26,25717

hope you get
Known issues:On windows WADs can't be unpacked solved.

luck_gh0st

Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded the deb package and it seems to be working In Mint 7 (Gloria)
I like the NUS I could never seem to run the windows version through wine ( probably because .net framework isn't really supported)

anyway thanks!

ssorgatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
emupaul said:
you forgot to mention you need http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Signer
your make file complains its not there and you dont provide it in svn even though its looking for the file in the root of your project?

edit: got everything solved had to do a couple extra steps but builds fine in vista when you get all the dependencies

saw your post over at http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?26,25717

hope you get
Known issues:On windows WADs can't be unpacked solved.

oh sorry, those are legacy files i'll have to delete.

In previous versions it was based on wii signer, but qwad no more uses it, it uses wii.py instead.

There's no makefile, it's python, just run "python Qwad.pyw" and it will run (or complain about missing modules if you lack PyQt4, PyCrypto or PIL)

The windows issue was solved in version 0.1.1, but that version was not actually ready for non-spanish speakers
smile.gif

Ah, the mistake in the projoct home page is now fixed
wink.gif
thank you.

QUOTE(Dialexio @ Jul 26 2009, 07:44 PM) I like the direction this app is going.
smile.gif
I'd kill for a Mac-ready version, but I'm quite used to virtualizing Windows 7 for Wii-related stuff.

The NUS dictionary could use a bit more organizing though... It's kind of all over the place, you know? IOS11's near the top, while IOS4's near the bottom...
wacko.gif

For using it in mac, you just have to install its dependencies, and then run it with "python Qwad.pyw".

If you like you could help me on making a mac-ready version (it's easy to do, but you need a mac, and i haven't one).

The same applies to everybody who would like to make another distro package, like rpms or whatever.

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah i was silly earlier and was trying to run qmake on the pro files and moc your ui files, not thinking, but opened interpreter and it ran right away lol

ssorgatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
I like the direction this app is going.
smile.gif

wacko.gif

Fixed for next version.

Everyone votes channel title id is also wrong, and it's fixed for next version.

Omega Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, my NUStool and wadpacker already did what this tool does. And it was there for a while too. Lastly, does the Wii.py team get no credits?

ssorgatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Omega Knight said:
Uhm, my NUStool and wadpacker already did what this tool does. And it was there for a while too. Lastly, does the Wii.py team get no credits?

There's a link to Wii.py github page on the project home page.

Also, if you read Help>about Qwad > Thanks:

"Thanks to Wii.py team: Xuzz, SquidMan, megazig, TheLemonMan, |Omega, and Matt_P. Qwad is only a frontend for their unbelievably awesome framework."

If that's "no credits", tell me what else to put there. I could put it on the project's home page, if it would please you.

I'm not reinventing the wheel. I do this for fun and in order to learn, I personally don't like wxWidgets and there were no Qt4-based GUI apps for Wii.py, so there's still people who might like my app
rolleyes.gif

In addition, it's 2 tools (futurely more) in one, which I personally find more convenient than having different tools for each thing (that's my personal point of view, there's for sure people who don't share it with me, and that's ok).

So instead of complaining, I decided to write it.

Mmm, maybe this post sounds a bit harsh, but that's not my intention. It's only that here it's late and i'm not very inspired. So sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, I didn't intend it.

PS: I said on IRC I was going to do this, and I won't get tired of saying how awesome Wii.py is
smile.gif
. Also, feel free to make any suggestions if you test Qwad.

ssorgatem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
megazig said:
indeed, how can you take credit for slapping a GUI on others' work?

Well, i'm taking credit just for the GUI. I made the GUI, I think I can take credit for it, regardless of the backend. And I've said it uses Wii.py and in the about page on Qwad you can find the Wii.py team member's names, and I haven't said anywhere I've done wii.py or i'm taking credit for wii.py.

In the project page you can see a link sayen "Qwad uses Wii.py", pinting to Wii.py's github page. Wii.py is also on it's labels. I don't think i've being pretending to take credit for your work, but if anything would make you feel more comfortable about it, just tell me.

Using Wii.py is the same as using PyQt4, PyCrypto, PIL, wxWidgets, or any other python modules.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to reply as you're taking care of this, but technically, using Qwad is like using PyQt4 or wxWidgets, since Wii.py does the work and you're gluing it together with a GUI.
tongue.gif

thank you for working to make the original Wii.py known though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents