Gaming Question over POPSloader/Homebrew...

OmegaTheOverLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is that currently I am using the 5.50 GEN D firmware for the PSP, and I wanted to know if/how to run the POPSloader for PSX games (Since everything I read on it says before so, so I do not know if there is a firmware issue with anything above 4.0). Also, how do I set up homebrew on the PSP correctly to run? (Loading games is in ISO, do I put homebrew in a different spot called HOMEBREW or in ISO as well?). Thanks for any help.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Homebrew and PS1 games go into PSP/GAME in the memory stick. You can load most games using the normal POPs but there is a Popsloader plugin for GEN-D2 if you need the extra flexibility though I suggest finding a pre-built version of it (rather than fiddling with extracting different versions from different firmwares)

OmegaTheOverLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Homebrew and PS1 games go into PSP/GAME in the memory stick. You can load most games using the normal POPs but there is a Popsloader plugin for GEN-D2 if you need the extra flexibility though I suggest finding a pre-built version of it (rather than fiddling with extracting different versions from different firmwares)

so i can get any build of pops and use it to play PSX games then? I did put the homebrew in the game folder, but it said it was corrupted (I'll try a different one, just to make sure.). I simply put pops into the memory stick then, or is there anything specific i should know?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Its a little more complicated, you need to enable the plug-in as well and you have to choose whichever Pops version you want on the first load of the game.

OmegaTheOverLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. Also I have read that you need to patch the games prior to playing? Also the newest pops will work on the 550-GEND correct? (I'm not used to using a PSP in this way, so I just want to make it right on a first shot basis xD)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Protip - pops is present natively in every firmware. Before you do anything else try every PSX game you have and see if it'll run on the pops you have in your current firmware. You don't patch PSX games, you just need to ensure that they've been converted correctly (unfortunately different converters boast differently compatibilities, as do different IMG ripping apps)

So - PSP/Game/MeAndMyMonkey/EBOOT.PBP first.
If it doesn't work then you look into popsloader.

OmegaTheOverLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Protip - pops is present natively in every firmware. Before you do anything else try every PSX game you have and see if it'll run on the pops you have in your current firmware. You don't patch PSX games, you just need to ensure that they've been converted correctly (unfortunately different converters boast differently compatibilities, as do different IMG ripping apps)

So - PSP/Game/MeAndMyMonkey/EBOOT.PBP first.
If it doesn't work then you look into popsloader.

so i just put teh game into the PSP folder "GAME", and just see if it loads then? Do I rename it EBOOT though?

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You have to convert the game into eboot, then put the eboot into a folder (name the folder with the game title, e.g. Final Fantasy), put the FF folder in the GAME folder.
PSP/Game/FF/EBOOT.PBP (like xist said)

OmegaTheOverLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShinRyouma said:
You have to convert the game into eboot, then put the eboot into a folder (name the folder with the game title, e.g. Final Fantasy), put the FF folder in the GAME folder.
PSP/Game/FF/EBOOT.PBP (like xist said)

so i just get an iso to eboot convertor then?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If all is working once you've converted your PS ISO to EBOOT.PBP and put it in its own folder, you'll find it listed as a normal game on the PSP and can just run it like you can run any PSP game from the memcard.

It is worth noting that there are are many compatibility issues across the various PS games. There's a wiki with a detailed list, but I can't remember the link. Certain games like Final Fantasy will most certainly have compatibility issues with some of the newer POPS, preferring to use 3.71 instead (or at least, that's how it's been since I played them - I've not checked in a long time now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol