Hacking [QUESTION] Am I able to recover my old emuNAND from ReiNAND?

Romruto

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Some backstory.... I formatted my sd card due to it freezing before all of this. During my wanting to play this 3DS again, I turned it on and loaded into Rei's emuNAND as normal. Then I downloaded the new update files for ReiNAND. After that, I turned on my 3DS as normal and proceeded to use Rei. I thought to update the CFW on Rei to today's Nintendo 3DS FW. After that, things acted up strange like not loading into the System Settings and stalling until I had to hard shut down. It happened again and again, so I decided to use a backup of my old files before I updated ReiNAND files and Rei's emuNAND CFW. At this point, it stopped loading into the emuNAND and gave a black screen. Then I tried to format the SD card and move the backup'd files onto the sd card once more and nothing still. And finally, I ended up here asking questions about what to do.

Question(s):
After installing everything from this https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax) GUIDE, from start to finish, and still having the folder that has my 3DS savedata & rei files, am I able to recover my emuNAND?

This may be too late, but when I tried to backup my rei's emuNAND, during the step about backing up the sysNAND from the 3ds guide page, everything listed in GODMODE was only sysNAND and there was no emuNAND present to select from. Also, I highly believe that my New3DS was unlinked from the sysNAND and rei's emuNAND.

So even if they were unlinked and nothing was showing emuNAND in the list in GODMODE, was it even possible to recover my ReiNAND's emuNAND?

Clothahump

Trophies
XP
Country
Then I tried to format the SD card and move the backup'd files onto the sd card once more and nothing still.

This is where you killed your emuNAND. See, your 3DS' operating system has files both on its internal flash and the SD card (inside the folder named "Nintendo 3DS"). What emuNAND does is basically creating a new partition on your sd card equal the size of your 3DS' internal memory, and then copying all the files off that onto the new partition. CFWs can then choose to redirect all file operations going from and to NAND to your emuNAND partition on your SD card.

When you formatted your SD card, you more than likely killed that emuNAND partition (unless you specifically backed that up too), leaving you with the files from your visible data partition only. While it's true that most sava data for installed titles resides there, that stuff is encrypted using console-specific encryption, which (correct me if I'm wrong) even changes for your emuNAND when you unlink NANDs. If true, that would mean that you can't retrieve your emuNAND savedata at this point, even though you still have most of it backed up.

Last edited by Clothahump,

Romruto

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This is where you killed your emuNAND. See, your 3DS' operating system has files both on its internal flash and the SD card (inside the folder named "Nintendo 3DS"). What emuNAND does is basically creating a new partition on your sd card equal the size of your 3DS' internal memory, and then copying all the files off that onto the new partition. CFWs can then choose to redirect all file operations going from and to NAND to your emuNAND partition on your SD card.

When you formatted your SD card, you more than likely killed that emuNAND partition (unless you specifically backed that up too), leaving you with the files from your visible data partition only. While it's true that most sava data for installed titles resides there, that stuff is encrypted using console-specific encryption, which (correct me if I'm wrong) even changes for your emuNAND when you unlink NANDs. If true, that would mean that you can't retrieve your emuNAND savedata at this point, even though you still have most of it backed up.
Oh okay, I figured that was the case. Thank you for the reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...