Questions about DSTWO

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ficion, Jul 12, 2014.

1. ficion
    OP

ficion Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Hello everyone. I'm new into all this 3DS hacking and flashcards (and I got my 3DS not too much ago) and I have some questions about the DSTwo card, which I don't own yet, but I want to be sure before buying it.

I'd like to have this one because in the country I live I haven't seen many options to buy non-clone R4i DS/R4i NDS. While I have seen some offers of clones of these cards (like the R4i SDHC and those found on www.r4igold.cc), I've heard these are not very convenient, and DSTwo cards seem more quality (and clone-free).

My questions are:

Can I install this card on my current 3DS XL with 7.2.0-17 firmware? I've heard that if you don't have a DSi or DS lite and your 3DS is updated, you won't be able to install it. Is there any hope for that?

Does it always dries the battery? I've also read the DSTwo severely drains the console battery while in sleep mode. Does it mean I won't be able to close my console until I shut it down completely?

And last, are there any issues with the XL? I've read there are some design problems with the XL cardrige slot and the DSTwo cadrige, like, it doesn't fit.

Thanks, and sorry for my terrible English! :(

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    Can I install this card on my current 3DS XL with 7.2.0-17 firmware? I've heard that if you don't have a DSi or DS lite and your 3DS is updated, you won't be able to install it. Is there any hope for that?

it depends where you buy it, nds-card.com retailer for example ships the card with the last firmware so you dont have any problem updating.. check the retailer description, and ask him via email if the firmware is 1.25 if the card doesnt have firmware 1.25, you just need to borrow a friends ds to make the update, there is also a second method you can use with your 3ds, but the card needs to have a not too old firmware

Does it always dries the battery? I've also read the DSTwo severely drains the console battery while in sleep mode. Does it mean I won't be able to close my console until I shut it down completely?

there are some tests, some tests claim it drains less battery than a retail cart... what do you mean you won't be able to close your console? you can put it into sleep whenever you want

And last, are there any issues with the XL? I've read there are some design problems with the XL cardrige slot and the DSTwo cadrige, like, it doesn't fit.

i dont know where you found this "issue", but i own a ds lite and a 3ds xl and the card even fits better in the 3ds xl.. the card is exactly the same size as a game cart, the only thing is, it is a little more fat than a regular card because you can see a chip in the plastic, but it fits with no problem, in my ds sometimes it looks like is stuck, but it is not, on the 3ds xl however it comes out nicely...

3. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    for question one : like migel said it depends on your flash firmware , in the worst situation you can borrow a ds in order to update
    for question two : I think the dstwo dries the battery fast if you play emulated gba and snes but not the regular ds games
    for question three: there is no issue with 3ds xl, it fit perfectly. I own 3dsxl and ds two and there is no problem in fitting the cart.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    forgot to mention, yes, if you play SNES or GBA games on dstwo (using dstwo emulators) it will drain the battery a lot faster, this is because gba and snes emulatores take advantage of the cpu inside the dstwo for extra processing power.

but i recall seing a thread claiming dstwo had better battery saving than any other flashcart and even a retail cart.. but this is what i had found:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-much-do-flashcards-affect-ds-battery-life.240927/

http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-ds-battery-test-thread-in-the-world.289020/

Omer likes this.
  5. ficion
    OP

ficion Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Many thanks to you two! It reassurances me a bit.
    I will make sure the card works on my console before actually buying it.

Thanks!