Hacking Question about updating OFW/CFW Switch.

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
A few months ago, I accidentaly updated my switch firmware when I'm in OFW mode (sysmmc). This causes my switch unable to boot into hekate, I forgot the exact details but I updated hekate and atmosphere (I think?) too because of it and it resolved the problem. Jumping to the present day, I want to update my switch again since I want to play Zelda TOTK in OFW later on since I pre-ordered the game. When I update sysmmc/ofw with the newest firmware do I need to update my cfw (hekate, atmosphere) in emummc too? Or is it separate and I need to update my OFW through Ninty's online services and CFW manually. Explanations would be appreciated.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You update via Nintendo server for OFW, as for CFW, Sysnand and OFW share the same NAND, unless you use an emunand, then you probably don't have a clean NAND, as for Emunand firmware update you use daybreak, and source your firmware like from that darthsternie site.

Reactions: marstone and Uzuka

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You update via Nintendo server for OFW, as for CFW, Sysnand and OFW share the same NAND, unless you use an emunand, then you probably don't have a clean NAND, as for Emunand firmware update you use daybreak, and source your firmware like from that darthsternie site.
My CFW is on emummc, so I guess it's a separate update then? I'm not sure what caused my switch unable to boot to hekate after updating in ofw a few months ago though. Maybe I need newer hekate too for new OFW firmware but not newer atmosphere?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My CFW is on emummc, so I guess it's a separate update then? I'm not sure what caused my switch unable to boot to hekate after updating in ofw a few months ago though. Maybe I need newer hekate too for new OFW firmware but not newer atmosphere?

If you can access eshop on OFW then you have a clean NAND. Make you use an updated version of Hekate.

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you can access eshop on OFW then you have a clean NAND. Make you use an updated version of Hekate.
I can, yeah.
Alright then, I think my statement here is correct, yes?

Uzuka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hekate 6.0.1 support firmware 15.0.1, so if should update to Hekate 6.0.3 to support 16.0.2 if you update to 16.0.2
Uh, I updated hekate to 6.0.3 and updated my firmware in sysnand ofw. Booted into hekate, launched sysnand and greeted with a blue screen... any tips?
Post automatically merged:

Uh, I updated hekate to 6.0.3 and updated my firmware in sysnand ofw. Booted into hekate, launched sysnand and greeted with a blue screen... any tips?
OFW is having problems now, I seem to boot into a blue screen. But cfw runs fine.

Just updated Atmosphere to 1.5.2, OFW and CFW runs fine now.

Last edited by Uzuka,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OFW is having problems now, I seem to boot into a blue screen. But cfw runs fine.

Yea you need to update Atmosphere when you update system firmware for CFW.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt update the system firmware for my CFW/Emummc only for my OFW/sysmmc. But it looks I still need to update AMS.

If you launch Atmosphere on Sysnand that might explain why you need 1.5.2, you could just use just to boot into stock.

fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
emummc_force_disable=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_switch.bmp

Dandan0404

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
so to be clear and summary...

OFW is updated through settings update console
emuNAND is updated through daybreak

update atmosphere and hekate before updating firmware...

is this right?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so to be clear and summary...

OFW is updated through settings update console
emuNAND is updated through daybreak

update atmosphere and hekate before updating firmware...

is this right?

That is correct, it is best to update cfw files before updating system firmware. Keep in mind ofw use nintendo server and emuNAND use daybreak.

Dandan0404

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
That is correct, it is best to update cfw files before updating system firmware. Keep in mind ofw use nintendo server and emuNAND use daybreak.
may i ask how to access pure OFW? sthehtix said dont boot into hekate since it bypasses fuse or semi-stock something

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
may i ask how to access pure OFW? sthehtix said dont boot into hekate since it bypasses fuse or semi-stock something

If you have modchip you can hold volume up and volume down while pressing the power button, that boot the system into stock. Not really any difference than going through hekate though.

Kagami-san

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.These-Internets.com
XP
Country
United States
Unless it's not available like right now.

What's wrong with updating it from Nintendo? I've never been banned from updating directly from Nintendo using SysMMC or EmuMMC personally.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless it's not available like right now.

What's wrong with updating it from Nintendo? I've never been banned from updating directly from Nintendo using SysMMC or EmuMMC personally.

You are just giving them a reason to flag you for a ban if you have pirated contents.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place