Hardware quick question about a power supply

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The power supply to my desktop died last week ( I already replaced it ).
I did notice one thing about the power supply though and it was this .
If I flip the power supply over to 230v it will turn on , but when I flip it back to 115v I get nothing.
SO , the question is , is this thing able to be fixed ? the one 115v switch ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it was a supply used for a proper piece of diagnostics equipment or an audio amp or something of that nature then I probably would be covered basic power supply design in the next few paragraphs (if you are curious then http://www.eevblog.com/2010/05/29/e...lators-and-switch-mode-power-supply-tutorial/ covers it well). For something as cheap and readily available as a PC power supply I would not bother if it is this sort of thing.

From what you say it sounds like something in the 110 side of things burned out. It could be something as basic as the switch or a bit of trace and it could be something very annoying to fix like some of the windings in the transformer, or it could be something else entirely.

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was a supply used for a proper piece of diagnostics equipment or an audio amp or something of that nature then I probably would be covered basic power supply design in the next few paragraphs (if you are curious then http://www.eevblog.com/2010/05/29/e...lators-and-switch-mode-power-supply-tutorial/ covers it well). For something as cheap and readily available as a PC power supply I would not bother if it is this sort of thing.

From what you say it sounds like something in the 110 side of things burned out. It could be something as basic as the switch or a bit of trace and it could be something very annoying to fix like some of the windings in the transformer, or it could be something else entirely.
Thanks for the info .
I suppose I should just toss , I was hoping I could use it for something else or maybe fix it and store it as a back up . But after watching about half that video , I probably shouldn't even try . Wouldn't want to shock myself on one of the capacitors or something lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That video was more the theory behind it, if you understood it all then it would be enough but it would be overkill for just fixing one. If the dead one was a really nice high efficiency thing and the new one was a cheapy thing to get it running again then it might be worth looking more at things but it is going to take some fiddling to figure things out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s