Quick Question about backups.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheTepig, Feb 13, 2017.

1. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Hello! Thanks for reading this, I promise to make it quick. So, my friend let my borrow his Majoras Mask 3d game, and using decrypt9 I made a backup of the game, now my question is, is this copy that was backed up legit with decrypt9 a real copy of the game? I don't want to pirate the game, and just made a backup of his game. Also, will this game run with Reinand on my New 3d xl? (Both are NTSC)

Thanks!
    Tepig.

2. W4T4R1

W4T4R1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    The CIA you generated is the same as a CIA you can find around Internet. It isn't a "legit CIA" since it has to be generated from a game that come preinstalled onto the console, but you can obviously install it and play it since you have ReiNAND

3. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Alright... I just want it for a private dump I don't want to get wrapped in piracy or anything... I decided to see if it would install, and it did. But would this be illegal?

Thanks!
    Tepig.

4. W4T4R1

W4T4R1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    Well, since the game is not yours, i guess it could be considered piracy; also because even though you borrowed from your friend, the game itself remains property of Nintendo.
    Not entirely sure, though, you better wait fore someone more expert than me in these things

5. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Alright, I shall wait.

6. Manlydonut

Manlydonut Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    To my knowledge, it comes down to whether or not you own the game. Backups of games you own in themselves are in a bit of a grey area, but since you haven't purchased the game in any form, I believe it would be considered piracy.

7. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    This is absolutely an illegal copy. You copied it from a cart you do not own. It's no different than downloading it from freeshop legally speaking. In short while highly unlikely you'd be caught for it since it was obtained from an offline source it is illegal to use.