Questions about Plailect Guide (A9LH)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheToaster, Aug 23, 2016.

1. TheToaster
    OP

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    A few weeks ago, I installed MenuHax and downgraded my sysNAND using a version of sysUpdater to 9.2.0-20 so that I can get RXTools CFW. I knew that I could have installed A9LH, but I kind of procrastinated and pushed it off because I was scared that I might screw something up when I downgraded all the way to 2.1 to get the OTP. I didn't really know the benefits of A9LH.

Now, the CFW that I am using is Luma and it runs on emuNAND 11.0-33 (latest). I decided that I should install A9LH now. But, when I saw the guide, it seems that many changes have been made and I would just like to ask a few questions for clarification:

1.) On the official guide, it says:

This concerns me because I do have DSiWare installed (Just a few, including Flipnote Studio). Should I delete these tiles off of sysNAND before proceeding with the downgrade? Also, I have never heard of PlaiSysUpdater, so I assume it is a safer version of the original sysUpdater?

If I system format my sysNAND , does this prevent a softbrick?

2.) I am already running an emuNAND. Will the downgrade to 2.1.0 make me lose my emuNAND and all the data on it? Also, the guide refers to RedNAND, but considering the fact that they are practically the same thing, can I pretty much follow the guide by replacing every instance of "RedNAND" to "emuNAND"?

If anyone could clarify, that would be much appreciated.

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    1-yes you should delete those dsiware titles from the nand and perform a system format, which will decrease your chance of softbricking
    2-no, because on the guide, you'll make a backup of your non-formatted emunand (with everything) and you're gonna flash it to sysnand at the very end of the guide, thus not losing anything in the process

TheToaster likes this.
  3. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Ok, so I first delete the DSiWare titles and then format my sysNAND.

So, in the guide, it talks about RedNAND. Since I already have an emuNAND partition on my SD card, can I perform the same steps by substituting "RedNAND" to "EmuNAND" in the guide?

4. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    You don't have to , it's fine if it's emunand

TheToaster likes this.
  5. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Thanks.

6. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    since you are already on 9.2, this soft brick thing doesn't apply to you, only on downgrading to 9.2.

7. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    So, I do not have to delete the titles or format when downgrading to 2.1?

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    no. you would dump rednand (also emunand, you can use them the same) before you format it twice and downgrade it to 2.1.

though very soon, you won't have to downgrade rednand, you'd just downgrade sysnand directly with the new CTRNAND method. if you want to wait a bit, there's that.

TheToaster likes this.
  9. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Also, if I install a9lh, then can I update my sysNAND to the latest version whenever there is a new update without worrying whether things will be patched?

10. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    yes

if you're worried you can always wait for confirmation

TheToaster likes this.
  11. Ironknight

Ironknight GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Please wait a few days, the guide will get an update, which will make the process easier, safer and faster.

TheToaster likes this.
  12. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    i'd recommend waiting as well, even with OTPHelper its still a kind of "Flash n' Pray" ordeal on if you bricked or not. (though when i did it before the guide i downgraded to 9.2 just fine and i still had Cavestory DSiWare from my old DSI itself installed.)

TheToaster likes this.
  13. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Any news on when the guide will be updated?

14. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Eventually, they have to test the new method and make sure it works then write up a simple tutorial for the guide on how to do it. We just need to wait patiently.

15. Ironknight

May 24, 2016
    Gambia, The
    They have it ready, they just have to make sure there are no spelling errors, mistakes etc. They also need more seeds, which I am seeding right now.

TheToaster likes this.
  16. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    I know, I am one of the "they" you're referring to... The one who originally did the first publicly documented CTRNAND transfer (not the first one to do it, though), which the new guide is based around... (Not to mention, it's out now)

No need to tell me the status ;) thanks for seeding files, helps us out a ton!

peteruk likes this.
  17. Ironknight

May 24, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for the new method, I was just informing the others

18. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    -snip-