Homebrew Question, Where is the main engine code for persona 4 on the PS2 and dose it apply for the other games built on said engine

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to decompile P4 and attempted to patch it to run P3 FES and any other games that support the engine. (Kinda like the tale of two wastelands a Fallout NV mod that allows you to play Fallout 3 in NV)
(
Im doing this to help with my programing and see if i can make some of the games working on Game Consoles that have issues or can't emulating ps2.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what that mod you reference does underneath it all but if it is anything like the different elder scrolls in other elder scrolls efforts (and modern fallout and modern elder scrolls are the same engine underneath it all) then most of those are closer to full porting efforts than some kind of hypervisor, object import or compatibility layer like we sometimes saw for old Doom engine efforts. Persona games also feature fairly high levels of scripting/scripted events which the engine could be made to handle but might also be custom code (not necessarily the best programming method but quick, cheap and easy, and more than acceptable).

I would also be careful with the word decompile. For some it will reference the act of turning compiled code back into high level source code, see Diablo, Mario 64 and now Zelda 64, with many other things coming along nicely. It could possibly be done; late PS2 era maybe still seeing enough C (as opposed to C++ which is presently extremely tricky/basically unworkable for this) to make that a useful notion.
For others it will more simply be the act of unpacking the ISO/exploding the ISO into all the component files so you can poke at them with a stick and see what they are made of.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, That makes sence. I can try this (But it wont be pretty after im done screwing around with the code(And trying to get it running on my 2008 E-machine)) Maybe ill start off with modding tools and then work my way down to breaking it down to working pieces

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i said L4D, not 14d