Questions Regarding Upgrade to 4.0U

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gamer220, Apr 13, 2009.

Apr 13, 2009
  1. gamer220
    OP

Newcomer gamer220 Advanced Member

Australia
    I am currently getting ready to update to 4.0. I downloaded everything I needed using the Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide (is there another guide thats better) but I haven't run anything yet on my wii. I am currently running on a 3.2U and have the USB Loader and Backup Channels working perfectly.

I have been doing research for a while on updating. But I just get confused bc some people say do this or do that or dont do this it will brick.

The questions I have:

1) I am a little confused because some people on the board are saying its safer to update thru Nintendo's servers than Wanikoko's updater. SO i'm wonder what you would recommend and which one is truly safer?

2) Should I install StartPatch or Preloader? I currently have starfall right now. I have never used preloader before. I just want something that will better protect me from bricks. I do like to install wad files a lot (VC and wiibrew games). Are you able to do both or is that pointless? Which is safer (im assuming startpatch)

3) Do you recommend CIOSCORP? Never used it before. I dont really care about loading backups thru the disc channel. I am fine using the backup launcher channel. Is there any other uses for the CIOSCORP that make you recommend it.

4) Will the backup launcher channel I have work (Gamma 0.2) with the update to 4.0 or do I need to install a new version?

I also want to make sure that I am able to run my bootleg VC and Wiiware games from the new SD menu. People on youtube keep saying you cant. But they are idiots.

Sorry with all the questions. You guys are prolly sick of people like me on this board. I am just a little paranoid of bricking my wii. I appreciate the help.

2. MightyMouse

Member MightyMouse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    personally i've used Wanin's updater twice now without a problem, i trust wanin's code and his work so i'd say use that, you will need to install the latest cios which is rev10 before you update.

and as for preloader over starfall i'd go for preloader any day.

3. gamer220
    OP

Australia
    So what do you think about CIOSCORP? Do you use it or recommend it?

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'd have definitely said cioscorps before just for disc channel loading of backups... but since the USB loader came out, I haven't even touched a DVD that wasn't a movie.

Also, there is no gamma .2, it's .3 [​IMG]

Anyways... If you use Wanin's updater just make sure you have at least 300 blocks of the wii's memory free... I myself just used the nintendo update because there is basically a zero chance of bricking as long as you let it complete. If you do go the nintendo route you MUST have a cIOS installed before hand (which you do if you're using gamma to play backups currently)

Pros to each...

Wanin: Don't need to reinstall any c/IOS (great if you already have cIOScorps installed as you only need to update cIOS60BF then) patches IOS60 to include trucha signing bug right away.

Nintendo: Safest way to update

Negatives:

Wanin: There have been several confirmed bricks from people using it without enough space in their wii's memory

Nintendo method: Have to completely reinstall cIOScorps from scratch if you had it before. Have to manually install a patched IOS60 if you plan on using trucha signed or pirated channels from the SD card menu

Really both methods work and since you don't have cIOScorps installed, the big negative for the nintendo method isn't an issue.

5. gamer220
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the feedback. Just updated. I am having problems with Preloader. It says its not loading the hacks. But i have the hacks.ini in the folder with it. Am I doing something wrong.

Edit: I just realized I didnt have it in the root of the SD card.

Also, is there an updated hack list for the preloader for the NTSC wii. Right now all I have is skip disc updates.

6. Adriench

Newcomer Adriench Newbie

France
    hacks.ini must be in the root of your sd card not in preloader's folder

7. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States