Questions Concerning Softmod

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Squall3, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Squall3
    OP

Squall3 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    Iceland
    Hey all,
    I've been reading around the forum for a while now, and just now registered.
    I'm thinking of buying a Wii U soon, and I have some questions regarding the softmod operation I'd be glad if I could get help with.

1. I know that the Wii U is region locked, but is the vWii locked as well for original Wii games?
    2. As for the exploits themselves, is there a preferred one, or one that is more/less safe than the others?
    3. Concerning the Bathaxx exploit, must I have a Wii controller and Nunchuk in order to play it and thus install the HBC?

Thanks in advance! =]

2. darkseekerliu

darkseekerliu Advanced Player

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    Some answers:
    1- As soon as you softmod vWii - you will have region free when using backup loaders - Crediar (a very well known wii/gc developer) has also stated that region free for wii u games will only be possible through softmod (note that announced devices to play backups (odes - wiikey and cobra ode U) none of them stated anything about region free.

2- No any of the exploits will work - they are safe. I myself perfomed the batthax on my Wii u on firmware 5.0.0 with no problems at all.
    Just follow this tutorial and you will be fine (http://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/)

3 - Yes, in order to perform the bathaxx you will need to play the game (lego batman) at least once, and in order to play the game you must use nunchuck + wiimote.

3. Squall3
    OP

Squall3 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    Iceland
    Thank you, mate!

Oh, and another one that slipped my mind earlier-
    I've heard that if possible, it is better to keep the Wii U at 4.x version, in hope for any Wii U hack that may come. Should I get a 4.x console, how can I stop it from updating?
    I saw something about blocking some addresses, is that it? And what are the disadvantages of not updating, is online multiplayer still available?

Thanks again for all who answers =]

4. darkseekerliu

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    For now the exploit in wii u mode is only avaiable for Firmware 4.10. But there's a possibility of it being ported to 5.0.0.
    Regarding blocking updates you just have to disable the connection on the setup menu and the sleep mode, which wii u uses to download updates while it is on stand by mode.

About blocking adress to avoid updating your wii u, here follow some posts that worth reading:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-situation-and-faq.367627/

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-browser-exploit-leaked-for-v4-10.367458/page-22

Hope it helps you clear some of your doubts.

5. Squall3
    OP

Squall3 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2014
    Iceland
    I see, thanks.
    But what online features will a console have after not updating, and blocking off further updates like that, if any at all?

6. darkseekerliu

Jun 13, 2013
    Brazil
    Drakonia
    ** If you decide not to update you will be able to use a future homebrew channel for wii u when it comes true (allowing region free, usbloaders, howebrew, etc..) - but I think (not sure) you will not be able to access the e-shop, I don't know if you will be able to play online with mario kart 8 for example...

At the moment the exploit only works on firmware 4.1.0

*** If you update you will have your console up-to-date enjoying all the online features and with the next update nintendo can block the exploit and no one know when/or if, a new exploit will be available, I mean no homebrew, hacks, etc....

That's your choice to update or not.

Squall3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice