• Replies 3,813
  • Likes 6

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 newbie questions:

1. What do "Forwarders" do and do I need them/want them?

2. I originally ran ModMii to work with FAT32 because my thumb drive is FAT32. But, since it looks like I could rip all my games and just run them off my 2TB hdd, I think that would be more convenient, but the HDD is NTFS.

Do I need to start the entire ModMii process over to change FAT32 to NTFS? Or can that setting simply be changed somewhere within the HBC?

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
The_Dark_Knight said:
2 newbie questions:

1. What do "Forwarders" do and do I need them/want them?
You don't *need* them, but they're convenient. the USB forwarder is a channel that launches a homebrew app. Without it you would have to load homebrew channel first, then launch the app.

QUOTE(The_Dark_Knight @ Jun 21 2011, 08:06 PM) 2. I originally ran ModMii to work with FAT32 because my thumb drive is FAT32. But, since it looks like I could rip all my games and just run them off my 2TB hdd, I think that would be more convenient, but the HDD is NTFS.

Do I need to start the entire ModMii process over to change FAT32 to NTFS? Or can that setting simply be changed somewhere within the HBC?
No, you don't. You can change that setting in your usb loader app. Not sure how other usb loaders do it, but cfg loader will give an error when starting it (because it can't find the old FAT paritition) then ask you what partition to choose. Then you simply select the NTFS partition.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Spongeroberto said:
The_Dark_Knight said:
2. I originally ran ModMii to work with FAT32 because my thumb drive is FAT32. But, since it looks like I could rip all my games and just run them off my 2TB hdd, I think that would be more convenient, but the HDD is NTFS.

No, you don't. You can change that setting in your usb loader app. Not sure how other usb loaders do it, but cfg loader will give an error when starting it (because it can't find the old FAT paritition) then ask you what partition to choose. Then you simply select the NTFS partition.

He will also have to copy and paste the following (on a new line, very important!) in SD:\usb-loader\config.txt
CODE
ntfs_write = 1
I don't know why it's disabled by default since it just adds an unnecessary hoop to jump through, but whatever.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the great info guys!

looks like the CFG page has 2 .dol files. cfg69.dol & cfg69-222.dol

which one should I "rename ... to boot.dol and replace sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol with the renamed file." ?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
thanks for all the great info guys!

looks like the CFG page has 2 .dol files. cfg69.dol & cfg69-222.dol

which one should I "rename ... to boot.dol and replace sd:/apps/USBLoader/boot.dol with the renamed file." ?
I told you to check if you had Cfg already. You do have it, so you don't need to replace anything. Load it from the HBC like I asked. >.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when I load up the HBC (with the SD card inserted) I only get the following options:

-Multi-Mod Manager
-IOS236 Installer
-Priiloader
-Simple IOS Patcher
-HackMii_Installer

I can hit HOME to access "Launch BootMii" but that is the extent of my choices here.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
when I load up the HBC (with the SD card inserted) I only get the following options:

-Multi-Mod Manager
-IOS236 Installer
-Priiloader
-Simple IOS Patcher
-HackMii_Installer

I can hit HOME to access "Launch BootMii" but that is the extent of my choices here.
Is Cfg on your flash drive then? You said you had the files already.

If you did put it on your flash drive, press 1 (maybe 2, I don't remember) to pull up a menu that lets you change the source and sorting options. Change it to USB and choose Okay.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: yea, I think I'm just not cut out for this!

can someone tell me how to get my Wii back to it's "virgin" status? (as close as possible anyway)

thanks for your effort, people!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
can someone tell me how to get my Wii back to it's "virgin" status? (as close as possible anyway)
Don't give up. Virginizing could easily land you with a brick, so that isn't smart. Even if you don't want to play backups, there are a lot of benefits to homebrew besides that.

If you are having a lot of trouble understanding USB loading, just follow my instructions here.

I'm staying at home today cause I'm sick, so I'll be on here most of the time. Feel free to ask questions on here or shoot me a PM.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I'll keep at it for a bit. I'm working from home so I gotta disappear for a bit here and there. but I will also be "around" all day.

I'm sorry you're sick but I'm glad you're around!

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: sorry for the double post!! I wish I could delete one =\

now I see what you meant!

I went to HBC and chose the USB drive and CFG loaded up just fine!

I'm going to try switching to the NTFS hdd and I'll let you know if I have any problems!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
EDIT: sorry for the double post!! I wish I could delete one =\

now I see what you meant!

I went to HBC and chose the USB drive and CFG loaded up just fine!

