Hacking Question about the DSTWO on a 3DS

EriCKY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the DSTWO is inside my 3ds, if the system is on or even if its in sleep mode, my 3ds gets really hot and its battery is being drained rapidly.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? I don't want to turn off my system every time i decide to take a small break from a game..

EriCKY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thela_kid said:
what firmware of your dstwo and 3ds?

2.1.0-3U and i'm not sure of the dstwo firmware but i bought it from realhotstuff and it works automatically so they updated it beforehand

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EriCKY said:
When the DSTWO is inside my 3ds, if the system is on or even if its in sleep mode, my 3ds gets really hot and its battery is being drained rapidly.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? I don't want to turn off my system every time i decide to take a small break from a game..
That's also my biggest complaint about the dstwo and I hardly see anyone mention it. My 3ds can last an entire day in sleep mode, but with the dstwo inserted, I get only about 6 hours. The only thing I can think of is to remove the cart when I'm not playing, but I feel like I will break it every time I force the cart in.

EriCKY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yifan_lu said:
EriCKY said:

That's also my biggest complaint about the dstwo and I hardly see anyone mention it. My 3ds can last an entire day in sleep mode, but with the dstwo inserted, I get only about 6 hours. The only thing I can think of is to remove the cart when I'm not playing, but I feel like I will break it every time I force the cart in.

is this only with the dstwo and not other flashcarts? cause the only reason i got the dstwo was because it was considered to be the best with multiple options on as to how to not be blocked by nintendo

if other flashcarts wouldnt kill my battery i'd get a replacement

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
EriCKY said:
yifan_lu said:
EriCKY said:

is this only with the dstwo and not other flashcarts? cause the only reason i got the dstwo was because it was considered to be the best with multiple options on as to how to not be blocked by nintendo

Other flashcarts don't have this problem. It's because of the DSTWO's built-in CPU and RAM.

However, as you said, other flashcarts don't have nearly as many features, like GBA emulation, real-time menu options, and running any game without updating the firmware.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Acekard is ALWAYS in my 3DS, on or in sleep mode. It never gets hotter than when you play a legit game. It works great, but not as many cool features. (Real time cheats/saves, GBA games, etc)

EriCKY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
EriCKY said:
yifan_lu said:
EriCKY said:

Other flashcarts don't have this problem. It's because of the DSTWO's built-in CPU and RAM.

However, as you said, other flashcarts don't have nearly as many features, like GBA emulation, real-time menu options, and running any game without updating the firmware.

Thing is I thought that the DSTWO would only use more power when emulating the GBA or SNES, that's what I thought that setting was for (CPU Frequency?)

LearnIIBurn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to add to this thread, I know its been a while. My DSTWO that I just got on my 3DS with latest update (2.0.1_4 or whatever) eats my battery alive in sleep mode. I leave my DSTWO in for the same fear of taking it out and putting it in too much will break it. But leaving it in while the 3DS is asleep will definitely kill my battery in a matter of hours. That is a bummer.

Algernon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to get this a bit more specific. If I were to say, buy a DSTWO flash cart, is it understood that this flash cart runs basically the same as any other when it's just normally operating?

So to put it better, it only drains the battery like clockwork if the system is asleep, rather than normal operation?

Basically, does it drain more battery than any other flash cart if it's just doing what it is intended to do?

Sorry for being so repetitious, just making sure I'm being understood.

If not then I guess I'm getting an R4 gold to replace my EZflash Vi.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Most people assumed that the DSTwo would drain more battery, but the actual battery tests showed it's not actually a big deal (and is less than some other carts in certain situations).
http://gbatemp.net/t289020-the-ultimate-ds...ad-in-the-world

Yes, many carts seem to have issues with sleep mode for some reason, I'm not sure how the DSTwo functions with it normally.

Geirskogul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Most people assumed that the DSTwo would drain more battery, but the actual battery tests showed it's not actually a big deal (and is less than some other carts in certain situations).
http://gbatemp.net/t289020-the-ultimate-ds...ad-in-the-world

Yes, many carts seem to have issues with sleep mode for some reason, I'm not sure how the DSTwo functions with it normally.
The 3DS sleep mode, for whatever reason, leaves DS-mode carts pretty much fully active compared to the carts in a DSlite or DSi, and I can confirm that my 3DS doesn't stay in sleep mode (with wireless on for StreetPass) for more than a day or so with the DSTwo in, but will last many days (at least four) without the DSTwo in and my R4i 3D instead - the R4i is a dumb-flashcard, no processor. Those tests do not apply to the 3DS

KT_Cobra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the whole thread, and I believe only one person has said this, but wouldn't turning off the system when not using it defeat this whole problem? - or is there still processing going on somehow?

*noob talking here*

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
KT_Cobra said:
I read the whole thread, and I believe only one person has said this, but wouldn't turning off the system when not using it defeat this whole problem? - or is there still processing going on somehow?

*noob talking here*

Nope. When the system is turned off, power to the card slot halts as well.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
The CPU on the SCDS2 will continue to work as long as power is being applied to it. Power will be applied to it pretty much all the time it is plugged into a 3DS do to requiring a DS Compatibility mode, As you notice it doesn't complain about an error occurring if the cad is removed during play. Emulating games will require more power from the CPU but not much more.

What will drain it a lot quicker is for people to watch video's on it, pause it, then close the lid thinking they'll resume watching after a short break, that will sap your battery. Best practice is to turn it off completely and then use the resume features of the video process to continue from where you were.

I believe that there are a couple of modifications that could be made to the software and the Firmware of the SCDS2 that can reduce the drain on the battery and improve the battery life. I'll have to message Godslash once i'm done with my current projects.

If you like having streetpass on... take out the cartridge, however it shouldn't be necessary as the most the 3ds can give to tge SCDS2 is 3.3 volts, and you should have to do is return to the home screen AND close down the background task (SCDS2) so you're back on just the main menu this will educe battery consumption.

If all else fails and you are having crisis.... Get a 5000mah battery for the 3DS or get a different card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@