4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just ordered a brand new EZ III 1GBIT from jandaman, and I was hoping for some information I might need to use it. I've been reading FASTs FAQ on Sosuke forums, and it has answered a lot, but I think I need some more info
tongue.gif

1. EZ Manager is just like the EZ4 client right (I've had some experience using this for my 3in1)? So it is just about selecting the ROM and then putting in various options, and it will automatically patch the ROM for saving and stuff? Are there any situations when I may need to use other patches or GBATA separately?

2. I really need a better explanation to how the memory on the EZ III works. From what I see, there is 256mbit NOR, 128mbit PSRAM and 1gbit NAND. The NOR and PSRAM are used by copying files across from the NAND, correct? So I don't need to worry about anything but using the 1GBit NAND?

3. Do EZ4 GBA skins work on the EZ3? I tried comparing the files from some, and it seems they are the same and stuff, so it should right?

4. I have some saves generated by Rudolph's 3in1 Tool. How do I import these saves to use on the EZIII?

5. How reliable is the real time save? I read on the FAQ that it was a bit buggy and stuff, but time has passed since then, so it would have gotten better, no?

6. All I need to start using my EZ III are the EZPDA and EZ Manager?

7. Does anything special, in regards with saves or otherwise, need to be done when using emulator gba files (eg. SNESadvance, PocketNES)?

8. I don't need any kernel or stuff on the EZ III like currently slot 1 cards do right? I haven't seen any files about it. Is the only function of burning a new loader_GBA.bin file for skins? If I make a loader_GBA.bin file using EZPDA, and then burn it through the newest EZManager, will the loader will be of the most recent version?

Thanks to all who help!
biggrin.gif

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered a brand new EZ III 1GBIT from jandaman, and I was hoping for some information I might need to use it. I've been reading FASTs FAQ on Sosuke forums, and it has answered a lot, but I think I need some more info
tongue.gif

1. EZ Manager is just like the EZ4 client right (I've had some experience using this for my 3in1)? So it is just about selecting the ROM and then putting in various options, and it will automatically patch the ROM for saving and stuff? Are there any situations when I may need to use other patches or GBATA separately?
the only one needing an external patch like GBATA - off the top of my head is F-Zero Climax (J)
almost every game works with the defaul settings.

2. I really need a better explanation to how the memory on the EZ III works. From what I see, there is 256mbit NOR, 128mbit PSRAM and 1gbit NAND. The NOR and PSRAM are used by copying files across from the NAND, correct? So I don't need to worry about anything but using the 1GBit NAND?
you can fill both the NOR and the NAND.
the 128Mb PSRAM section is used to copy from NAND - hence why you can only play games larger than 128Mb from NOR.
so games >128Mb must to go in NOR, the rest can be loaded from NAND. which is nice cause that means you really have 1Gb+256Mb of space.

3. Do EZ4 GBA skins work on the EZ3? I tried comparing the files from some, and it seems they are the same and stuff, so it should right?
yes and no, only the EZ4 Skins that come with GBA loader skins can be used to skin an EZ3 Loader. many do not.

4. I have some saves generated by Rudolph's 3in1 Tool. How do I import these saves to use on the EZIII?
not sure, about that one. EZ3 uses a batter format .sav - and all you need to do is name it the same as the ROM.
maybe someone can tell you different.

5. How reliable is the real time save? I read on the FAQ that it was a bit buggy and stuff, but time has passed since then, so it would have gotten better, no?
still not reliable - and i recommend not using it, for maximum compatibility

6. All I need to start using my EZ III are the EZPDA and EZ Manager?
sure

7. Does anything special, in regards with saves or otherwise, need to be done when using emulator gba files (eg. SNESadvance, PocketNES)?
for me they work just like any other gba rom.

8. I don't need any kernel or stuff on the EZ III like currently slot 1 cards do right? I haven't seen any files about it. Is the only function of burning a new loader_GBA.bin file for skins? If I make a loader_GBA.bin file using EZPDA, and then burn it through the newest EZManager, will the loader will be of the most recent version?
i dunno *shrugs* i'll let someone else dig around.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First I would consider an EZ4 or one of the more modern carts for price (m3/g6) but that is just me.

Also I really should update that FAQ.

1. Yeah. I think there was an isometric view strategy game, fairly late release in the life of the GBA (around the time scurge was released) that also called for GBA. RTC aside I believe some of the patches (rotation and solar) were integrated with the patching DLL (they are there in the EZ2 and by extension 4 one).

2. Already taken but if you get how an EZ4 works the microSD is just a replacement for the NAND.

3. Already done, have a look at some of the EZ4 tools as well as they can also skin the GBA loader.

4. Not sure if anyone has done this. The saves have been made to work in VBA though.

5. Pausing helps but if coming from an emulator I would no rely on it.

6. EZPDA comes with EZManager so yeah.

7. You might want to run them through the EZ4 GBA homebrew patcher first and there is a sticky but they should just work like everything else.

8. Nope, loader_GBA.bin (or just loader.bin on the pre DS stuff (2.08 and lower) is all that is needed) and yes it will be the most current assuming you upated the EZSkinner/EZ3 skin maker.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm. Too late to get the EZ4
tongue.gif
I don't really need that much space, and I can't find/there's no point in getting a small memory card.

Thanks for the replies guys.

1. So what dexmix said, I can use both the 256 MB on the NOR and the 1GBIT on the NAND? What if I want to play more than 1 256 MB game (not likely, but what if). Is it possible to just load 2 128 MB games (or otherwise) onto the NOR so that they run instantly?

