Hardware Question about SSD and Windows Laptop

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a little bit older Laptop with no SSD and I'm tired of the non responsiveness if I'm doing a couple of things at once like extracting, downloading and browing a lot of times the computer can't handle it. I am curious if I have any options to update it to a SSD or do I need to buy a new laptop all together? Like could I either get an external ssd and run windows from it or could I replace the internal hard drive with an ssd and reinstall windows somehow? I don't really want to lose my files though but just need to know my options. It's a Dell Laptop.

Last edited by Jayinem81,

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have a little bit older Laptop with no SSD and I'm tired of the non responsiveness if I'm doing a couple of things at once like extracting, downloading and browing a lot of times the computer can't handle it. I am curious if I have any options to update it to a SSD or do I need to buy a new laptop all together? Like could I either get an external ssd and run windows from it or could I replace the internal hard drive with an ssd and reinstall windows somehow? I don't really want to lose my files though but just need to know my options. It's a Dell Laptop.
You need to give more information. What exact laptop is it?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System Model Dell Inspiron 15-3567
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

I'm not trying to use it for newer PC games really and I know it's not a gaming PC, I just want it to be able to do normal functions without it saying not-responding all the time. Extracting PS4 games that are like 40 gb takes hours.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Last edited by raystriker,

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate it but do you know if I could just use it as an external hard drive but with windows on the external? I am not too technical to take apart a laptop like that I might be able to do it but then again I might not be able to put it back together lol I've had trouble with stuff like this in the past.

Edit: i didn't see the video. It may not be too bad.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I appreciate it but do you know if I could just use it as an external hard drive but with windows on the external? I am not too technical to take apart a laptop like that I might be able to do it but then again I might not be able to put it back together lol I've had trouble with stuff like this in the past.
It might be possible, but I do not recommend it. If the usb connection ever comes a bit loose, you might risk corruption.
Give the video a look, it actually looks like your laptop is very easy to take apart.

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm thinking if I'm going spend over $100 just for the hard drive maybe I should just upgrade to a newer laptop.

OTTH I can't afford $1000, maybe $600. Maybe someone could recommend me a decent laptop that is decent for games but not necessarily a beast I'm not usually a PC gamer but may as well take advantage.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Now I'm thinking if I'm going spend over $100 just for the hard drive maybe I should just upgrade to a newer laptop.
Yeah, it's a good time to upgrade to a better laptop. If you need help picking a replacement. I can help you with that. However, replacing the hdd with an ssd is still a good option as the 7th gen intel cpu is still a decent single core performer.

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
What do you think of this it's used but I don't really mind https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspi...755182?hash=item28983be9ee:g:IFsAAOSwoF9fEjTg

They upgraded the ram to 16 gb and it comes with SSD 250 gb + 1 tb hard drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

or this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-4th-G...091101?hash=item1a857388dd:g:A8AAAOSwZWpedPnO
Honestly, they're terrible for 300-400 usd. The new AMD laptops put them to complete shame.

Jayinem81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very interested in that Acer Nitro from Best Buy,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So like if I bought that Acer Nitro with 256 gb hard drive which is not very much, I could just use an additional external hard drive for more space I guess.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
@raystriker I changed my mind again and went with this this ssd it should work correct? https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...5+inch+ssd+1tb&qid=1595047397&sr=8-3&dchild=1

I'm just not a PC gamer to be buying an expensive laptop that I won't play. All the good PC games are on consoles nowadays anyway or the ones I care about.
yeah the ssd should be fine.
I'd still recommend looking into the first laptop I linked, it will honestly change the way you compute.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's really not bad you just think of cold cream cheese