ROM Hack [Question] Monster Hunter Generations Save Editor

Candy324

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
umm for the save manager you would get here https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases

and yeah that was me hehe

Hello i'm going to ask a nooby question.

Right now i've a N 3ds. with the version 11.0.0-33E

I understand that for be avaible of using "cheats" for monster hunger x / generations one has to do one of the following.

- Get CFW

or

- Get Homebrew

Afterwards, you've to dump all data on your memory card, as well as decrypt it so we can do our edits.

Once done it is possible to encrypt it again and reverse the whole process where you then can join back into the game.

Now i'm sitting in this situation that I got told I can't get homebrew on my current version while you say that it is possible now with several ways.

Therefore can you please tell me exactly which route i should go for with my 11.0.0 - 33 E

I read that the person above had updated too, but as I'ven't worked on 3ds in the past I'm not sure if he has 11.0.0 - 33 E as well or not. which is why I wanted to specificly type the version down. thank you for your time. looking forward for your reply.

When I read github links etc. I'm getting confused of what I need or do not need ._.

Scumbag nintendo - powersaves was so simple and easy.

I've super smash bro's game

also APM if you play monster hunter generations, is it possible you can share a cat with me who can one shot? (Then I would be free from all this hazzle)

the reason I really want to hack this game is because.

I've no more free time as I used to. this is my 8th monster hunter game

Played all PSP and Nintedo/wii versions / as well as own them, and tried out frontier + mh online.

In the past I had a lot of free time, but i'm sadly limited thesedays. I will use cheating for grinding parts, So I can get the required armor sets and set on hunt with friends when i find time for the hunts. (So basically I do not care with individual progress, but gameplay with friends)

So if this was possible it would be amazing!.

Last edited by Candy324,

CloudDelta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Same here...have the 11.0.0.33E

I lauchned Homebrew but it seems i cant install the CIAs for the savedatafiler or FBI to extract the Save from the SD Card...
Powersaves does not work because it is not a suported game (because it saves in the SD Card)

Any ways i can extract the save from my SD Card?

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same question really. I managed to get the homebrew installed using OOT and Powersaves, but how do I install the save manager? FBI doesn't work without CFW and NASA black screens on me when launched. Is there another way to install the CIA file? Also, the only way to launch the Homebrew is to use OOT right? So I have to have the game in and do it that way every time?

APM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same question really. I managed to get the homebrew installed using OOT and Powersaves, but how do I install the save manager? FBI doesn't work without CFW and NASA black screens on me when launched. Is there another way to install the CIA file? Also, the only way to launch the Homebrew is to use OOT right? So I have to have the game in and do it that way every time?
Download JK's Save Manager from: https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases
Extract the 2 folders and put them into the root of your sd card
Boot up Homebrew Launcher
Click on the JK Save Manager Icon
Select extdata or something like that

Reactions: KytuzuEX

FatalEYES

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to get the homebrew installed using OOT and Powersaves
I deeply hate to ask this of you, but is there any chance that you'd be willing to walk me through or just a quick step by step on how to install Homebrew with the method you used? Been looking around all morning, but haven't found any guides that have really helped me at all.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I figured it out haha, sorry for the dumb questions. I originally just downloaded the CIA and couldn't install it. I didn't know there was a HBL version. Kind of sucks having to boot into it every time to import/export, but it's ok.

Last edited by DEMONDICE,

APM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I figured it out haha, sorry for the dumb questions. I originally just downloaded the CIA and couldn't install it. I didn't know there was a HBL version. Kind of sucks having to boot into it every time to import/export, but it's ok. Question however, I tried to give myself zenny with the Kriogenic MHX editor and it doesn't take. My points work, but zenny resets. Am I doing something wrong or is it the editor? Any recommendations on a good one?
Don't think that guy's working on his editor anymore. You can always try using mine: https://gbatemp.net/threads/apm-mhx-mhgen-save-editor.434421/

FatalEYES

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've managed to get the homebrew menu with the Powersaves and OoT trick. I've gotten the JKSM save manager on the menu, but I am confused as to what to do after that. I click on the MH:G data when in the manage, the top screen goes black, and the bottom screen goes red. What do I do at this point? Just wait?

Reactions: Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've managed to get the homebrew menu with the Powersaves and OoT trick. I've gotten the JKSM save manager on the menu, but I am confused as to what to do after that. I click on the MH:G data when in the manage, the top screen goes black, and the bottom screen goes red. What do I do at this point? Just wait?
This. I've been trying to get this to work and I have no clue on what to do now. I rebooted multiple times and tried again, but to no avail. Any help? @APM

FatalEYES

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. I've been trying to get this to work and I have no clue on what to do now. I rebooted multiple times and tried again, but to no avail. Any help? @APM
Here, what I ended up doing was using JK's tool that he made specifically for MH:G. You'll find it at the bottom of the page, here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/page-70
Basically, just export, pop the SD into your computer to edit with your preferred editor(Mine is APM's), save, pop it back into the 3DS and import it with the same tool you used to export. Restart the system and go ahead and play.

Genosis Shift

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have no idea what I'm doing. Tried following steps and stuff but still doesn't work or I'm just not getting it... Is there any video tutorials out there that could help me out? Would be easier if I could see what is being done

SoupLoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all i just wanted to say thank you for the replies here they have been helping me alot, i was just wondering i have gotten as far as to get the oot hax to work and got the save editor on there but i just dont know what to do from there? it asks be fora target when i launch the save editor and i have tried putting in the monster hunter game at that point to try and find its data but with no luck what do i have to do? and what do i do once i fond the data? Any help would be awesome thanks in advanced!

SoupLoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here, what I ended up doing was using JK's tool that he made specifically for MH:G. You'll find it at the bottom of the page, here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/page-70
Basically, just export, pop the SD into your computer to edit with your preferred editor(Mine is APM's), save, pop it back into the 3DS and import it with the same tool you used to export. Restart the system and go ahead and play.

also tried to use this but i just have no idea how :( I'm so new to all of this any help would be amazing

Reactions: Captain Jack

Vinhstart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how I got mine to work. I'll try to do it step by step as much as possible for anyone having trouble. (This will be for those doing Oot3DSHax since this is the only method I tried and worked)
(Currently works for version 11.0.0-33US or EU

1. Have homebrew installed
2. Download the JKSM zip named "JKSM 6-30-2016' from the releases section (https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases)
3. Drag and drop the 3ds folder into the SD card that carries your main 3DS files and homebrew.
4. Plop back the microsd card into your 3DS
5. Access homebrew through Oothax3DS
6. Switch the game cartridge to Monster Hunter Generations
7. Open JKSM in the homebrew and hit a or tap on the Monster Hunter Generations selection (if you can't find it try using the left and right buttons to browse through apps)
8. Screen should go black, and after a moment a screen with the options of Save Data Options, Extra Data Options, and Exit should show up. (If for some reason it doesn't work, don't panic, hold the power button to hard reset your system and repeat the process)
9. Go to export Extra Data Options since that is where the MHG save file should be located (in extradata)
10. Hit export ExtData and than hit new (you can name it whatever you want, hit a when your done)
11. Once it's done copying the system file turn of your system and plop the microsd card back into your computer.
12. Now you have many choices of save file editors, I highly recommend checking out APM's Monster Hunter Generations (x) save editor
13. In the save editor hit load, and browse through the folder JKSM, into a folder called something like MHG or Monster_Hunter and in there in the folders you should find a file called 'system' and a back up file. (I recommend making a copy of those files just in case of corruption, and even do a full back up of your 3DS files if you have the time).
14. Open system through the editor and edit to your hearts content
15. Save the file through save
16. Eject your SD card manually (what I mean is by right clicking on the SD card in 'My Computer' and hit eject) so there would be less risk of damaging your files
17. Physically eject it and plop it back into your system
18. Repeat steps 5-9
19. Now instead of exporting, do import and select the file that you named in step 10
20. It'll ask you if you really want to restore it, just hit yes (A) and once it's done you should be good to go!

Reactions: SoupLoop

SoupLoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how I got mine to work. I'll try to do it step by step as much as possible for anyone having trouble. (This will be for those doing Oot3DSHax since this is the only method I tried and worked)
(Currently works for version 11.0.0-33US or EU

1. Have homebrew installed
2. Download the JKSM zip named "JKSM 6-30-2016' from the releases section (https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases)
3. Drag and drop the 3ds folder into the SD card that carries your main 3DS files and homebrew.
4. Plop back the microsd card into your 3DS
5. Access homebrew through Oothax3DS
6. Switch the game cartridge to Monster Hunter Generations
7. Open JKSM in the homebrew and hit a or tap on the Monster Hunter Generations selection (if you can't find it try using the left and right buttons to browse through apps)
8. Screen should go black, and after a moment a screen with the options of Save Data Options, Extra Data Options, and Exit should show up. (If for some reason it doesn't work, don't panic, hold the power button to hard reset your system and repeat the process)
9. Go to export Extra Data Options since that is where the MHG save file should be located (in extradata)
10. Hit export ExtData and than hit new (you can name it whatever you want, hit a when your done)
11. Once it's done copying the system file turn of your system and plop the microsd card back into your computer.
12. Now you have many choices of save file editors, I highly recommend checking out APM's Monster Hunter Generations (x) save editor
13. In the save editor hit load, and browse through the folder JKSM, into a folder called something like MHG or Monster_Hunter and in there in the folders you should find a file called 'system' and a back up file. (I recommend making a copy of those files just in case of corruption, and even do a full back up of your 3DS files if you have the time).
14. Open system through the editor and edit to your hearts content
15. Save the file through save
16. Eject your SD card manually (what I mean is by right clicking on the SD card in 'My Computer' and hit eject) so there would be less risk of damaging your files
17. Physically eject it and plop it back into your system
18. Repeat steps 5-9
19. Now instead of exporting, do import and select the file that you named in step 10
20. It'll ask you if you really want to restore it, just hit yes (A) and once it's done you should be good to go!
Omg thank you so much it worked <3 i cant express my thanks enough you rock!

BlazeStoneZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a question i'm in homebrew and startup JKSM but when i click on monster hunter it goes to a Red screen and stays there.
I have the limited edition 3ds of monster hunter generations so it's pre-installed.

Is there a fix for this?
or do i need to try a lot of time and soon it will work.
or does JKSM only work with cartridges?

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a question i'm in homebrew and startup JKSM but when i click on monster hunter it goes to a Red screen and stays there.
I have the limited edition 3ds of monster hunter generations so it's pre-installed.

Is there a fix for this?
or do i need to try a lot of time and soon it will work.
or does JKSM only work with cartridges?

Should work on installed content too. Is this red screen happening on JKSM? If it's on homebrew, then keep trying. Homebrew has a knack for doing this kind of thing. lol

Last edited by SkittleDash,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...