QUICK/NEWBIE QUESTIONS here!

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by OSW, May 17, 2009.

1. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Don't use a flash drive, they have too many issues, use a HDD instead.

2. pearlfect

pearlfect Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    I have a 1tb hard drive, but USB Loader GX refuses to recognize it (it'll recognize it when loading up as it doesn't say anything when initialising USB drive, but once i get into the actual menu it'll act like there isn't one), and no matter what I'm installing WiiFlow will say it doesn't have enough space.

3. Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 6, 2018
    United States
    Is your HDD Fat32 or NTFS?

4. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

@ pearlfect:

Post a syscheck report here, helping you with this tutorial ==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

Are your d2x cios installed? Is your hack up to date?

Do not use usb keys, they work badly or not with the Wii, prefer an external hard drive (in FAT 32) for better connectivity.

Last edited by jeannotte, Oct 30, 2018
  5. pearlfect

pearlfect Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    Sorry for the late replies
    My d2x cios is installed, what do you mean by 'hack' being up to date?
    I do have a 1tb hard drive but it's formatted as NTFS and so far I've had no luck getting it to be recognised on my Windows 10 computer
    The problem with installing games is also different now, somehow... rather than getting stuck at certain percentages, as soon as I press install it'll jump to 100% and then just like before, the pop up won't close (even if i press cancel) and the wii menu music will still play in the background and i'll still be able to move the cursor around.
    I did a syscheck for both my Wii and vWii on Wii U, since I'm having the issue on both.
    syschecks :

Wii :
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Wii U vWii
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by pearlfect, Nov 9, 2018
  6. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

For the Wii:

Install the version of the cios d2x v10 beta 52 as-this on these three cios ==> cios 249 base 56 and cios 250 base 57 and cios 251 base 58

For the vwii mode of the Wii u:

Install this version d2x-v10-beta52-vWii ==> cios 249 base 56 and cios 250 base 57

For the external hard drive, format it in fat32 and manage your games with ==>https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-backup-manager-for-windows.188295/

pearlfect likes this.
  7. pearlfect

pearlfect Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    my wii and wii u are finally installing games like normal. :) thank you!

8. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    Do Nintendont and USB Loader GX take exFAT? Hope to get an external hard drive for Wii and Gamecube Games.

9. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    no, they only support fat32.
    i believe usb loader GX does support NTFS but i can be wrong.

10. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Addict

May 3, 2012
    United States
    So, is it even possible to fit Gamecube and Wii games on the same external hard drive?

11. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    yes, there is no problem, i use the same drive with a fat32 partition to both wii and gamecube games
    i use wii backup manager for the wii games, it automatically splits and converts the games into wbfs files

12. HelpTheWretched

HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Hallo! I haven't kept up with the Wii softmod scene for probably 5 years now. I've got USB Loader GX which works just fine and a couple backup launchers for Wii and GameCube games with varying compatibility. Playing backup discs from the Disc Channel was possible at the time but not something I had bothered to set up.

What I'm mainly wondering is, did anybody ever come up with a way to play GameCube ISOs from a USB drive or other memory? That was the last "holy grail" I recall, and there was even some discussion about somehow using the GameCube memory card slots.

13. Kimboslice

Kimboslice Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    Canada
    Nintendont Triforce controller support? Will a GC wheel work in Triforce games?

14. jeannotte

Jun 15, 2016
    France
  15. Snaper

Snaper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hungary
    Kiskunmajsa
    Hi Guys,

Just finished modding my WII, followed this tutorial :

Everything works fine, except 1 thing.
    USBLoader can't see my HDD.
    It is a brand new 120GB Kingston SSD, I formatted it to WBFS with WITGUI on Mac, copied all the games, now USBLoader can't recognise it.
    Could you somebody help me out?

16. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Don't use a drive formatted as WBFS. That's a really old way & format that's not used anymore because of corruption issues. You'll want your drive formatted as FAT32 with 32k clusters. Use a program like EaseUS to make sure other remnants or partitions are merged on the drive, no matter how small. If there are just merge them into the main partition.

See this post from a while ago:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1129#post-6662953

Step 1 talks about those remnants left on the drive as well as a link to the EaseUS software. The second picture in step 9 shows the ASTERIX referred to in step 1. I've come across all kinds of stuff on a drive just after formatting that still gets left behind and this can interfere with the loader seeing it if it's not merged with only one partition present. Merge anything weird as well as Unallocated space to help keep you trouble free.

Last edited by ca032769, Jan 24, 2019
  17. Snaper

Snaper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hungary
    Kiskunmajsa
    Formatted the drive to FAT32, USBLoader now sees the drive, but can't see he game.
    I moved with WITGUI only 1 game.
    It shows that the space is used for something just don't show up the game...

18. Snaper

Snaper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hungary
    Kiskunmajsa
    Ok, here is the drive, looks good, yet, USBLoader don't recognise the game :

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 21.29.55.

19. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Do you have it in the folder WBFS?? Should look like WBFS/Super Mario Brothers...

All games go into the WBFS folder which is in the root of the drive.

Don't mix this up with the WBFS hard drive format, this is a WBFS folder on your FAT32k 32k cluster hard drive. Tends to get a bit confusing.

20. Snaper

Snaper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2014
    Hungary
    Kiskunmajsa
    Nope, it is on the root.
    Will try this, but weird why WITGUI did not place them there...