Questions about Nand mod

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by filfat, May 19, 2014.

1. filfat
    OP

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    Hi, im currently about to perform a nand access mod on a original 3DS, however iv just got some questions before I start,
    Can I use a USB extender's output as the nand->output and then the input as input -> SD?
    Also, IV seen that the 3DS is suppose to show a bootrom error, can I start the 3DS without it connected to the PC?
    And last, I have destroyed two of the small screw's any tips?

Thanks. (Also any diagrams or images so I solder the cabels to the right place would be appreciated)

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    1, not sure what you mean exactly here, I assume you mean can you use a USB port to have NAND access.........while you can use a USB port it isn't a USB port it's just another way oh being able to connect and disconnect the sd-NAND mod when not in use

2, of course, if you connect without it being connected to the PC it works as normal

3, depen on how ruined they are, if there is still some head lef, try a slightly larger screw driver and apply plent of force.........just be carful not to put pressure on the screens

4, you should already have read up before you start dismantling the console, but here you go
    http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

filfat likes this.
  3. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Yes, I have read up about the pin outs, I just wanted to make sure that I was correct XD
    About the USB mod I meant that I use a USB output and input to connect the SD card cable to the PC for example:
    NAND->USB Output, USB Input -> SD Card.

Also, I should connect CLK, CMD and DAT0, or did I miss anything,

4. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    The screw's: [​IMG]

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    And ground :P, yeah you can use USB ports for the mod, just be sure you don't just plug it into a USB cable though, only use your usb to sd adapter

Edit: and them screws look like you might be able to get them, use a slightly bigger screw driver and use quite a bit of pressure,then turn slowly to see if you can catch the screw enough to loosen it, I believe you can get special screw extractors but not sure if they do them that small :P! might be left with either drilling the head off the screw or breaking the plastic around the screw! neither of which are very pretty

I will admit the screws on the standard 3ds do have a tendency of being in very tight, it's always best to go slow and firm in those situations until it's loosened a bit

filfat likes this.
  6. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks man :)
    Now lets do this! :D

7. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    When the screwing is tight, it's ALWAYS best to go slow and firm until things loosen.

Woodbin likes this.
  8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I feel this thread took a more seedy undertone :rofl:

filfat likes this.
  9. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Well,
    [​IMG]
    Protip that's stupid, well it still works but yeah..

bartimeaus91 likes this.
  10. roxas-89

roxas-89 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Egypt
    Damn dude did you use a drill to open it !! :blink:

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    i believe so :lol: i have personally had to drill the hads off screws before to get them out when the head is messed up(not like that though its pretty messy a smaller drill bit would of been appropriate)....but the thing i am most concerned about is the fact it looks like it goes right through.......i assume its more of a weird picture illusion

filfat likes this.
  12. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    No, i'm pretty sure it goes right through lol.

filfat and gamesquest1 like this.
  13. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i repaired a 3ds with stripped screws, i sawed off the back cover and put in a new housing to make it look new :)

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    personally i would just use a little rotary tool drill bit and take the head off the screw, then use pliers to remove the shaft once its open

filfat and cearp like this.
  15. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Its totally fine, the drill didn't do any damage at all, it thankfully just opened up the casing :)

gamesquest1 likes this.