How much do Flashcards affect DS battery life ??

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CannonFoddr, Jul 16, 2010.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Some general Nintendo Info
    According to Nintendo specifications, the battery life for each DS system on MAX brightness is.....
    • DSi XL: 4-5hrs
      DSi: 3-4hrs
      DS Lite: 5-8hrs
      DS Phat: 6-10hrs (note: according to specs the 'Phat' doesn't have different brightness levels)
    So this should give you a rough idea how long it'll take to complete a test

2. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Test Results

3DS Tests (please note I did not do these, not having a 3DS - so EXACT testing conditions are not known unless stated)
    R4iDS (original, r4ids.cn): 7hrs10mins - Brightness 1, Power Saving On, Volume 50%, snailface's battery timer
    AK2i + snailface's battery timer (3ds version)* :6hr20min Brightness 1, Power Saving ON, Volume 50%, Native Resolution ON (256X192)
    DStwo + snailface's battery timer (3ds version)*: 6hr35min Brightness 1, Power Saving ON, Volume 50%, Resolution (320X240)

*3ds version of Snailface battery tester uses a non-PA_RTC version as the 3DS doesn't seem to support the PA_RTC function. This uses the slightly less accurate CPU timer instead.

DSi XL Tests
    Retail game + Wifi turned off:5hr 15min

DSi Tests
    NO game card + WiFi turned OFF: 3hrs 59mins
    NO game card + WiFi turned ON: 3hrs 37mins
    Retail game (Sonic Rush) + WiFi turned off: 4hrs 06mins
    AK2i + ROM (Sonic Rush) + WiFi turned off: 3hrs 24mins
    DSTwo+ROM (Sonic Rush)+ WiFi turned off: 3hrs 18mins
    M3i Zero+ROM (Sonic Rush) + Wifi turned off: 3Hrs 08mins
    DSTwo + NDS-GBA Emulator running 'Metroid - Zero Mission' + WiFi turned off:3hrs 20mins
    R4i Gold + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: TEST TO DO
    M3i Zero + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: TEST TO DO
    AK2i + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: TEST TO DO
    DSTwo + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: TEST TO DO

DSLite Tests
    AK2i + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: 8hr 16min *see note
    DSTwo + DS Battery Life Timer v1.1: 8Hrs 06mins (Tried v2.0 several times - Program 'locks up' at random times)
    N5 + DS Battery Life Timer v1.1: 6hrs 48mins
    NO game card inserted: 5hrs 10min
    Retail game (Sonic Rush): 5hrs 00min
    R4i Gold + DS Battery Life Timer v2.0: 4hrs 46mins
    R4i Gold + DS Battery Life Timer v1.1: 4hrs 44mins NB: Did this to see if there was any difference between the 2 test programs
    Acekard 2.1 +ROM (GTA Chinatown Wars): 4hrs 35mins
    M3i Zero + DS battery Life Timer v2.0 (using 'Touchpod'): 4Hrs 06mins
    M3i Zero + DS battery Life Timer v2.0 (using 'Sakura'): 4Hrs 06mins
    DSTwo + NDS-GBA Emulator running 'Metroid - Zero Mission': 4hrs 00min

*note: Yes that IS 8hr 16mins - I even did the test twice with the same settings (High brightness) as the other tests and that's the shortest time I got (the other was 8hr 22mins BTW). How the hell it's >3hr longer I don't know

DSPhat
    DSTwo + NDS-GBA Emulator:~4hrs
    DSTwo + ROM:~6hrs

3. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Interesting topic [​IMG]
    To add more variability into the equation, people have said that 4GB and 8GB cards will consume more power than others like 1GB and 2GB models. I have been meaning to test this myself.

Another variable is the age of the unit (batteries hold less charge as the more they have been charged and/or the heat they have been subjected to) and the temperature affects things too. But all things being equal, we should be able to get somewhere...

4. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've also heard the bits about MicroSD cards can also affect battery life - howver I believe this is such a small amount it shouldn't really affect the general battery life too much

It is a shame that over 100 people have actually looked @ this & yet you're the only one that actually replied to it - guess it's not such an interested topic than I thought

5. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Hmm, interesting. Although age also is a great factor in this. Because my old DSlite literally only had 2 hours with a flashcard.
    Although that could also be a result of when I used to use it as an MP3 player and left it in my pocket during the school all the time [​IMG]
    Still it's good to know that flashcards don't make a huge impact on the battery.

EDIT: What about the factor of flashed DS's?

6. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    lol, don't be so upset just because you don't get a hot topic [​IMG]
    i bet some of them are testing battery life themselves to make sure there reliable [​IMG]

7. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    nice facts, i have both dsi and dstwo cart, i wonder if different games running on either the gba emu or just ds game being booted affect the battery life as well?

8. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Why not give it a try ?? - I know I said 'if a test been done.... then don't bother repeating it', but I guess that since you've thought of it - then others may also want to know

(Hey we might even find out which GAME cause the biggest battery drain [​IMG] )

9. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why use the brightest setting? If you are checking battery levels for how long it would last if you are in a situation where you can't charge it wouldn't you usually use a low-light setting than highest?

10. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    True - you would use the lowest setting for seeing how long you could play between charges - but as the post title say 'How much do flashcards affect battery life' not 'how long does your battery last with a flashcard'

After all - can you guarentee you'll be around your DS in 17 hrs time to see it die (you need to be to see the time it did) ?? - I know I couldn't, but 4-5 hours I knew I could

11. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Okay, so I'm doing the test on my DSi XL. I've turned off Wi-Fi, I set it to the highest brightness, put the volume at 1 button press from mute, and I guess I'm going to first test it with GBA. I'll do another test tomorrow.

I'm done my test, but I don't want to post my results until I do 2 more tests.

12. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I'm bored, so I'm gonna do a test with my Acekard 2.1, DS Lite, running the game Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. Test starts once my DS is fully charged [​IMG]

13. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Many thanks lads....just don't forget to to include all info required (Yaymii - what flashcard are you using ?, fudgenut - don't forget to mention whether WiFi is on or off)

14. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I'm using a DSTWO, but I know my results will be much different than yours, since mine is a DSi XL. I got 4hours 20 minutes on the GBA (no WiFi) test IIRC. It's over an hour more than your results [​IMG] I'll format it correctly when I finish the other test(s).
    I'm tested Super Mario 3 on GBA, and I'll be testing NSMB on DS. I'll be doing AK2i tomorrow, and I might also be doing retail. Although for some reason, I want to do a GBA mid-brightness test (but I don't have the time).
    Also, fudgenuts64 can't really say if his WiFi is on or off ~ he's on a DS lite.

15. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info - & you're right, I didn't read his post correctly [​IMG]

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Even on a DSi, the WiFi setting doesn't keep it constantly broadcasting, it just means it's enabled, so I'd imagine there is virtually no difference, unless you include the power spent on the indicator light.

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    But it's proven that the WiFi setting takes a lot of power when idling at the DSi menu, and that takes away at least 2 minutes even if you just quickly boot a game.

Anyways, I kinda forgot that I was supposed to test my AK2i life today, so I'll have to wait for my DSi XL to charge. Oh well. But I kinda want to do the retail first, so I'll just pop my retail New Super Mario Bros. in so I'll be ready.

EDIT: Ugh, I don't have enough time to do a test today. I'll try to do both tests tomorrow.

18. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Unlikely it's JUST the light - if that's the case why did I 'lose' 22mins ??

I think you're partly right about 'doesn't keep it constantly broadcasting' - but IIRC it DOES broadcast it's SSID (or equivalent) on a regular basis, & THAT takes battery power to supply the 'transmitter'

IIRC it's something similar with Mobile phones - the phones battery life is reduced if you leave your Bluetooth switched on, even if you not using it - it is still broadcasting, hence one 'tip' for longer life is to turn it off when you don't use it

19. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Sorry I haven't posted. I never got to the test, but I will have results tomorrow.

20. johncenafan427

Member johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    all i know is

the supercard dstwo when you're playing with the gba emulator
    or on the menus at all, as in not playing a ds game,

they take up more battery.