2. The Rudolph's Tool saves are 128 kB each, so is that the same as on the EZIII? I'm hoping it is, both cards are made by EZ
tongue.gif

3. If Real Time Save isn't reliable, then is soft reset? I really don't find a need to RTS in most games, but it may come in handy. I don't use emulators so the only experience I've had with real time saving is on the M3 Lite (wasn't a good one).

Thanks. This is all the info I should need
smile.gif

wolf9545

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm new to this scene and want to get either an EZ-Flash 3 or 4 to use on my GBA micro and the DS lite. I just want to play GBA games, no DS, but now I'm not to sure which cart I should get. Can someone give me a comparison of the two?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm hijacking my thread! Nevermind I'll try answer to what I know.

The EZ3 uses internal memory, while the EZ4 uses microSD. I'm guessing the internal NAND is faster when copying games to PSRAM/NOR, but I wouldn't know since I haven't tried
tongue.gif

The EZ3 supports Real Time Save (from the posts above - it is not recommended), ROM compression and Real Time Clock, all of which are not present on the EZ4.

The EZ4 is much cheaper. That's all the differences I know.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. The ability to write games over 128Mbit to the NOR was added in quite some time ago. I honestly can not recall about 2 games although it should be fine.

2. I believe the saves are the actual save sizes: i.e. a 512K Flash save takes the full 64 Kilobytes while small eeprom.....

3. Save states work OK (and if you find a game works with one it should work without issue). Soft reset is pretty good as well, of course there are third party sleep (Dwedit made one recently) and soft reset stuff (GBATA and BOMA) as well.

@wolf9545 what 4saken said (although speed is not an issue for the EZ4, I do not know if anyone has timed it for both either)

The EZ4 uses memory cards (miniSD or newer models (all DS lite sized as standard) use microSD: far bigger, far cheaper and the ability to throw one away when it breaks is nice).

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for answering
smile.gif

I'm guessing the built-in soft reset would be better since it was made officially? Dwedit's sleep mode was a patch right? I think I saw that a while ago.

EDIT: So games can be burned onto the NOR from the EZManager? And these games will load instantly?

If I select a game on NAND that is over 128 mbit, it will overwrite whatever I put on the NOR previously right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dwedits app:
http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?id=306
I forgot this one but inbuilt soft reset works fairly good but it is dependent (like save states) on a database called the xcode database. It is only missing the last few hundred roms (which unfortunately includes a few decent ones) and myself and a few others have tried (rather half heartedly I must say) to reverse engineer it without success.
GBATA/BOMA should work regardless.

As for overwrite it will ask you beforehand.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for all the help. I think I'll just manually patch each ROM for soft reset and sleep mode then. Having a ROM patched with both soft reset (I'll be using GBATA), the EZManager and dwedit's sleep mode shouldn't case problems right?
tongue.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm. I was reading this manual by some guy on the sosuke forums, and it said something about the EZ Client. Do I need to use this? What advantages does it have? I thought it was for like dumping saves/ROMs or something

Also, this guy said:

I also use an EZIV with my micro. I had the EZIII, but I find the miniSD card easier to work with (I also hated the 8+3 naming of files on the EZIII...)

What is he referring to?
tongue.gif
I probably won't mind, but I was wondering what it was and how to rename them, etc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EZClient is only needed for ripping saves/roms from games.

Files on the EZ3 have old MSDos/windows 8.3 style naming unlike most newer carts.

wolf9545

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit
frown.gif

Does this mean all the names will be 8characters long or something - and it can't be helped?

Not too bad I guess ._.

I thought I remember reading someplace that what the EZ3 does when you transfer a game to the cart is read the header and rename it for you. I don't know if that is exactly what it does because I just ordered a EZ3 but when I get it I will let you know. Unless it was saying that it doesn't matter what you name it because when you are in the game chooser on a GBA the list reads the header of the GBA game and not what you call it.?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=24569
Go there and go under the "performance" section.
"Another thing to keep in mind is that you can only have a maximum of eight characters for the file name of a rom. Don't fret though, you don't need to go out and rename all your roms, when you add a rom using the EZ-Manager it uses the header of the rom as it's file name which will automatically shorten if it is too long."

So we don't have to worry unless I'm miss understanding that the program will do a auto rename for us.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read a bit more on it. The program does the auto-renaming for you based on the header of the ROM, but it can then be renamed later.

put_the_lotion_i

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, you have to rename the ROM by changing the text of the ROM header via a hex editor, prior to flashing it to the cart. Not that complicated, but still...the word archaic springs to mind. And tedious.

The eight character limitation is more of a problem in my opinion. Contrary to what the old TV show claimed, eight is most definitely not enough.

*cue lame pun sound effect

Of course, you don't have to rename ROMS, it will use the header info, but you end up with names that aren't very helpful, and in the case of a series of games, like Super Mario for instance, you'll have to try to remember if "smario1b" is Super Mario World or Mario Bros. 3... Things of that sort. When you rename with the hex editor, you can at least try to differentiate the names and make them somewhat meaningful. Though with only 8 characters, you'll still be hard pressed to adequately name quite a few.

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like 4saken said, you can burn the rom, and then rename it after its burnt.

the only time hex editing the name is necessary is when the name in the rom header is incompatible with the FAT file system. for instance 'justice league:flash' you have to hex edit out the ':'

put_the_lotion_i

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That never worked for me, but then I'm pretty sure mine is borked (unrelated issues). It's going back in a few days, maybe I'll get a good one the next go round.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: