quick question about DSi XL and flash cart

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by esoterica, May 13, 2013.

1. esoterica
    OP

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Atlanta
    Hello all. I am sure my question has been asked many times before and I know I can search, but thought it'd be easier to get a direct answer. I've had a DS Lite in the past and have used the R4 as well as the Acecard but ended up giving it to my nephew a few years back. Now, I am interested in picking up another DS just to kill time at work. I know 3DS games cannot be emulated, so I figure all I really need is a DSi XL for the largest screen size and save money right? Or is there any advantage of using the 3DS? Secondly... I guess the DSTwo is the best flash cart available right now? I don't mind spending the little bit of extra money, but do I really need all the features or does it save a lot of trouble with not having to patch and bypasses and whatnot? Thanks all.

2. TackyPie

TackyPie GBAtemp Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    United States
    If you wanna play gba game get the dstwo if you are not focused on gba games get the r4i gold 3ds from www.r4ids.cn

Alisa Tresierra likes this.
  3. esoterica
    OP

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2008
    United States
    Atlanta
    How good is the SNES emulator on it? Buggy or works pretty well?

4. zarabow
    This message by zarabow has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    May 14, 2013
  5. babyface
    This message by babyface has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 4, 2013.
    May 14, 2013
  6. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Grab the dstwo if your going for a dsi+

7. ryanlaw
    This message by ryanlaw has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 19, 2013.
    May 14, 2013
  8. Whipple

Whipple GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2009
    United States
    Got hold of a 3DS and other than the fact that it can play the newer games I see no real advantage to it over the DSi series.
    Yes, it has some nice technical features but overall I would say the DSi or DSL to be a better choice if you are going to be playing DS games.

The DSTWO is an awesome card. However it is not without some drawbacks.
    It does draw more current than other flashcarts (due to its independent CPU) and it operates independently of the Nintendo device rendering the standby mode inoperative.
    That said, it is a lot more flexible and can do a LOT more than other available flashcarts. If you are interested in emulation, it is the clear choice.

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    The DSTwo's emulation is the best you'll get on any DS model.

But it's still not perfect, because the DS-mode is cheap hardware from 2004. It's not the best choice for emulation.