Question about video card installation

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by cheez203, Jun 12, 2011.

Jun 12, 2011
  1. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hi guys,

I am planning on building a computer this summer, and i have a question about the graphics card installation. Can i install the graphics card after i install windows or should i install it with the fresh copy of windows 7? I think that i might be using the intergrated graphics for a while, until i save up for a readon hd 5850. Will i have trouble installing the drivers for the 5850 if i choose to buy it after a few months of using the intergrated graphics, or will it all work out? I have read that it is best to install video cards with a fresh copy of windows, but i am not willing to do a reinstall of windows after i buy the 5850 a few months later.

Thanks in advance!

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Installing it after is fine, and the drivers should not be difficult to do, even after the fact.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There is no reason why you can't just plug in a new graphics card and install the drivers afterwards. Something that is important though, is preparing the computer before you plug in the new graphics card.

When you're ready to insert a new graphics card, first uninstall the existing graphics drivers. That way, when you plug the new graphics card in, the drivers won't conflict with the new hardware. After you've got the graphics card in, just boot up and install the new drivers.

Until new drivers are installed, Windows will run of its stock drivers (it'll function, but you won't be able to make full use of the graphics card). It's also common for the graphics card to run louder until you get the proper drivers installed.

4. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    But make sure your CPU or mobo at least has integrated graphics. The not-so-new-anymore 2nd generation i3/i5/i7 chips have Intel HD 3000 graphics, for example.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Windows will automatically use a generic driver (without proper gaming functions) if there's no proper one installed, so it's safe to put the card in before you install windows.

6. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thanks guys. Yeah im sure i have integrated graphics. 890gpa ud3h with VGA, HDMI and DVI, with 128 mb sideport memory.