[Question] Decrypt 9 NAND validation

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Majickhat55, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Majickhat55
    OP

Majickhat55 Jabberwocky Slayer

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Underland
    So, I was reading "the guide" after noticing a few people ended up with corrupted NAND dumps and only had one, resulting in them having to re-do the CTRtansfer and potentially lose most (if not all) of their data.

Since Decrypt9 doesn't validate NAND dumps when making a backup, wouldn't it be a good idea to prompt users to use the "Validate NAND dump" option before continuing? Then if their NAND dump IS corrupted they have a chance to make another before ending up SOL and not knowing until they are trying to restore everything. Just thinking since I've been seeing a lot of threads about it lately. Also, If I'm wrong just tell me to shut up Lol :D Thoughts?

2. Rfire

Rfire GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2005
    United States
    In tutorials it would be a good idea, but not in the program itself since Decrypt9 is the power user's utility for performing NAND backups. I think it would be a good idea for Hourglass9 though.

Though if it's just a non-intrusive nag that reminds you as it is backing up and isn't something that requires user input to dismiss then I think it's fine.

Personally, I create parity files (par2) for my NAND backups that I can use to repair corrupt parts of the original file if it ever erodes over time. But for the short term it's probably excessive.

Last edited by Rfire, Sep 20, 2016
    Majickhat55 likes this.
  3. Majickhat55
    OP

Majickhat55 Jabberwocky Slayer

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Underland
    Yeah I just meant in guides etc. Although, it wouldn't be a bad idea for an implementation in the program itself either. it's not like the validation takes long or anything. Better safe than sorry....