I'm going to try switching to the NTFS hdd and I'll let you know if I have any problems!
With an NTFS HDD, you are going to have to move both "usb-loader" (in the root directory) and "USBLoader" (in the apps folder) to your SD card.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, cool. that all worked.

new (hopefully simpler) questions:

1. The bootmii menu comes up every time I turn on the system with the SD card in. is there a way to turn that off?

2. I was going through my channels and decided I don't need the photo channel anymore. I clicked on Wii > Data > Channels > Photo Channel > Erase and it disappeared from my channels list. However, it is still on the main menu and seems functional.

what gives?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
ok, cool. that all worked.

new (hopefully simpler) questions:

1. The bootmii menu comes up every time I turn on the system with the SD card in. is there a way to turn that off?

2. I was going through my channels and decided I don't need the photo channel anymore. I clicked on Wii > Data > Channels > Photo Channel > Erase and it disappeared from my channels list. However, it is still on the main menu and seems functional.

what gives?
1. That is actually wonderful news for you. It means you have bootmii as boot2, which is the ultimate brick protection. With it installed and a NAND backup (which was part of the guide) you can recover from any brick besides hardware failure. It is only available for Wii's made before mid-2008.

I suggest you use Bootmii Configuration Editor to change bootmii's settings. There are other methods, but this is a very simple and hand program that will allow you to easily change the settings on the Wii, so you don't have to remove the SD card and change them manually with a PC. I suggest you either set BOOTDELAY to 1 (bootmii will appear for 1 second, so you can still access it if you need to) or disable it. You can re-enable it with the editor later if you need to. I prefer the first option, since I can still access bootmii and it only adds 1 second to the bootup time, but it's up to you.

2. You removed the update. The Photo Channel can't be deleted by normal methods. It is also very small, so you don't have a reason to delete it. The changes between the normal version and the update can be found here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/w...to.jsp#photo1.1

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I made the NAND and keys backup like the guide told me and have those saved on my laptop.

I'll look in to the Bootmii Config Editor in a little bit.

The Photo Channel can't be deleted by normal methods on any Wii? Or just on the softmodded ones? Cuz I also don't seem able to remove the Weather or News channels.

Also, it seems that a good deal of my channels require Wiiconnect24 to operate. I turned that off when I began this process and I assume I'll have to leave it off indefinitely, correct?

That would be a shame because I actually really enjoyed the Nintendo Channel and the Everybody Votes channel.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
Yea, I made the NAND and keys backup like the guide told me and have those saved on my laptop.

I'll look in to the Bootmii Config Editor in a little bit.

The Photo Channel can't be deleted by normal methods on any Wii? Or just on the softmodded ones?

Also, it seems that a good deal of my channels require Wiiconnect24 to operate. I turned that off when I began this process and I assume I'll have to leave it off indefinitely, correct?
No Wii can delete the Photo Channel normally. With a softmodded one, you could uninstall it through a wad or with Any Title Deleter (a very dangerous app if you don't know exactly what you are doing), but it is a very small channel, so it's a lot better/safer to leave it there.

You were supposed to turn of WiiConnect24 because of SmashStack, but you can turn it on now if you want. There is no point in turning it on and off whenever you want to use a channel.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
You were supposed to turn of WiiConnect24 because of SmashStack, but you can turn it on now if you want. There is no point in turning it on and off whenever you want to use a channel.

Oh awesome, I assumed WC24 would automatically download Wii system updates.

I turned it back on. Is there anything I have to be aware of to prevent system updates?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
JoostinOnline said:

Oh awesome, I assumed WC24 would automatically download Wii system updates.

I turned it back on. Is there anything I have to be aware of to prevent system updates?
As part of the ModMii process you should have enabled both the update blocking hacks. You can still be prompted for an update if you try an run an outdated channel, but you will get an error if you say yes. Just make sure that the Shopping Channel is up to date (if it's not, you can download and install it from ModMii), so you can download any channel updates and VC/WiiWare from it without problems.

The_Dark_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome.

ok, this is all quite good.

I get a "DSI exception" when I try to download Covers in CFG Loader. Any idea what that's about?

It pauses for 60 seconds and then reloads. I looked up the issue but I only found it for people trying to do other things with CFG.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The_Dark_Knight said:
awesome.

ok, this is all quite good.

I get a "DSI exception" when I try to download Covers in CFG Loader. Any idea what that's about?

It pauses for 60 seconds and then reloads. I looked up the issue but I only found it for people trying to do other things with CFG.
Maybe corrupt files or a messed up configuration. My guess is that it's still set to save covers on the USB instead of the SD card. Open up SD:\usb-loader\config.txt and paste the contents in spoiler tags.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7