[QUESTION] Installing .cia files without SD Card?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Vanmonky, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Vanmonky
    OP

Vanmonky Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2016
    Indonesia
    I'm sorry for asking such a noob question, but recently I found out that the only way to install the .cia files is by copying it to the SD card from the 3DS, which means that I have to open up the back of the 3DS. And it's frustrating knowing that every time I have a new game, I need to deal with the bolts and the case. It's so different when I have a DS. I only need to plug out the memory, plug it in to my PC and transfer the .ds game i just downloaded.

Is there any other way to install the .cia file without pulling out the SD card? I'm using 6.1 Luma 3DS, autoboot on my New 3DS XL.

2. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by Akira, Aug 23, 2016
  3. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    you can use freeshop to directly install games or ftp

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  4. ADS3500

ADS3500 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2016
    Canada
    You can do a wireless SD card transfer in system settings. The games will take a bit longer to transfer, but you won't have to remove the back cover. As other people said, you can use freeShop to download and install CIAs.

5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    You can also use CIAngel to download games as well. Can't believe people forgot about that program considering you can create .cia files to install later on and also download/install updates/dlc without having the game.

GilgameshArcher likes this.