Questions before I start hacking my Wii...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Yuuri, Aug 22, 2009.

Aug 22, 2009
  1. Yuuri
    OP

Newcomer Yuuri Newbie

Philippines
    Hey guys, I plan on hacking me and installing the Homebrew Channel (preferably BannerBomb) and a Backup Launcher. I'm new to the whole Wii scene, so please bear with me. I have some questions before I start messing with my Wii:

1) I plan on using BannerBomb to install the Homebrew Channel, and besides the freezing problem, is there any other problems I should worry about?
    2) I also plan on using NeoGamma R7 for the backup launcher. Which discs should I use for the backup games: DVD-R or CD-R? I bought Memorex DVD-R with 4.7GB, and I'm just wondering if I bought the right one.

So, if you can answer them, I would really appreciate it. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Frozen_Fish

Member Frozen_Fish GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by the freezing problem but you shouldn't run into any problems if you follow the instructions correctly.

2. Memorex is actually one of the worst brands you could have chosen the discs have a very high rate of failure, use high quality discs like Verbatim DVD-R and burn at a slow speed.

3. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    cd-rs will not work for the wii.

dvd-r are the best to use with verbatim being one of the best brands you can use.

If you have to use dvd+r make sure you set the book type to dvd-rom

4. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Honestly I would use Sony DVD-R ($30 for a 50pk, and I only have one coaster out of all of those), they are amazing discs that I have used for X-Box, X-Box 360, PS2 and Wii. Make sure you follow the 4.0 or 4.1 guides on this or other web sites, to avoid issues.

-Wynd

5. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Since you're new to the scene, reading through my guide would be the perfect thing to do first. It's not as much of a guide to just straight follow like other ones, but more of an encyclopedia of information on everything you're going to need to be using to do it. And knowing what you're doing before you do it will GREATLY reduce the chance that you will brick your Wii.

Click the link in my sig below to see it.

6. Yuuri
    OP

Newcomer Yuuri Newbie

Philippines
    Thanks for the answers, and I know Memorex is a bad brand, but it was the only ones available. I just hope they work, that's all I want. [​IMG]

7. $uPeRJjS&#0

Member $uPeRJjS&#0 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    USB Loader good for backups not DVD's.... It's because you don't waste to many DVD's if you failed burning one and you don't kill your lasers too fast!

8. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    They could work but honestely in the long term its not working. Using bad media will put excessive strain on your laser which in turn will make your laser stop working long before it should. If you do use memorex dont play for extended periods of time. When i first hacked my wii i used an some only until i got my hands on some TDK's which have always worked perfectly for me.

9. Yuuri
    OP

Newcomer Yuuri Newbie

Philippines
    Having second thoughts about the Memorex. If it's bad like you guys say it is, then I'll plan on returning it and hopefully buying something of a better brand. I'll go ahead and check if they have Verbatim brands. If those aren't available, I'll settle for the Sony ones that Wynd mentioned. Anyway, thanks for helping. [​IMG]

.....Where DO they sell Verbatim? I'm thinking Walmart, but I hate that place. [​IMG]