Hacking Questions about SCDS1 and Cyclo DS...

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to replace my R4 card with a newer flashcard. I've read up on the differences between the Supercard DS 1 and Cyclo DS and I'm almost positive I'll go for the Supercard (triple OS support sold me.) to replace my R4. But I do have some questions:

* Out of these two cards, which has better support (Faster firmware updates, better customer service, etc.) as I don't want to find myself replacing the card 3 months from now if the company goes the way of R4's team.
* Do either of these cards use the same save format support as the R4?
* What would be some reliable sites to purchase either card from? Preferably something within the states with the best deal on either card. (Not which card is cheaper mind you, just what site might sell the Cyclo or Supercard for the best price.)

I've done business with Dealsextreme before but find their shipping practices take far too long for my tastes. I'm hoping to purchase the card this weekend and receive it within a week from that date. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to ask if either of these cards are compatible with the EZFlash 3-in-1 GBA card.

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I'm not sure if you've read my comparison yet, but you might want to (it's in my sig). Asides from that, the support for the CycloDS Evolution seems better, but the Supercard team has been supporting their oldest products for a long time now.

CycloDS Evolution uses the same save files, whereas the Supercard *could* but usually doesn't.

EDIT: Both of them support the EZ Flash, but the CycloDS Evolution supports it natively whereas the Supercard needs a homebrew application.

I just want to say that is an AMAZING comparison guide you've made, congratulations! Looking at the two I've decided I'm definitely going with the Supercard. Even if it'll take a little more effort into tweaking in the end it'll be worth it. The multisave option is absolutely wonderful too. Truth be I'm getting a better flashcart because I intend on downloading Phantasy Star Zero for the NDS once it's released near the end of this year in Japan. With the lack of support the R4 has I want to be certain that the game will be either supported or support will be made to ensure it does work.

One last question about the Supercard: In a FAQ I noticed that showed how to fix the PSRAM error, the Supercard has a battery. What happens when that battery finally goes dead? Can it be replaced or will I be forced to get a brand new card? I know it's rechargable but they only last for so long...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier just wanted to say thanks for that comparison....i agree it's amazing and highly detailed. I'm a Cyclo owner anyway, and what i read didn't make me change my mind on how i feel about it (perhaps it even helped reassure me that it was a good choice). Plus your information about the Cyclo "Multisave" was interesting reading as i was unaware of it....aside from the management of two different save locations, and if i understand correctly, the fact that you have to enable the locations both before you launch the ROM in the main settings menu and then again within the Enhanced menu, it seems like it'd be a reliable, if somewhat fiddly alternative to the Supercard's system. Is that a reasonably accurate assumption?

Just noticed...looks like the alternate save path is a 1.51b option which is probably why i'd not read about it....too chicken to experiment with the beta's!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just that if the next stable firmware release features the alternate save path option is it a viable solution for two people sharing the same DS? From your comparison it appeared that the problem was not in reliability or functionality, but rather in the clunkiness of the interface options you'd have to navigate for each user.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the information...and kudos again for the comparison!

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately one question went unanswered: What's a reliable place to buy either one of these cards? Since I decided on the SCDS1 SDHC V3 I'd prefer a location within the US or Canada. Dealsextreme is good but their shipping takes too long. I don't care if it's free shipping or not really.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SamusKnight2K said:
Unfortunately one question went unanswered: What's a reliable place to buy either one of these cards? Since I decided on the SCDS1 SDHC V3 I'd prefer a location within the US or Canada. Dealsextreme is good but their shipping takes too long. I don't care if it's free shipping or not really.
RealHot Stuff is a good place, I hear. I'm pretty sure they sell the SCDS1... They're located in America, btw.

SamusKnight2K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find one place actually that has the SCDS1, once I get my paycheck this week I'll set off to buy one.

LINK: http://www.leetmod.com

They've got a combo set that includes the SCDS1 SDHC, a 2GB Kingston SD card, USB 2.0 SDHC reader, and Hori screen protector for $29.99. It doesn't come with the retail box or CD, but who really needs those anyway?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1