modbrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hello there!

I've modded/hacked a lot of consoles & handhelds by my self so far. But my next project is beyond my skills - Xbox 360 Slim. Since it requires soldering and favors experience i've decided to go to a modding-shop which does this professionally. So now it's up to me to pick a good shop and, here is where you could help me, to recognise if the shop owner/modder and his service is "UP-to-date" ? So i have these three questions:

1. From a point of hardware - i think this chip seems to be the most recent and advanced:

Team Xecuter Coolrunner 4XL - CR4 XL - THE FINAL SOLUTION
http://mrconsoles.com/catalog/team-xecuter-final-solution-p-932.html

(In one shop that im favoring they're using this chip: Xbox360 Ace V3 , is that still a good chip, or will the chip above have better boot times?)

2. From the point of software (that will be installed) - is there something i shouldn't forget to look for?

The copy of the NAND on burned disc aside.

3. From my resarch there seem to be some "configurations" that can be done to the system/chip which will help to get less freezing of the games when playing - is that just a myth/selling point of the modder or are there configs that really help the stability of the system?

I have a PAL console "MFR: 2012-08-05" and the console is brand new - it has never been started before.

That's all so far.
Ty

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell, it requires retrieving the DVD key, which requires a $150+ chip that you'll use once and never again.

modbrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
From what I can tell, it requires retrieving the DVD key, which requires a $150+ chip that you'll use once and never again.
HEy Mikemk, thanks for your answer. But i'm kinda confused - i guess you are refering to one of the modchips (?) .. if so, i can't decipher if it's good or bad (or which one is the better one)?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, both chips require the encryption key of your disk drive. You need another chip to dump that, and it's no longer made, meaning it's very expensive.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't remember what it's called, but not being able to get ahold of one is the reason I've done nothing to my 360 I got on black friday.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the chip I was taking about, I'll look it up and see what it does

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for telling me about that, all the guides I could find used CK3 or something along those lines.

modbrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
hey guys, can you please do this in pm. This thread is for topic. I'm looking for answers... Ty.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ace V3 is still a good chip.
Best cheapo chip you can have.

And yes, chip tuning (shortening wires, different timings) do help with boot times and making it stable.

What Mike referred to was drive flashing or DVD key retrieval.
Nothing what you're searching for.

Sammi Husky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace v3 is fine, i've done quite a few installs with em in the past and hadn't had any issues. I am always partial to using Xecuter products right off the bat simply out of loyalty but before i quit i ran out of cr4's and never purchased more. (at the time i looked they were pretty scarce)

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And yes, chip tuning (shortening wires, different timings) do help with boot times and making it stable.

What Mike referred to was drive flashing or DVD key retrieval.
Nothing what you're searching for.
I thought retrieving the key was a prerequisite of installing RGH? Also, would Ace v3 work on Jasper? It's website only mentions Corona

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nope.
You only need to install a chip, boot to XeLL, write down the CPU key, build a hacked NAND and flash it.
Ace works on all consoles (except Xenon, Zephyr and Winchester)

modbrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica

Thank you all for your answers. So to sum thing's up a little:

I'm still in doubt of the modchips - I watched videos of people praising the Coolrunner 4XL chip, plus it seems to be the newest of the bunch. It's a little expencier but not that much - in this case i can shoot for the best of what i can get. I try to do more research on the chips (Ace V3 as well).

What i did find out is, that Coolrunner's Rev. C & Rev. D are so called "clone chips" and seem not to be from original manufactors...

About "chip tuning":

If the modder is unexperienced in tuning - is this something you do on a software side - so i can do research on the internet myself and try to improve gameplay stability? Or is this done on the hardware side, on the chip itself?

@brickmii82
Are you from the FBI ? :P I'm from Europe, around Germany, Austria, Swissland

D

Deleted-355425

I used slim proto v2's and they were awesome and didnt require any tuning.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nothing is software, it's all hardware.
Trimming the reset wire and making sure the cables aren't near any MOSFET or w/e that can cause interference.

Coolrunner Rev C and D are TX products.
No longer in production tho.

For your slim, I advice you a Ace V3.
Depending on what model it is, you might need a 4GB R/W kit (it it has 4GB of internal memory)

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for your answers. So to sum thing's up a little:

I'm still in doubt of the modchips - I watched videos of people praising the Coolrunner 4XL chip, plus it seems to be the newest of the bunch. It's a little expencier but not that much - in this case i can shoot for the best of what i can get. I try to do more research on the chips (Ace V3 as well).

What i did find out is, that Coolrunner's Rev. C & Rev. D are so called "clone chips" and seem not to be from original manufactors...

About "chip tuning":

If the modder is unexperienced in tuning - is this something you do on a software side - so i can do research on the internet myself and try to improve gameplay stability? Or is this done on the hardware side, on the chip itself?

@brickmii82
Are you from the FBI ? :P I'm from Europe, around Germany, Austria, Swissland

Check with @DinohScene . Might be able to do an install for you. Honestly, the ideal chip to use would depend on if you have a Trinity or Corona board. A CR4 will cover any slim, but its 30$ with shipping here, as opposed to an Ace V3 or Rev C for 5-10$. Rev C's work great in Trinity boards. Unfortunately the only available ones are clones from China. They work OK aside from a higher DOA rate, but I'd rather buy an official version. Team Xecuter stopped producing them. I wish they'd do another run. I'd buy at least 100 of them. They're great for Trinity boards and RGH 1.2 for phatties. Some folks on eBay keep a stock of the clones here in the US though, so maybe someone in Europe does too?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Ace had a few bad production runs put out, and they won't glitch Trinity boards. Thats why the Rev C is my personal go-to for them. They've never failed to glitch a board for me. The Ace had me scratching my head until I found out about that bad run.

modbrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hey guys!

After some more research today i ended up having a first chat with an owner of a (mod) shop and he's very experienced. He said they have different chips for different boards and stuff ... and various "chip tune procedures" for each chip, based on their experiance etc... In essence he said the same you guys told me, but thanks to you i could ask the right questions :) I have a good feeling.

Thanky you everybody for your time & your helpfulness!

Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-